Premed 101 Forums

UBC Pharmacy Applications 2018/2019 - Class of 2023

KingdomSquares

38 minutes ago, LethyPharm said:

ok thanks, good luck to you as well! I will try and call tomorrow maybe. Just confused how they decide who gets an interview on the first wave of invites... perhaps they do a lottery draw for those who meet the requirements? At this point I am stumped how they decide... if they don't take people with the highest GPA i'm not sure what they do

I think if people reject their invites sooner, you may get an invite sooner as well! my first year courses + last 30 credits gpa was about 76%! or maybe they're still not done sending the first wave of invites, either. Keep your hopes up, I hope you hear soon!

5 minutes ago, Pharm961 said:

I think if people reject their invites sooner, you may get an invite sooner as well! my first year courses + last 30 credits gpa was about 76%! or maybe they're still not done sending the first wave of invites, either. Keep your hopes up, I hope you hear soon!

Thanks! Hoping so too!

3 hours ago, Leyan said:

I got an invite too! I have a 3.54 GPA and I'm OOP, if the stats help anyone! 

is that your overall GPA? or is that the combined (24 first year pre req credits) + (last 30 credits) average?

Because recalculating my grades if I take the average based on only these 54 credits they mention then I have a 3.54 exactly. This is because my first year was my worst year. So possibly my 3.7 cumulative and 3.94 last 2 years average will not do me any good because of my first year of University. Someone correct me if I am wrong in calculating how they look at GPA's. thanks

6 hours ago, LethyPharm said:

Didn't they say they would also send out an email to let people know who didn't get an invite?

I checked SSC and my email and have nothing unfortunately.... Overall GPA 3.7, last 2 years 3.96, did very well in biochem, O-chem, cellular biology. Worked at and volunteered at pharmacy... but then again I am an OOP applicant so maybe that factored in.

I didn't get any email at all either. BSc degree in neuro with 3.7 GPA and full time working as a pharmacy assistant for almost 2 years. I'm also OOP so hopefully they send out more invites in the future. 

8 hours ago, Neurosciencegrad said:

I didn't get any email at all either. BSc degree in neuro with 3.7 GPA and full time working as a pharmacy assistant for almost 2 years. I'm also OOP so hopefully they send out more invites in the future. 

hope so! it must really come down to first year pre reqs then since another OOP applicant with lower GPA got invited already...

Did anyone apply to both Waterloo and UBC? I'm a bit concerned because their interviews are the same weekend. The deadline to confirm attendance for the UBC interview is April 7th but Waterloo doesn't send invites out until April 11th... I would ideally like to go to both (IF I even get a waterloo invite) but don't know if that's possible. 

I'm an OOP applicant from Toronto

15 hours ago, LethyPharm said:

Didn't they say they would also send out an email to let people know who didn't get an invite?

I checked SSC and my email and have nothing unfortunately.... Overall GPA 3.7, last 2 years 3.96, did very well in biochem, O-chem, cellular biology. Worked at and volunteered at pharmacy... but then again I am an OOP applicant so maybe that factored in.

Your GPA is amazing! I'm an OOP applicant with a ~3.97 last 30 credits GPA and maybe like a ~3.2 first year prereq GPA (lol). Are you sure you have all the prereqs including English? I had to enroll in 2 English courses after graduation because I found out that the English courses I took during school didn't count according to UBC pharmacy but they counted as English courses in UBC med (super confusing). 

2 minutes ago, pharmapplicant said:

Your GPA is amazing! I'm an OOP applicant with a ~3.97 last 30 credits GPA and maybe like a ~3.2 first year prereq GPA (lol). Are you sure you have all the prereqs including English? I had to enroll in 2 English courses after graduation because I found out that the English courses I took during school didn't count according to UBC pharmacy but they counted as English courses in UBC med (super confusing). 

sounds like i have a very similar GPA to you. The thing is, I have a lower pre req GPA because of my first year.... but i guess they don't look into the rest of my 3 years of schooling very much. You have a great GPA as well. I know other schools give praise to students who improve largely as you did. UofA heavily looks at last 2 years only so you wouldn't be hindered because of your lower first year pre req GPA. 

Oh yes, i figured that out last year about the english. I've taken 3 english courses now and finally it will count. Good luck to you! 

32 minutes ago, LethyPharm said:

sounds like i have a very similar GPA to you. The thing is, I have a lower pre req GPA because of my first year.... but i guess they don't look into the rest of my 3 years of schooling very much. You have a great GPA as well. I know other schools give praise to students who improve largely as you did. UofA heavily looks at last 2 years only so you wouldn't be hindered because of your lower first year pre req GPA. 

Oh yes, i figured that out last year about the english. I've taken 3 english courses now and finally it will count. Good luck to you! 

I also have a similar gpa as OOP about ~3.3 pre-req and ~3.85 last 30 and haven’t recieved an interview. Maybe they had a really strong applicant pool this year. I’m nervous that if I even make the cut for the second wave of invites. Fingers crossed we all do!! It’s much harder being OPP 

If someone does find out more information. Like if they're still sending out interviews? Or why someone with above the competitive average didn't get the interview, if marks are the only thing they look at. 

Please post it on here. Hopefully more interviews go out 

2 hours ago, Pharmboy said:

If someone does find out more information. Like if they're still sending out interviews? Or why someone with above the competitive average didn't get the interview, if marks are the only thing they look at. 

Please post it on here. Hopefully more interviews go out 

I just emailed the Carol lady at admissions to see if she has any information as to how they decide who gets an invite. Hopefully she will give some info on if more invites will go out as well. 

36 minutes ago, pharmmy said:

@LethyPharm please let me know what she says! I haven't received an email at all yet either....

Here is all she said " Our interview decisions are based on an applicant’s admission average, which is determined by the Undergraduate Admissions office. We have started to send out interview invitations and are currently waiting on those responses. "

and then she said that those who won't get an invite will also be notified as soon as they have made a decision. So, I am still not certain as to how the GPA's are determined or what was wrong with my application to not get an interview. 

15 minutes ago, LethyPharm said:

Here is all she said " Our interview decisions are based on an applicant’s admission average, which is determined by the Undergraduate Admissions office. We have started to send out interview invitations and are currently waiting on those responses. "

and then she said that those who won't get an invite will also be notified as soon as they have made a decision. So, I am still not certain as to how the GPA's are determined or what was wrong with my application to not get an interview. 

So does that mean no more invites are going out until those who recieved them respond?