Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum 2019

4 hours ago, OT2019Hopeful said:

Just received an acceptance to  U of A OT!! However, they are my 2nd choice- I am waiting on DAL. For Alberta they require acceptance by April 29th, does anyone know if I accept am I still able to decline later on? 

Ya you can always drop you would just lose your deposit. I'm in the same boat but waiting for U of T/UBC. So I'll probably wait til closer to the 29th then expedite U of A's letter if I haven't heard yet. 

8 hours ago, IsaOt said:

That calms my nerves a bit haha. 

Quick question: for the confidentiality paper, did you just email back a signed copy, or did you have to submit it somewhere? 

That's what I did and they didn't say anything so hopefully it's okay haha. I'm sure if they wanted otherwise they would have said. 

7 hours ago, OT2019Hopeful said:

Just received an acceptance to  U of A OT!! However, they are my 2nd choice- I am waiting on DAL. For Alberta they require acceptance by April 29th, does anyone know if I accept am I still able to decline later on? 

Huge congratulations to you!! Would you mind sharing what your GPA and experience was like?

2 hours ago, aspiring_OT said:

Ya you can always drop you would just lose your deposit. I'm in the same boat but waiting for U of T/UBC. So I'll probably wait til closer to the 29th then expedite U of A's letter if I haven't heard yet. 

7 hours ago, OT2019Hopeful said:

Yeah I am wondering the same thing as well. I also received an acceptance letter to U of A and I do live in Calgary, so I would be happy to go to my hometown school. I do, however, also really want to get into U of T and study there, so I am waiting on them as well. It's interesting that we already got U of A offers but ORPAS schools still have a month to go to post the decisions (on May 17th). So I'm in a bit of a dilemma I guess. But either way. the U of A offer was a pleasant surprise because I wasn't expecting it on my final day of undergrad!

UPDATE: Got in at UTSG so I will be going there! See you all in September!

Applied + (PT or OT?): UofA, UofT, Western, Queens OT

Accepted: UofT (UTSG), UofA, Queens, Western
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: ORPAS c-GPA 3.87 and s-GPA 3.81, UofA GPA 3.8 (provided by their admissions office)
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

In my undergrad experience these past few years, I conducted a study which was accepted in a major journal last year and will be published soon. I got my research supervisor to write my academic reference letters so I think that was a plus that I had some research experience as an undergraduate. I had also presented my work at the CAOT conference last year and I made sure to write about this in my resume and applicant essays since I learned a lot about the profession there despite having no direct experience with shadowing or as an OTA. I think my research experience as an undergrad student really added to my application. In addition, I had also presented my research at a few conferences across the country, so I am definitely interested in doing research while completing my OT studies as well.

My practicum supervisor this year wrote my professional reference, and since I had worked with her for an entire year I had developed pretty solid rapport her which helps a lot as well.

I come from a disability studies program, so I have a range of experiences collaborating with and supporting people with disabilities. Those experiences on inclusion and self-advocacy helped because I wrote about how I wanted to spend my lifelong learning efforts making sure that I provide my clients with as much resources and support to advocate for themselves.

I'm very happy and thankful to have gotten into the U of A, but the U of T is my top choice so far so I'm hoping I hear from them as well. But either way, best of luck to all of you as well and I hope to meet some of you regardless of where I do decide to go!

6 hours ago, courrtt said:

Huge congratulations to you!! Would you mind sharing what your GPA and experience was like?

Thanks so much!! 

I am not sure how Alberta calculated my GPA. My sGPA according to ORPAS was 3.7/4.0 & cGPA was 3.5/4.0 However, looking at my 3rd/4th year courses only my sGPA is 4.1/4.3. 

Honestly, I was kind of surprise to get an acceptance from the first round. I do not have a ton of experience- solely volunteering with an Occupational therapist for one summer. But I did have two strong references letters- one from a prof I knew well and one from an occupational therapist I had volunteered with. I believe my CASPER test was strong, and I spent a lot of time formulating my intent statements. I am very happy to get accepted somewhere! Good luck to everyone!

4 hours ago, Maria21 said:

O.T--

Kindly...inform,if any one have received interview calls from Macgill,Qeens and U o Toronto ??

Queen's, McGill, and UofT do not do OT interviews. With Queen's and UofT, you will get either accepted, rejected, or waitlisted on May 17th. McGill isn't quite as clear, though I would say we should hear at least something by the end of May. 

1 hour ago, OTdokie said:

Queen's, McGill, and UofT do not do OT interviews. With Queen's and UofT, you will get either accepted, rejected, or waitlisted on May 17th. McGill isn't quite as clear, though I would say we should hear at least something by the end of May. 

oTdokie..Thank you very much for info.