Premed 101 Forums

November 2018 DAT Thoughts

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised no one is really posting anything

Bio/Chem: Pretty straight forward section. Was lot easier than bootcamp and slightly easier than crusher. But there was this one weird question where I think they balanced only half the equation? not really sure but it kinda threw me off but other than that it was fine. 

PAT - Keyholes and TFE was easier than crusher, rest of it was around the same difficulty if not easier. Guessed few questions at the end though because I ran out of time :(

RCT: First passage was really intimidating and ended up spending way more time than I should've had. Ended up purely guessing ~6 questions at the end because I ran out of time. It's a shame because the third passage was waaaaaaay easier of a read and I would've probably scored nearly perfect on that section if I had like 5 more minutes. 

When studying I should've focused more on the timing aspect of the test and not just content. Remember lads. When in doubt just guess and move on. 

Bio - Went well, a few tough questions that I didn’t know (Detuosome anus formation etc). 

Chem - This section went well, maybe 2 questions that I couldn’t get. But just a heads up, it was NOTHING like bootcamps or destroyer. The questions were very straightforward, identical to Crushers. In fact some of the questions i remember seeing on DatCrusher’s tests

PAT - Keyholes and TFE were tough and gave me the most trouble. The real test was harder than bootcamp and easier than crushers.  

RC - This one was a disaster. The first passage threw me off since it had 13 questions, luckily i skipped it and saved it for the end. I think i barely finished. The questions were identical to crushers too  

Overall not sure what to expect but I’m hoping for the best. But heads up if you’re writing the DAT and see this, DON’T BUY DATbootcamp it was a waste of money, none of the sections reflected the DAT today except maybe biology so i'm kind of upset. Not sure if the canadian dat is changing or bootcamp is not updating their questions. 

1 hour ago, Mitochon said:

Bio - Went well, a few tough questions that I didn’t know (Detuosome anus formation etc). 

Chem - This section went well, maybe 2 questions that I couldn’t get. But just a heads up, it was NOTHING like bootcamps or destroyer. The questions were very straightforward, identical to Crushers. In fact some of the questions i remember seeing on DatCrusher’s tests

PAT - Keyholes and TFE were tough and gave me the most trouble. The real test was harder than bootcamp and easier than crushers.  

RC - This one was a disaster. The first passage threw me off since it had 13 questions, luckily i skipped it and saved it for the end. I think i barely finished. The questions were identical to crushers too  

Overall not sure what to expect but I’m hoping for the best. But heads up if you’re writing the DAT and see this, DON’T BUY DATbootcamp it was a waste of money, none of the sections reflected the DAT today except maybe biology so i'm kind of upset. Not sure if the canadian dat is changing or bootcamp is not updating their questions. 

On the point about bootcamp and destroyer not being representative. The format isn't representative, but the concepts and content and definitely are which are what is important. That deterostome question was straight out of BC haha.

2 hours ago, Mitochon said:

Ya I 100% agree, it wasn’t anything like bootcamps questions at all, the questions were very straight forward. It was much closer to datcrusher. I’m taking full courseload with 5 tough classes so i wish i studied more efficiently. Oh well, it's done now and time to forget about it and focus on bringing the GPA back up :(   

Anyone know when the scores will be released?

Overall, I thought it was easier than the Nov 2017 DAT. SNS was straight forward, PAT was fair besides the rock keyholes, and RC was way more straight forward than last November’s which was a lot more like the American style with lots of “first and second sentence true/false/related” questions. I studied using DATCrusher last year and DATBootcamp this year and I feel like Bootcamp better prepared me for this year because the questions are much harder and make the actual DAT seem easy. 

16 hours ago, westcoastbestcoast said:

On the point about bootcamp and destroyer not being representative. The format isn't representative, but the concepts and content and definitely are which are what is important. That deterostome question was straight out of BC haha.

lol no that question wasn’t from bootcamp, it was off of Feralis notes which you can get online for free .

I wrote the DAT twice and I noticed 80% of the content on bootcamp don’t apply to the Canadian DAT. Lol i mean cmon….Root-mean-square speed? Freezing-point depression equation, boiling point elevation equation? I spent so much time memorizing useless content on Bootcamp while crusher was saying they don’t apply to the Canadian DAT and they were right, none of them showed up.

I still think bootcamp is a good resource but you only need it for biology (and those notes are available for free). Bootcamps chemistry and reading comp 100% do not reflect the Canadian DAT at all based on my experience. And their PAT was too easy. So if i have to write again, i wouldn’t spend $500 on bootcamp but that's just me

Bio: Thought it went well. Not sure if someone mentioned this, but wasn't that question regarding learning through rewards/punishment supposed to be operant conditioning, and it wasn't even an option?? It had classical conditioning and the other 3 didn't make sense with the question, so I just ended up picking that one.

Chem: Much easier than I thought it'd be. Glad that I bought Crusher last minute cause it was very similar lol, bootcamp's chem tests made me scared for more equations and there were hardly any.

PAT: Some of the keyholes messed with me but other than that I thought it was fair.

RC: Was the most worried about this one cause I started practicing it around a week before the test. First passage scared the hell out of me, the second and third were easier but I spent way too much time on the first and ended up guessing on like 6 questions from the last passage as a result.

Overall I'm glad I bought Bootcamp since it kinda prepared me for the worst, but I probably could've just used Crusher.

