Premed 101 Forums

Conferences

I know presenting at conferences is a good way to boost your CaRMS application, and to demonstrate interest in your preferred field.

However, is it worth adding conferences as an attendee?  For example, if it is at a more prestigious conference in the field you are hoping to enter, does that reflect well on you?

12 minutes ago, MedHopeful93 said:

I know presenting at conferences is a good way to boost your CaRMS application, and to demonstrate interest in your preferred field.

However, is it worth adding conferences as an attendee?  For example, if it is at a more prestigious conference in the field you are hoping to enter, does that reflect well on you?

I don't think it adds very much to your application. Save your money and use it elsewhere.

I would go to conferences if you can. It can definitely demonstrate interest, you can also network there. In small fields especially, showing up and saying hi can honestly put you in a category of your own when it comes to application time. Anecdotally, I believe going to conferences helped me match. 

2 hours ago, Edict said:

I would go to conferences if you can. It can definitely demonstrate interest, you can also network there. In small fields especially, showing up and saying hi can honestly put you in a category of your own when it comes to application time. Anecdotally, I believe going to conferences helped me match. 

What would you consider a small field? Just something with few CaRMS spots (i.e. not IM, FM, peds, neuro)?

1 hour ago, insomnias said:

What would you consider a small field? Just something with few CaRMS spots (i.e. not IM, FM, peds, neuro)?

Yes, small field would be one where people "know" people. Anything with 10 or less CaRMS spots at each site a year or so. 

Archived