Premed 101 Forums

UBC Pharmacy Applications 2018/2019 - Class of 2023

KingdomSquares

Hi everyone, 

Thought it may be helpful to start a thread for prospective UBC PharmD students applying to start the program in September 2019.

The application deadline is January 15, 2019. 

More info can be found on: https://pharmsci.ubc.ca/programs/entry-practice-pharmd-degree

If you have any questions/comments/discussion, please post below!

:lol:

Hey! I'm looking to apply this year as well. I'm currently at SFU and have a B/B+ average GPA, which worries me of my chances of getting in. Does anyone want to share their GPA, and which school they go to? According to this conversion table, I'm looking at about 75% in a percentage scale.

On 10/30/2018 at 9:18 PM, pharmm said:

Hey! I'm looking to apply this year as well. I'm currently at SFU and have a B/B+ average GPA, which worries me of my chances of getting in. Does anyone want to share their GPA, and which school they go to? According to this conversion table, I'm looking at about 75% in a percentage scale.

The previous years the averages was 75-85%, definitely give it a shot, nothing to lose 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, this is my second time applying as I didn’t receive an interview last year, I’ve improved my gpa from 3.3 to 3.6, hopefully that’s enough to get an interview. Does anyone know if being an OOP applicant have an effect on gpa? Like, should I present a higher average as an OOP to receive an interview? 

Hey guys , 

Im a new applicant for this year and i would like to know something : I have 54 credits accumulated as student in Laval University and i did this prep year with all the cours that are required (bio, math,phy ,etc) but i don't have and DEC . Am i eligible to apply to pharmacy at Laval University ? I am bit afraid of the answer but i have to make sure i didn't loose years for nothing... 

Thank you 

16 hours ago, lcs.tmng said:

Hello, I'm looking for the grade conversion table used to evaluate our admission averages. My school works on a A+/4.3 scale. Anyone know where I can find it? @phuturefarmacist?

This is not an official exact conversion table that UBC uses but it may give you a good estimation. https://students.arts.ubc.ca/advising/academic-performance/gpa-equivalency/ 

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I am looking to get honest feedback on my chances for pharmD. I have applied to MD a couple of times (both UBC and out of province schools) with no luck and I am hoping to change gears and study pharmacy.

I did a bachelor of sciences at UBC and graduated in 2018. My gpa is 3.85 and my adjusted gpa (best   credist) is . I have extensive extracurriculars including health care employment, lots of volunteering, clubs, leadership, working as doctor's assistant and dental assistants. My NAQ for UBC was 26 this year which I thought was okay.I think I would do fine in the interview since I am generally good at talking and expressing myself confidently. 

Anyways if someone could give me feedback on my chances I would really appreciate it.

Best of luck to everyone!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2018 at 4:17 PM, Pharm42 said:

Hey guys, this is my second time applying as I didn’t receive an interview last year, I’ve improved my gpa from 3.3 to 3.6, hopefully that’s enough to get an interview. Does anyone know if being an OOP applicant have an effect on gpa? Like, should I present a higher average as an OOP to receive an interview? 

As per the faculty FAQ:

"Do you give preference to students from specific universities/colleges?
In the selection of applicants, preference is given to well-qualified residents of BC who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada. Special consideration may be given to Aboriginal applicants and applicants from under-represented areas of BC.(http://www.calendar.ubc.ca/vancouver/index.cfm?tree=12,213,956,1563). Preference is not given to applicants based on their specific universities/colleges. "

Just do your best if you happen to get an interview, don't really know what a 3.6 equates to but it all depends on the applicant pool each year.

23 hours ago, phuturefarmacist said:

correct, first year prereqs and the prereq courses are the same

I'm still confused because there are some second-year courses in the prerequisite courses! So I was wondering if it is

last 30+ First year Prerequisite courses

or

last 30+all of the prerequisite courses (first year and second year)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2019 at 10:14 AM, pharmalove<3 said:

I'm still confused because there are some second-year courses in the prerequisite courses! So I was wondering if it is

last 30+ First year Prerequisite courses

or

last 30+all of the prerequisite courses (first year and second year)

"meet a minimum core average of 65%, or 2.50 GPA on a 4-pt scale, calculated on all attempts at first-year prerequisites (Biology, Chemistry, English, and Mathematics [Calculus])" those are the core courses. So last 30 + first year prereqs

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, LethyPharm said:

anyone know how many invites are sent out each year roughly?? 

I know there are 224 spots available for admission but was just wondering what the chances are if someone got an interview invite. 

From what I recall in volunteering from previous interviews there were somewhere around 360ish students there

On 2/24/2019 at 9:25 PM, Pharm2k said:

How do grades from courses taken this term affect admissions? 

Given the last 30 credits average and the first-year core average are calculated using courses completed in the fall semester. 

I think your grades from this semester don't matter ( as long as you pass the prereqs you're taking this term) because when they're sending out invites for interviews they are looking at your last completed 30 credits and first year classes. When deciding if you are accepted or not they only look at your interview and personal profile.