Premed 101 Forums

Provisional licensees and starting a family practice

RR00

In BC, provisional licensees are required to take on new patients and so options for locuming are very limited. You basically have to get lucky that you will like the practice you end up in. Is it like this in other provinces as well? Also, for anyone who went through this process in BC, how long did you keep your practice open? Being a young physician, it's so hard for me to predict what my long-term plans are at this stage and I hate the idea of taking on a panel of patients only to have to leave them after 1 or 2 years. 

21 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

Is this a new regulation? I am licensed in BC and there was no such rule when I registered in 2016. 

Are you still on a provisional license? New provisional licensees basically need to be engaged in the provision of full service family practice, so no walk-ins. I'm not sure what happens to those folks who registered in previous years. Typically the job postings for the provisional licensees require you to start your own practice. Locums are harder to find. In the past, I'm guessing locuming in a walk-in clinic was allowed but now they are trying to discourage that. The sponsorship rules weren't readily available when picking provinces which I really think they should be as it would affect a new physician's planning.  

Archived