Premed 101 Forums

FM Hospitalist Questions!

Hi all,

I am currently a Canadian at a U.S. medical school interested in becoming a hospitalist, and I am debating on doing an IM residency in the U.S., and working in the U.S. as a hospitalist, OR possibly coming back to Canada for a FM residency, and becoming a Canadian hospitalist.

I was hoping some of you could shed some light on what the average FM hospitalist gig is like. A few questions that I have:

1) Are hospitalists in Canada mostly IM docs or FM docs? Or both?

2) What is the average FM hospitalist salary in Canada per year? (Do salaries differ between Canadian IM hospitalists and Canadian FM hospitalists?)

3) Do hospitalists in Canada pay overhead expenses, etc.? If they don't pay overhead, wouldn't you make substantially more as a FM hospitalist than a regular FM doctor working in a clinic (with overhead expenses)? Am I missing something here?

4) In general, what is the gig like? What is the day-to-day like? Also, I would appreciate any pros and cons about being a FM hospitalist.

I would appreciate any insight on these topics!

2 hours ago, blueskyguy said:

Hi all,

I am currently a Canadian at a U.S. medical school interested in becoming a hospitalist, and I am debating on doing an IM residency in the U.S., and working in the U.S. as a hospitalist, OR possibly coming back to Canada for a FM residency, and becoming a Canadian hospitalist.

I was hoping some of you could shed some light on what the average FM hospitalist gig is like. A few questions that I have:

1) Are hospitalists in Canada mostly IM docs or FM docs? Or both?

Both although trend is more for IM now

2) What is the average FM hospitalist salary in Canada per year? (Do salaries differ between Canadian IM hospitalists and Canadian FM hospitalists?)

They aren’t usually salaries. FFS. Most GIMs do more than just MRP work so hard to compare. Typically about 1200-1500 a day. 

3) Do hospitalists in Canada pay overhead expenses, etc.? If they don't pay overhead, wouldn't you make substantially more as a FM hospitalist than a regular FM doctor working in a clinic (with overhead expenses)? Am I missing something here?

No overhead. What are you missing? It’s a different job seeing people in a clinic versus acute care inpatient medicine 

4) In general, what is the gig like? What is the day-to-day like? Also, I would appreciate any pros and cons about being a FM hospitalist.

You show up and round on your list of 15-20 patients. Sometimes more sometimes less. It’s rhe same basically as a core GIM rotation without the ER work. 

I would appreciate any insight on these topics!

Most hospitalits in my region are hourly with some extras on top, and mostly FM docs.  Varies by region perhaps? Definitely not many GIMs as true hospitalists. 

If you want hospitalits do FM in Canada or US, doesnt matter and come back to Canada. Easiest path is the US FM and then keeps options open for practicing in the US with your 3 year training.

Yes you can make more as a hospitalist or GP who works in emerge doing FFS without overhead. But there are only so many positions in hospitals, and majority of FM docs are outpatient in cities. Much diff patient population too.  Many FM docs dont want to do hospitalist type work and would rather do clinic work, and you can pump out alot of stable chronic and low acute patients in clinic, even with overhead. 

8 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

Most hospitalits in my region are hourly with some extras on top, and mostly FM docs.  Varies by region perhaps? Definitely not many GIMs as true hospitalists. 

If you want hospitalits do FM in Canada or US, doesnt matter and come back to Canada. Easiest path is the US FM and then keeps options open for practicing in the US with your 3 year training.

Yes you can make more as a hospitalist or GP who works in emerge doing FFS without overhead. But there are only so many positions in hospitals, and majority of FM docs are outpatient in cities. Much diff patient population too.  Many FM docs dont want to do hospitalist type work and would rather do clinic work, and you can pump out alot of stable chronic and low acute patients in clinic, even with overhead. 

Probably. I am Talking more about large volume GTA community hospitals

• 3 weeks later...

What level of procedures would a person get working as a hospitalist? The family doctors in my centre actually round on their own patients that are in the hospital. So not a true hospitalist position. But I don't tend to see many procedures... is this true of someone doing a dedicated job as a hospitalist? 

13 hours ago, MarsRover said:

What level of procedures would a person get working as a hospitalist? The family doctors in my centre actually round on their own patients that are in the hospital. So not a true hospitalist position. But I don't tend to see many procedures... is this true of someone doing a dedicated job as a hospitalist? 

In large GTA hospitals it’s basically up to the individual. 

I assume  you have all done a core GIM rotation? It’s the same as that minus the ER work. 

If your patient needs a procedure (LP/paracentsis/thoarcocentsis/chesttube/central line) you have right if first refusal. You either do it or call someone else to do it if you can’t. 

Since you don’t admit them a lot of procedures may have already been done in ER. But anything that wasn’t ansnis required after admission is your responsibility to either do yourself or arrange to have someone else do. 

Archived