Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum 2019

Hi everyone, 

I mailed an additional reference letter using Canada Post to Dalhousie for its OT program from the OT I work under (in a sealed envelope of course) but it doesn’t show next to my application summary. I tried emailing the office of graduate studies and they said to contact the faculty itself. Who would I contact specifically to check this? Chrissy? I’m just nervous because I felt like it really added to my application’s overall strength. 

Applied + (PT or OT?): Dal OT (Maritime resident)
Accepted: recommend to FGS
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa: c-gpa - 4.2 / s-gpa: 4.3 
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

No essays or interviews required. Acceptance based on gpa from third and fourth year and average across prerequisite courses. References included a professor whom I have had for a variety of psychology courses as well as research methods classes (All A+’s) and a physiology professor whom I’ve taken 2/3 prerequisite courses with (A / A+).  *currently enrolled in final prerequisite course. 

I am am not sure whether the recommendation to the faculty of graduate studies indicates I have been accepted (but it’s exciting nonetheless)!

3 minutes ago, MaybeOTMaybeNo said:

Applied + (PT or OT?): Dal OT (Maritime resident)
Accepted: recommend to FGS
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa: c-gpa - 4.2 / s-gpa: 4.3 
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

No essays or interviews required. Acceptance based on gpa from third and fourth year and average across prerequisite courses. References included a professor whom I have had for a variety of psychology courses as well as research methods classes (All A+’s) and a physiology professor whom I’ve taken 2/3 prerequisite courses with (A / A+).  *currently enrolled in final prerequisite course. 

I am am not sure whether the recommendation to the faculty of graduate studies indicates I have been accepted (but it’s exciting nonetheless)!

Congrats!!! I believe this means the FGS has to do its due diligence on your application to ensure you didn’t lie about anything and then you are accepted to the program once this is done! So essentially yes!!

Applied + (PT or OT?): Dal, UofT, Queens, Western (OT)
Accepted: Dal
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa: s-GPA: 3.91/4.3, (3.81/4.0)
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: One from my undergraduate Honours supervisor, and another from a professor that I also do research with. For UofT and Queen's, I used a professional reference who I worked with in a rehabilitation program. Unsure of how my ORPAS essays were, but I don't believe they were exceptional. 

13 minutes ago, UndecidedMD said:

Applied + (PT or OT?): Dal, UofT, Queens, Western (OT)
Accepted: Dal
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa: s-GPA: 3.91/4.3, (3.81/4.0)
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: One from my undergraduate Honours supervisor, and another from a professor that I also do research with. For UofT and Queen's, I used a professional reference who I worked with in a rehabilitation program. Unsure of how my ORPAS essays were, but I don't believe they were exceptional. 

Congratulations!! That's awesome! What's your c-gpa, if you don't mind me asking? Also, are you a Maritime student?

Has anyone else applied for OT at U of A? I know the website says notifications come in mid-May but I’ve been on this forum psyching myself out so I decided to share my stats!

Applied + (PT or OT?): University of Alberta (OT)
Accepted: 
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa: c-GPA 3.9 s-GPA 3.85 
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I have experience working with children and vulnerable populations over four years in both a group home and as a teacher in northern Alberta. I would like to complete the program with an Indigenous Focus as I expect to be working in rural and northern Alberta. I received references from the Principal at the school I work in and a professor that I had during my BEd. I am worried about how I did on the CASPer test and how my official GPA will be translated - my graduating university has a more generous threshold for 4.0 scores than most. Any advice/experiences/kind words are welcome !

Hi everyone! 

I have been reading a few posts from students sharing their cGPA & sGPA. I noticed that majority have sGPA of 3.9’s and cGPA of 3.7/3.8. I applied to UofT for OT and the program website mentioned that the average for last year’s class was a 3.7. From what ORPAS calculated, my cGPA is 3.2 and sGPA is 3.75 I understand there’s no way to really know for sure until I hear back from the university, but I was just curious whether I even stand a good chance considering how competitive it seems to have gotten this year. 

Any thoughts/feedback would be greatly appreciated! 

36 minutes ago, futureOT08 said:

Hi everyone! 

