Premed 101 Forums

Canadian at US medschool hoping to practice path in canada

Hello,

Looking to hear from some of the pathology community about job prospects in Canada for someone trained in US. I'm strongly considering applying to pathology and hopeful I have a good shot at matching at a top program in the US with my competitive grades/step scores so far. What's the experience like for american trained pathologists coming back to Canada and can anyone share stories or experiences they've had? 

thank you! 

4 hours ago, Snowmen said:

As a (minor if you don't speak french) caveat, the job market is pretty good in Quebec since the language barrier "protects" us from a large influx of IMGs.

True.  But, I think the level of French needed for professional purposes goes well beyond the standard basic conversational, in a language that is regarded as difficult to master in its written form (like what would be needed in path).  If the language hurdle were easy to solve, then I believe IMGs and others would have done so already.  I don't think it's an accident that there's almost no movement from English to French-speaking environments for CMGs.  But I'm not trying to imply going from French to English is easy either.       

On 10/29/2018 at 11:18 AM, r9fan said:

Hello,

Looking to hear from some of the pathology community about job prospects in Canada for someone trained in US. I'm strongly considering applying to pathology and hopeful I have a good shot at matching at a top program in the US with my competitive grades/step scores so far. What's the experience like for american trained pathologists coming back to Canada and can anyone share stories or experiences they've had? 

thank you! 

The way i see it, if you go to a top tier residency program in the US, you'll have a chance in Canada despite a bad job market. It'll be important to network, go to conferences in Canada, do electives in Canada during your residency to seek out a job. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2018 at 11:18 AM, r9fan said:

I know of a few US trained pathologists who moved to Canada to practice.  I do not believe any of them did electives during residency.  All of the ones I know trained at a top-tier US program.  Happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Why are you set on doing residency training in the US?  I would recommend doing residency in Canada, and going back down south for a fellowship.  Your training will be a year longer, but you will have a more sane, reasonable time during residency.  The best US residencies can be brutal.  Most Canadian programs are very humane. 

Archived