Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum 2019

Hello! (:

First time applicant here. I didn't expect to apply for any form of graduate school but here I am 2 years after completing my undergrad and ready to keep learning! It's nice to have found a forum with like-minded people especially now that the most stressful part of the application (waiting) has started.

Applied OT: Dalhousie University
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected: 
GPA: 3.78 in most recent 60 credit hours
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: No Interview/Letter of Intent/Essays required for Dal. Reference letters by (1) Undergrad Thesis supervisor under whom I worked as a lab coordinator and TA and (2) Dean of Science whose lab I volunteered in for 2.5 years. Currently working as a leader in the field of mental health, however I don't know whether this was even brought up as references follow a rubric. My supervisor did end up writing a letter on top of the rubric and I'm not sure what the selection committee will make of this (too eager? bad communication? or, hopefully, good that I have profs that care that much? anyway)

I can't wait to come back to this forum and see you all share your successes!

Applied (OT): UBC, UAlberta, Mac, Western, Queen's, UT 
Accepted: UT , UAlberta
Waitlisted: UBC, Mac (both after interview)
Rejected: Western, Queen's
GPA: ORPAS c-gpa 3.4, ORPAS s-gpa 3.84, UBC percentage 90% (based on last 45 upper level credits)
Extracurriculars: 2 years experience working as a behavioural interventionist and educational assistant with children on the spectrum. Job shadowed OTs in various settings such as hospital, mental health & addiction, peds, hand therapy.  

Applied: OT at UWO, UofT and McMaster U

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: C-GPA - 3.24, GPA (20 full credits) - 3.85, Sub-GPA (10 full credits) - 3.9

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

- Volunteer and professional experience: Volunteered at Children's Aid Society of Toronto and Arts Youth Drop in Centre for marginalized and homeless youth in the GTA. I currently work as an Instructor Behaviour Therapist (working with children with Autism Spectrum Disorder) and as an Resource Consultant and Facilitator, helping individuals overcome barriers to employment. I have also shadowed Occupational Therapists in 3 different settings over the course of several months.

- References: I used one work reference and one professor whose lab I volunteered in as well (one work reference and one academic reference as specified by UofT)

• 2 weeks later...

Applied + (PT or OT?): UBC, UofT, McMaster, Wester (OT for all)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected: UBC (pre-interview)
GPA:c-gpa 3.32 and 3.48

Volunteered with two occupational therapy services in Ontario, both working with children aged 5 to 12. One was more of a classroom setting where we worked on a variety of skills, and the other focussed on improving printing/writing abilities. Volunteered with a few physio clinics, so that included working with physiotherapists, massage therapists, and chiropractors (I also got to spend a little time with an athletic therapist). Did co-op with a physio clinic, integrative health clinic, university health services, and a centre for youth with disabilities (each for four months).

I am very concerned about getting in this year (because of my low gpa) and have already started considering other options.

4 hours ago, beee said:

Congrats! What was your GPA if you don't mind?

For UBC my GPA is 85%. For ORPAS cGPA of 3.65 and sGPA of 3.78.

I feel like I interview quite well but a bit nervous! Apparently, the interviewers are quite stagnant in their expressions and responses. Would be a dream come true to get in, definitely my number 1 choice.

On 12/14/2018 at 4:54 PM, Rajalgool said:

Applied + (PT or OT?): PT UBC, Western, Queens, UK, Ireland
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: sGPA: 3.75 UBC GPA: 85%
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Essays should be strong volunteered at a neuro physio clinic for a year and a half, tons of coaching experience and some cool life experiences, very strong academic and professional references. 

If you don't mind me asking, where in the UK did you apply? :)

13 hours ago, OTdokie said:

If you don't mind me asking, where in the UK did you apply? :)

To Brunnel and St. George's. Both In London. They have much lower standards for entrance and the tuition isn't vastly different from Canadian schools. Also seems like there is a good contingency of Canadians at those schools and they try to ensure that you get the necessary practical hours for your board exams. With that being said my GPA from my undergraduate is still too low and they do not look at any upgrades you have done, so I did not even get an invite to Brunnel, still waiting to hear back from St. George. I used Across the Pond to Apply and the advisor was helpful and the service was free. Also, you can still apply. 

6 hours ago, Rajalgool said:

To Brunnel and St. George's. Both In London. They have much lower standards for entrance and the tuition isn't vastly different from Canadian schools. Also seems like there is a good contingency of Canadians at those schools and they try to ensure that you get the necessary practical hours for your board exams. With that being said my GPA from my undergraduate is still too low and they do not look at any upgrades you have done, so I did not even get an invite to Brunnel, still waiting to hear back from St. George. I used Across the Pond to Apply and the advisor was helpful and the service was free. Also, you can still apply. 

I applied to Glasgow Caledonian University for Occupational Therapy. I sent an email to Across the Pond to see what some other options might be. Thanks for the info! 

Applied: U of T, uOttawa, Dalhousie (all PT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: c-gpa 3.33 and s-gpa 3.82

Casper - felt like I did decently well but honestly who knows. 

Academic References (for U of T and Dal) pretty good - Personal Reference (U of T only) was great. 

Volunteering etc: I am a yoga instructor and have done volunteering with clients with physical and mental disabilities in that context. 

So far, I have only heard back from uOttawa - and will be interviewing next week!

Applied + (PT or OT?): Queens, Western, McMaster, Dalhousie, UBC (PT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected: UBC
GPA: sgpa 3.80/4.0, 3.86/4.3

Currently working in a multidisciplinary clinic as a kin for the past 1.5 years. Worked with multiple populations including musculoskeletal, cognitive and mental disorders and disabilities. Worked as a server/bartender for 7 years, so I love working with people and social interactions - definitely helped in developing soft skills. Volunteered with a number of programs like cardiac rehab, fitness classes at a nursing home and working with children with special needs.

References were good. One from a professor that I've had for 2 years and is currently the head of his department within the university, the other is a co-owner of the clinic that I'm currently working at who acts as a mentor and supervisor with programs that involve mostly musculoskeletal disorders.

I thought essays were generally good, some grammatical errors. I focused on what I've learned so far and how my experiences improve my abilities as a clinician. Emphasis on how much more there is to learn and what goals I have moving forward in the healthcare field.