Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum 2019

On 5/17/2019 at 3:28 PM, ot288 said:

Applied: (All OT) UBC, UofT, Western, Queens, UofA 

Accepted: UofT, Western, UofA

Rejected: UBC 

Waitlisted: Queens

Stats: 3.33 (cGPA), 3.84 (sGPA), 93% UBC GPA, ~300 hours of hospital ECU volunteering, Canucks Autism Network volunteer and staff work, couple semesters of undergrad co-op research in unrelated field (pulp and paper). 

Congrats to everyone who got the happy emails today! For those with less than happy emails, please keep your chin up. I was in the exact same position last year and I remember it felt like complete death and despair, but as cliche as it sounds it will all just be a distant memory to you next year when you're preparing to start your dream career. It's all about the journey, not the destination. 

My first choice was UBC since I was born and raised in Vancouver and it would save me from going into debt for living expenses (due to not being able to work during the two years and having to live away from home). After the interview I was pretty much auto-rejected (second time, didn't get an interview last year though) which was quite discouraging, but U of A was a close second and I was super stoked to receive such an early offer to U of A. I accepted U of A a few weeks back and have been pretty set on it due to it because closer to home relative to other schools, and also its housing costs and employment/wage prospects in Alberta. 

I just received the U of T and Western emails while on vacation overseas so I've been trying to discuss with family and the general sentiment is that they want me to stick with U of A (which I do too). Based on friends' descriptions of Toronto and Ontario in general though, it sounds like such an amazing place to live (aside from the costs) and this is definitely tempting me. I'm loving the info and opinions that are being shared on this forum/thread (including that informative back-and-forth about UofT a few posts above). Would greatly appreciate some more info from current OT students on their experiences in any of these Canadian OT schools. I plan on confirming my decision over the next few days and freeing up some spots on the waitlist! 

Cheers 

Hi,

May I ask what you did differently this year to be a better applicant? I'm currently waitlisted and I'm for sure not going to be accepted lol.

I was waitlisted for Western, Mac and Toronto OT. I was 25th for Mac and found out last Monday that I got in! Looking forward to meeting you all in September! :)

I was also wondering if anyone knows if there is a Facebook group for our incoming class of 2021 at Mac?

On 6/6/2019 at 6:34 AM, OTplease2019 said:

Congratulations! Do you mind sharing your sub GPA and where you are from? I am not even sure how they arrange the waitlist. I already accepted an offer somewhere else but I would way rather stay in the maritimes! :)

Sorry for the delayed reply - I'm applying from Ontario, I honestly don't remember my subGPA as I threw out the stress-inducing pieces of paper with the calculations once I got my first confirmed offer. But I can tell you it wasn't on the high end of the spectrum.

Does anyone know how the waitlist works for Western PT program? I was ready to give up this year because I got an email saying that I was on the lower third of the waitlist. But  I got a call from Western around 1 PM today that I've given an offer to attend their program in the fall. I was super excited but now I think they may have called the wrong person and now I'm worried. Ironically, last year I was on the top third and I was expecting a call throughout the summer but it never came. So do I have the waitlist positions mixed up (the lower third is actually the best chance of getting accepted instead of the other way around) or maybe they made a mistake in the initial email and I was meant to be on the top third of the waitlist this year? The woman on the phone told me that an official offer on ORPAS would come in a day or two but I am still in disbelief.

7 hours ago, NewAtThis said:

Does anyone know how the waitlist works for Western PT program? I was ready to give up this year because I got an email saying that I was on the lower third of the waitlist. But  I got a call from Western around 1 PM today that I've given an offer to attend their program in the fall. I was super excited but now I think they may have called the wrong person and now I'm worried. Ironically, last year I was on the top third and I was expecting a call throughout the summer but it never came. So do I have the waitlist positions mixed up (the lower third is actually the best chance of getting accepted instead of the other way around) or maybe they made a mistake in the initial email and I was meant to be on the top third of the waitlist this year? The woman on the phone told me that an official offer on ORPAS would come in a day or two but I am still in disbelief.

I was in the middle third and got a call a couple weeks ago of my acceptance! I wasn't thinking I would get in there based on what people said about how far they usually go down. I would say they are going down further on the wait list this year than usual. Congrats!!

On 6/18/2019 at 3:29 PM, NewAtThis said:

OMG SAME! I received my call at around 10am and spelled out my last name twice to ask if she was calling the right person. She responded by also stating my address LOLL. I was also lower third so don't be worried! :) Congratulations! 

Also for future ppl: 

Applied + (PT or OT?): PT UofT, Mac, Western
Accepted: Western 
Waitlisted: Western 
Rejected: UofT, Mac 
GPA: s-GPA 3.86 
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Essays were decent as I got them proof read by my MD and PharmD buddies. Interviews were bad. References were decent. One was from a PT I volunteered for for 1.5 years and academic was from a lecturer I knew for a semester.  Volunteer experiences include MSK exposure in a private clinic and cardioresp in a hospital. Work is just admin in physio clinic and retail. Volunteer research in respiratory in a hospital.  

4 hours ago, HelloPT said:

OMG SAME! I received my call at around 10am and spelled out my last name twice to ask if she was calling the right person. She responded by also stating my address LOLL. I was also lower third so don't be worried! :) Congratulations! 

Also for future ppl: 

Applied + (PT or OT?): PT UofT, Mac, Western
Accepted: Western 
Waitlisted: Western (lower third)
Rejected: UofT (did not get CAP), Mac (post Kira)
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa c-GPA 3.13, s-GPA 3.86 (Yeah my cgpa makes me wanna cry lol)
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Essays were decent as I got them proof read by my MD and PharmD buddies. Interviews were bad. References were decent. One was from a PT I volunteered for for 1.5 years and academic was from a lecturer I knew for a semester.  Volunteer experiences include MSK exposure in a private clinic and cardioresp in a hospital. Work is just admin in physio clinic and retail. Volunteer research in respiratory in a hospital.  

Wow, that makes me very relieved to hear. Congratulations to you as well! I'm surprised you didn't get a CAP exam invite as your GPA was quite good.