Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
RR00

CFPC Fall 2018 exam

Recommended Posts

Anyone do the fall 2018 exam? How did you find it? 

Thought the SOO’s were very fair but I am freaking out about all the things I forgot to ask. Anyone know how many cases you need to pass to pass the SOO portion? And how many categories within each case do you need to pass to pass the case? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did not do the fall 18 exam. Did the spring 18 exam, felt similar.

 

Don't stress about the soos now. Nothing you can do. Whatever you did is set in stone.

From what our residency program told us, you can fail 1 case, so need to pass 4/5 cases

Also the exam is curved, so as long as you score within the top 90 percentile you should pass. Chances are, as long as you prepared and had a systemic approach in asking questions, was emphathetic and not a jerk, ull pass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, deathvvv said:

Did not do the fall 18 exam. Did the spring 18 exam, felt similar.

 

Don't stress about the soos now. Nothing you can do. Whatever you did is set in stone.

From what our residency program told us, you can fail 1 case, so need to pass 4/5 cases

Also the exam is curved, so as long as you score within the top 90 percentile you should pass. Chances are, as long as you prepared and had a systemic approach in asking questions, was emphathetic and not a jerk, ull pass

Does that mean the CFPC exam fails 10% of FM residents ??? I am starting to freak out lol :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, deathvvv said:

no

10% of all test takers, including practice eligible

http://www.cfp.ca/content/cfp/59/9/981.full.pdf

food for thought ;)

 

Given how important & expensive the exam is, I have begun studying since PGY1, but I find 10% failure rate is still pretty high, given the practice eligible candidates are already GPs in other countries??! 

Do people find the SAMP more challenging than SOOs? I wish that they could do SAMP in multiple choice format, unfortunately not :S 

LMCC II used to be CFPC certification exam, too bad that they took it away :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, LittleDaisy said:

Given how important & expensive the exam is, I have begun studying since PGY1, but I find 10% failure rate is still pretty high, given the practice eligible candidates are already GPs in other countries??! 

Do people find the SAMP more challenging than SOOs? I wish that they could do SAMP in multiple choice format, unfortunately not :S 

LMCC II used to be CFPC certification exam, too bad that they took it away :wub:

This year's SAMPs were fairly straightforward and fair. Use FM Notes, review old Self-Learning SAMPs, and you'll be fine. The SOO's this year were also fairly straightforward but there's always that anxiety because you never know if you hit all the points you were supposed to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RR00 said:

This year's SAMPs were fairly straightforward and fair. Use FM Notes, review old Self-Learning SAMPs, and you'll be fine. The SOO's this year were also fairly straightforward but there's always that anxiety because you never know if you hit all the points you were supposed to. 

Thank you so much! What other resources have you used ? Where do you find the old self-learning SAMPs? Please feel free to PM :) One more exam to go before independent license :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LittleDaisy said:

Thank you so much! What other resources have you used ? Where do you find the old self-learning SAMPs? Please feel free to PM :) One more exam to go before independent license :P

I also used the ABFM slides but FM Notes would be the best in my opinion and going through each of the topics and forcing yourself to recall them. Go thru FM Notes at least 3 times. The Self-Learning SAMPs are from the Self-learning modules thru the CFPC. I feel like the actual exam is easier than those modules thankfully though. The apps, Family Medicine Study Guide and SAMP Prep, are also great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LittleDaisy said:

Given how important & expensive the exam is, I have begun studying since PGY1, but I find 10% failure rate is still pretty high, given the practice eligible candidates are already GPs in other countries??! 

 Do people find the SAMP more challenging than SOOs? I wish that they could do SAMP in multiple choice format, unfortunately not :S 

LMCC II used to be CFPC certification exam, too bad that they took it away :wub:

It is what it is. They curve the exam so regardless of difficulty 10% of people fail. Just do best you can and chances are you won't fall in that 10%. If you studied and worked hard in residency there is no reason why you fail. From what I observe, the people who fail are people who

 

1) overconfident and understudy

2) do not take advantage of residency resources (ie mock Samp and soo)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deathvvv said:

It is what it is. They curve the exam so regardless of difficulty 10% of people fail. Just do best you can and chances are you won't fall in that 10%. If you studied and worked hard in residency there is no reason why you fail. From what I observe, the people who fail are people who

 

1) overconfident and understudy

2) do not take advantage of residency resources (ie mock Samp and soo)

Thanks for your advice, I won't take CFPC exam lightly at all! Last exam to pass :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry for the bump to this thread.

I wonder how other people study for SAMP? 

For SOOs, do people use the CFPC online mock SOO past samples and practice in small group? 

As the CFPC licensing exam approaches, getting more anxious as it is the last medical licensing exam that I need to pass before becoming independent :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

your school usually have "hand me downs" of old Samp questions, do those to get a taste of how prepared you are

but otherwise, stick with family medicine notes/uptodate/ccfpprep.com, cover one or two topic each day and make sure you know it well

if you do that and reflect on cases you see during the day and integrate what you learned, you should have no problem passing the Samp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×