Premed 101 Forums

5th year or masters

Trunkate

I'm new here and would appreciate any advice on whether I'd be better off doing a 5th year or a research focused masters program. 

Currently in my 4th year of undergrad. Ontario resident. Very low cGPA: ~ 3.32 (3.35/2.83/3.8) on the OMSAS scale. I'm confident going into this year and am aiming for 3.95+. On the right track so far. I wrote the MCAT this August and got a 516 (131/127/128/130). I'm likely going to retake to try and get a 129+ CARS. I applied to Western and McMaster this year but am not expecting anything. Will be applying to Queens, McMaster, Western and Dalhousie next year and potentially some USMD's. 

I was wondering what would be best to do next year to improve my chances. Thanks :) 

1 minute ago, Bambi said:

You want to increase your GPA to place it in the competitive range by a 5th year or second undergrad degree.

Thanks for the reply, I'll be doing a 5th year next year then. I qualify for Western, Queen's and Dalhousie 2 year GPA weighting. With a 3.95-4.0 GPA this year, would that put me within a competitive range for these schools assuming I improve my CARS score?

Archived