Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum 2019

On 4/2/2019 at 7:54 AM, futureOT08 said:

I am on the same boat as you. I have only applied to two OT schools (Mac being one of them), so I am also wondering what my chances of getting accepted into the other one (UofT) is looking like. Were you put on the waitlist for the MMI? And if you don’t mind me asking, what was your cGPA / sGPA. 

I am concerned because Mac sends out invitations to 300 applicants whereas UofT accepts only 130, so I don’t know if my chances of getting accepted to UofT are very slim now that I was waitlisted (and eventually rejected) for the MMI. On the other hand, I know that everyone applies to Mac because they don’t require anything besides a transcript so it may also be more competitive for that reason. 

Any thoughts? 

Mac invites 300 students with the highest GPA however, those same 300 students likely have applied to other (maybe even several) schools as well. No student can accept more than one offer and from my understanding Mac is the only school who initially ranks applicant solely based on their Sub-GPA. Other schools may only weigh students GPA as 25% of their overall application. I would argue that a students references, letter of intent, resume, CASPer Result and any other materials (more or less, depending on where you applied) will have a greater influence on an applicants success than a really high GPA (with the exception of Mac). After speaking with professionals in the field, professors and previous graduates, I think graduate schools are looking for a well rounded applicant. 

I received my rejection letter today for McGill PT. Reason: I was not in top portion of files based on GPA and Casper. My GPA is 3.5. For Casper, I thought I did better than last year. Last year, I was told had I done better on it,  I'd be in the top 100. I guess it means I didn't make it to the top 100 again. Good luck to everyone! 

Hi Everyone,

I just have a quick question! I'm planning to apply to Western University's OT program next year, and I've been looking at the website to prepare. I haven't read anything about references. Are references required for Western University, or is admission just based on Sub GPA, personal submissions, volunteer experience and CASPER score? 

Thanks!

21 hours ago, Lhomsi said:

I received my rejection letter today for McGill PT. Reason: I was not in top portion of files based on GPA and Casper. My GPA is 3.5. For Casper, I thought I did better than last year. Last year, I was told had I done better on it,  I'd be in the top 100. I guess it means I didn't make it to the top 100 again. Good luck to everyone! 

Did they mention anything about video statement or background courses on your letter? My letter stated that I was not on the top portion of files based on all four criteria, so I am just wondering if everyone gets that on their rejection letter or it was just me (lol :( ).

Hey guys! For any of you who are interested in Physiotherapy and are trying to decide on which program you're going into, some girls in my  McMaster Physiotherapy class released a podcast about what you can expect from McMaster PT. We all contributed to it and it is very informative! :) 

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/therabaes/id1451321143

https://www.instagram.com/therabaes_physio/

4 hours ago, believeinOT2019 said:

Did they mention anything about video statement or background courses on your letter? My letter stated that I was not on the top portion of files based on all four criteria, so I am just wondering if everyone gets that on their rejection letter or it was just me (lol :( ).

I have no idea but since they mentioned all three I think it means you went further than I did. They at least saw your CV and video. I dont think they saw mine to judge it. Could I ask what your stats are ? GPA and strength? 

10 hours ago, OThopesdreams said:

Hi Everyone,

I just have a quick question! I'm planning to apply to Western University's OT program next year, and I've been looking at the website to prepare. I haven't read anything about references. Are references required for Western University, or is admission just based on Sub GPA, personal submissions, volunteer experience and CASPER score? 

Thanks!

Yes, you're right - Western OT doesn't use references! This link should help as well!

11 hours ago, Lhomsi said:

I have no idea but since they mentioned all three I think it means you went further than I did. They at least saw your CV and video. I dont think they saw mine to judge it. Could I ask what your stats are ? GPA and strength? 

That's pretty strange, you would think they score all of the materials at once for each candidate then arrange the files accordingly. I applied with a 3.54 cgpa, my video statement was really strong in my opinion, since they dont score the CV I really took the time to speak about my experience in research and working with vulnerable populations. I also spoke in french/english to demonstrate that I am fluent in both languages. My CASPer was a bit shaky, I excelled in some questions and others not so much. I hope that helps and let me know if you have other questions.

14 hours ago, georgiaPT said:

Hey guys! For any of you who are interested in Physiotherapy and are trying to decide on which program you're going into, some girls in my  McMaster Physiotherapy class released a podcast about what you can expect from McMaster PT. We all contributed to it and it is very informative! :)

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/therabaes/id1451321143

https://www.instagram.com/therabaes_physio/

Thanks so much- I'm looking forward to the next application cycle!

Hey everyone,

I just called the U of A OT admissions office. They gave me the following information:

They have not gone down the waitlist at all yet but so far will only be going down 3 spots (I’m sure tons more movement will occur once Ontario schools are out)

They also told me that although I’m in the top half of the waitlist that I am in the second quarter so 25-50 range. 

Good luck to everyone continuing to wait and don’t worry if you haven’t heard anything yet.