Premed 101 Forums

Interview Selection

Like most applications that introduce a subjective evaluation component (Casper, essays) there is absolutely no predictive value in the process. As much as we would like to think a stellar GPA/MCAT and extracurriculars merit an interview, this is simply is not the case. I interviewed at Toronto a two years ago (rejected post-interview) then applied last year and received no interview from Toronto. Your essays may resonate with one evaluator, but to another evaluator, might not merit further consideration for an interview. Many applicants feel that the process does have (to an extent) luck involved, and that very well may be the case. 

As Western moves to a more holistic application measure, it may be likely that 129 in CARS is no longer sufficient for an interview. Unfortunately, there is so much uncertainty with applications that even the "perfect" applicant may not receive any interviews, or may not receive repeat interviews to the same institution in subsequent years. Perusing the invite/refusals threads illustrates how many incredible applicants each year do not receive interviews. The best you can do is patiently wait out this cumbersome timeline until you hear back from your respective schools. 

Best of luck in your applications (and hopefully future interviews :) )

7 minutes ago, Instagrammar said:

Like most applications that introduce a subjective evaluation component (Casper, essays) there is absolutely no predictive value in the process. As much as we would like to think a stellar GPA/MCAT and extracurriculars merit an interview, this is simply is not the case. I interviewed at Toronto a two years ago (rejected post-interview) then applied last year and received no interview from Toronto. Your essays may resonate with one evaluator, but to another evaluator, might not merit further consideration for an interview. Many applicants feel that the process does have (to an extent) luck involved, and that very well may be the case. 

As Western moves to a more holistic application measure, it may be likely that 129 in CARS is no longer sufficient for an interview. Unfortunately, there is so much uncertainty with applications that even the "perfect" applicant may not receive any interviews, or may not receive repeat interviews to the same institution in subsequent years. Perusing the invite/refusals threads illustrates how many incredible applicants each year do not receive interviews. The best you can do is patiently wait out this cumbersome timeline until you hear back from your respective schools. 

Thank you :) I guess I just have to patiently wait!! What was ur wGPA for Toronto?

5 hours ago, Instagrammar said:

It is actually crazy how much subjectivity there is in the application process - who reads your essays, who interviews you, etc.

I know they do their best to minimize these biases but they still exist

Archived