I have been reading a few posts from students sharing their cGPA & sGPA. I noticed that majority have sGPA of 3.9’s and cGPA of 3.7/3.8. I applied to UofT for OT and the program website mentioned that the average for last year’s class was a 3.7. From what ORPAS calculated, my cGPA is 3.2 and sGPA is 3.75 I understand there’s no way to really know for sure until I hear back from the university, but I was just curious whether I even stand a good chance considering how competitive it seems to have gotten this year. 

Any thoughts/feedback would be greatly appreciated! 

I would say you definitely stand a chance! UofT only looks at your sGPA, and I would say with a 3.75 you'd be considered a competitive applicant. 

4 hours ago, Maria21 said:

I did not receive any email for OT  from Ontario universites,Dal and Mcgill .May be my GPA is disappointing factor ?.

Does above universities ask for interview for OT or just send an email for acceptance ??

Do they keep some applicants  in waiting List ?

I know that Dal and Queens OT does not have interviews! And I know these two universities will send out waiting list (will tell you if you are on the waiting list)!

5 hours ago, Maria21 said:

I did not receive any email for OT  from Ontario universites,Dal and Mcgill .May be my GPA is disappointing factor ?.

Does above universities ask for interview for OT or just send an email for acceptance ??

Do they keep some applicants  in waiting List ?

I applied to McGill also and my status is still in review for OT and PT. McGill has a waiting list but they did not send admission offers yet. 

Applied + (PT or OT?): Queens, McMaster, UofT, Western - ALL PT
Accepted: QUEENS, WESTERN
Waitlisted: UOFT
Rejected: MAC
GPA: sGPA: 3.86
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I think my references are fairly strong. My professional reference is the owner of the physio clinic I volunteered at, while my academic reference is the professor I worked with in the summer and then did my 4th year research project with. Volunteer experience: two physio clinics ~140 hours total, cardiac rehab ~40 hours, biomechanics research lab ~700 hours, motion ball (sports tournament for students with disabilities) ~ 10 hours, student exec of residence building in first year ~ 250 hours, exec on intramural committee ~ 100 hours. Essays: Seemed to take me forever to write, but I think they are fairly solid. 

Note: interviewed for McMaster and invited to CAP at UofT. 

Edited by i-hope-i-get-it
updated whether I got accepted

8 hours ago, TeacherOT said:

Has anyone else applied for OT at U of A? I know the website says notifications come in mid-May but I’ve been on this forum psyching myself out so I decided to share my stats!

Applied + (PT or OT?): University of Alberta (OT)
Accepted: 
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa: c-GPA 3.9 s-GPA 3.85 
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I have experience working with children and vulnerable populations over four years in both a group home and as a teacher in northern Alberta. I would like to complete the program with an Indigenous Focus as I expect to be working in rural and northern Alberta. I received references from the Principal at the school I work in and a professor that I had during my BEd. I am worried about how I did on the CASPer test and how my official GPA will be translated - my graduating university has a more generous threshold for 4.0 scores than most. Any advice/experiences/kind words are welcome !

I applied to UofA for OT! They are my first choice so it's definitely hard to wait this long.  It sounds like you have great experience so hopefully you have a good chance! 

On 4/2/2019 at 7:54 AM, futureOT08 said:

I am on the same boat as you. I have only applied to two OT schools (Mac being one of them), so I am also wondering what my chances of getting accepted into the other one (UofT) is looking like. Were you put on the waitlist for the MMI? And if you don’t mind me asking, what was your cGPA / sGPA. 

I am concerned because Mac sends out invitations to 300 applicants whereas UofT accepts only 130, so I don’t know if my chances of getting accepted to UofT are very slim now that I was waitlisted (and eventually rejected) for the MMI. On the other hand, I know that everyone applies to Mac because they don’t require anything besides a transcript so it may also be more competitive for that reason. 

Any thoughts? 

My sGPA is only 3.68 and my cGPA is a 3.3. Does anyone think I have no chance this year? I really don't know if I have a chance if I was waitlisted for MMI and everyone else seems to have super high GPAs 

8 hours ago, OT/PT said:

For Dal OT does everyone else's acceptance letter say they would like to "recommend you for admission as a full-time student in the OT program"? Or is this different than an offer of admission?

Mine says that as well. I believe it is because the FGS (Faculty of Graduate Studies) has the final say. Rarely do you get accepted by the School of Occupational Therapy and rejected by FGS. They say the FGS mails you a letter with their decision... I hope it does not take long, I am also anxious to hear from them just so I know it is 100% final hahaha