Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum 2019

13 hours ago, OT(One Day) said:

Hey guys! 

Does anyone know how to decline an offer once accepted? Is this done through a portal or direct e-mail with the University? 

On 4/12/2019 at 5:21 PM, OT2019Hopeful said:

Just received an acceptance to  U of A OT!! However, they are my 2nd choice- I am waiting on DAL. For Alberta they require acceptance by April 29th, does anyone know if I accept am I still able to decline later on? 

I emailed the U of A OT department and they told me we can withdraw our attendance at any time after accepting the offer by emailing them. You would of course have to forfeit the $175 deposit. Doing so will not affect our future applications to their program either, which is nice if something falls through!

Applied + (PT or OT?): [Occupational Therapy for all]: Queens, U of T, McMaster, Western, U of A
Accepted: 
Waitlisted: U of A 
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa:  ORPAS: C:3.56 S:3.79

Interview: Mcmaster (online) 
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

Strong history of volunteer experience with Alzheimer Society and with LTC recreation therapy. Completed an undergrad in recreation with a focus in therapeutic recreation, which is very applicable to the field of OT with coursework focused on assessment, planning, implementation and evaluating goals for clients recovery. 16-week full-time clinical experience for CTRS internship with a population of older adults in ADP and LTC. Completed honours thesis research project and work term with a widely recognized sporting event. Won award for most outstanding student 2018. Reference letter from Honours supervisor and volunteer supervisor at AS, I feel they gave me good references (I read one before submission). Job shadowed two OT's, one in stroke rehab and one in mental health/addictions. An informed decision in choosing OT and very comfortable in an interview setting. I feel my letters of intent were well composed and edited by two family GP's who conduct Med school interviews/intake each year. I worry my GPA will be my biggest hindrance; before ORPAS my Cumulative was 3.66 instead of 3.56 and I only have one course under 80% in the last 20 half courses. The cut off of 85% for 3.9 instead of 80% really affected my GPA conversion. 

Good luck, everyone! 

1 hour ago, CurrentCTRS_WannabeOT said:

Applied + (PT or OT?): [Occupational Therapy for all]: Queens, U of T, McMaster, Western, U of A
Accepted: 
Waitlisted: U of A 
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa:  ORPAS: C:3.56 S:3.79

Interview: Mcmaster (online) 
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

Strong history of volunteer experience with Alzheimer Society and with LTC recreation therapy. Completed an undergrad in recreation with a focus in therapeutic recreation, which is very applicable to the field of OT with coursework focused on assessment, planning, implementation and evaluating goals for clients recovery. 16-week full-time clinical experience for CTRS internship with a population of older adults in ADP and LTC. Completed honours thesis research project and work term with a widely recognized sporting event. Won award for most outstanding student 2018. Reference letter from Honours supervisor and volunteer supervisor at AS, I feel they gave me good references (I read one before submission). Job shadowed two OT's, one in stroke rehab and one in mental health/addictions. An informed decision in choosing OT and very comfortable in an interview setting. I feel my letters of intent were well composed and edited by two family GP's who conduct Med school interviews/intake each year. I worry my GPA will be my biggest hindrance; before ORPAS my Cumulative was 3.66 instead of 3.56 and I only have one course under 80% in the last 20 half courses. The cut off of 85% for 3.9 instead of 80% really affected my GPA conversion. 

Good luck, everyone! 

do you know if you're in the upper or lower half of the UofA waitlist?

Applied + (PT or OT?): All OT - U of A, McMaster, Western, Dalhousie 

Accepted: U of A
Waitlisted: U of A, Dalhousie 
Rejected: McMaster (initially waitlisted for interview but ultimately didn’t receive a spot), Western
GPA: ORPAS cum GPA: 3.04, ORPAS sub-gpa 3.55, U of A sub-gpa 3.62/4 
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references

Completed my BSc and worked as an OTA. I also volunteered for 2 years and then worked for 2 years at a centre for individuals with autism in the role of community program aid and behavioural interventionist. I had one research publication as a second author in a peer reviewed journal and presented my research at a conference. I used the OT I work under and my Research Supervisor as my work and academic references respectively. I had multiple people (friends, profs, peers) from different academic backgrounds overlook my statement of intent and CV so I think they were fairly strong. Casper went decently as well I think! 

Applied: All OT, U of A, Western, Queens, U of T & McMaster 
Accepted: U of A, Queens, Western, U of T (Mississauga) 
Waitlisted: McMaster
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa: U of A sGPA: 3.84, Orpas sGPA: 3.81 Orpas cGPA 3.55
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Received interview at Mac unsure of how it went. Lots of volunteer experience with children and older adults. Shadowed two different OTs, one of whom was a reference. Honours supervisor was the other reference. 

2 hours ago, Elle_ said:

Applied: All OT, U of A, Western, Queens, U of T & McMaster 
Accepted: U of A 
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa: U of A sGPA: 3.84, Orpas sGPA: 3.81 Orpas cGPA 3.55
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Received interview at Mac unsure of how it went. Lots of volunteer experience with children and older adults. Shadowed two different OTs, one of whom was a reference. Honours supervisor was the other reference. 

Congrats! Is u of a your top choice? 

10 hours ago, CurrentCTRS_WannabeOT said:

Unfortunately I’m in the lowered half (50-100) so I guess u of a isn’t an option. I didn’t calculate my u of a gpa, does anyone know the scale or have a link to it?

This is what the U of A has on their website: 

https://www.ualberta.ca/registrar/examinations/assessment-and-grading/grading-system-explained

Descriptor Letter Grade Grade Point Value

Excellent

A+

A

A-

Good

B+

B

B-

Satisfactory

C+

C

C-

Poor

D+

Minimal Pass

D

Failure

F

2 hours ago, OTHopeful222 said:

Yeah I did! I got the email this afternoon, but I'm not sure how hopeful to be...I'm not sure what the movement is like or how many people are typically on the waitlist

Do you mind sharing your stats as well as if you’re maritime or non-maritime?