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone from last year remembers when they got their results for the DAT back? I know the website says to expect 8 weeks and I got my Feb scores back in 6 weeks, but I realized the scores would be coming out right around Christmas I think... I don't want to be too stressed about my results while I'm listening to Mariah Carey! :wacko: I also recommend DAT Crusher for prep!

Thanks in advance and hopefully everyone gets the scores they wanted! :D

8 hours ago, Mitochon said:

lol no that question wasn’t from bootcamp, it was off of Feralis notes which you can get online for free .

I wrote the DAT twice and I noticed 80% of the content on bootcamp don’t apply to the Canadian DAT. Lol i mean cmon….Root-mean-square speed? Freezing-point depression equation, boiling point elevation equation? I spent so much time memorizing useless content on Bootcamp while crusher was saying they don’t apply to the Canadian DAT and they were right, none of them showed up.

I still think bootcamp is a good resource but you only need it for biology (and those notes are available for free). Bootcamps chemistry and reading comp 100% do not reflect the Canadian DAT at all based on my experience. And their PAT was too easy. So if i have to write again, i wouldn’t spend $500 on bootcamp but that's just me

I agree, most of the content on bootcamp don’t apply to the Canadian DAT which is why i didn’t use it much . But ya I had the same experience on my DAT where none of the sections were like bootcamps but it was still a good resource. But yikes when did it become $500?!

And I’m surprised most people aren’t posting...?

49 minutes ago, icewater9 said:

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone from last year remembers when they got their results for the DAT back? I know the website says to expect 8 weeks and I got my Feb scores back in 6 weeks, but I realized the scores would be coming out right around Christmas I think... I don't want to be too stressed about my results while I'm listening to Mariah Carey! :wacko: I also recommend DAT Crusher for prep!

Thanks in advance and hopefully everyone gets the scores they wanted! :D

I think they were released December 13th last year

Wrote the DAT in November 2017... this time around I felt that it was A LOT easier...mind you that I was a little more prepared this time as well, but easier nonetheless.

Bio: This section was pretty much the same as last year, no surprises here. Expect 1 or 2 strange questions where you have to make an educated guess but 95% will be straight forward 'high yield' questions, you either know it or you don't. Finished this section in about 25 mins.

Chem: This section was surprisingly straightforward and easier than the 2017 DAT. It was really similar to what Crusher has but don't bank on that because the 2017 one was not. That being said, I think it's good to get practice with Bootcamp because their tests are a little tougher. Overall the theory questions tend to be the trickiest. Also true that some of the formulas from Bootcamp don't show up in this section whatsoever. Finished in about 30mins. 

PAT: Last year this was my strongest section so I didn't practice as much and focused more on RC and Chem which were my worst sections. Overall I would say that it was about the same level of difficulty as the 2017 write. This section is easier than what is up on Bootcamp and Crusher. I'd say the difficulty level is somewhere in between Crusher and the CDA practice test. Would recommend practicing keyholes, hole punching and cube counting on paper because you can employ different strategies on paper for these sections that you can't on a screen. Finished with about 2 minutes to spare this time whereas last year it came down to the wire. 

RC: Last year this section straight up traumatized me, the passages just stormed you with heaps of information and it was very difficult to digest even 2 paragraphs at a time. The questions were very wordy, often required you to reread them a few times to understand what it was asking and required more interpretation of the text rather than recall. I ended up having to guess 40% of the questions because of the amount of time I spent to make sense of the text and rereading questions. In general, in 2017 it was a lot more like the Bootcamp passages and questions rather than like Crusher (you could not get away with skimming or search & destroy, you really had to comprehend what you were reading). Because of that experience; I studied using Bootcamp passages this time around, and made a conscious effort of avoiding any skimming or search & destroy strategies. Ironically, this time RC was a lot more like Crusher's practice tests. This was a good thing because after practicing with Bootcamp passages it was a joke for me; 90% of questions were recall and there weren't any special appearances made by esoteric non-science passages (piano). I finished with 15 seconds to spare : )

Overall the 2018 November DAT was a good experience...November 2017 was a different animal.

On 11/3/2018 at 9:03 PM, Alexis Leskinen said:

Surprised no one is really posting anything

Bio/Chem: Pretty straight forward section. Was lot easier than bootcamp and slightly easier than crusher. But there was this one weird question where I think they balanced only half the equation? not really sure but it kinda threw me off but other than that it was fine. 

PAT - Keyholes and TFE was easier than crusher, rest of it was around the same difficulty if not easier. Guessed few questions at the end though because I ran out of time :(

RCT: First passage was really intimidating and ended up spending way more time than I should've had. Ended up purely guessing ~6 questions at the end because I ran out of time. It's a shame because the third passage was waaaaaaay easier of a read and I would've probably scored nearly perfect on that section if I had like 5 more minutes. 

When studying I should've focused more on the timing aspect of the test and not just content. Remember lads. When in doubt just guess and move on. 

yeah, you had to balance it by adding a 2 in front of one of the products if I remember correctly.

BIO/CHEM were much easier than I expected. Had to still guess a few. Was glad it wasn't calculation heavy so I had a few minutes remaining to review everything. 

PAT I got cocky that I had extra time for BIO/CHEM so I went slower than I usually would and ran out of time, literally had all of TFE left so circled A for them all LOL

RC was probably the best section, had lots of time remaining so got to look over my answers.

final thoughts: was waaaaay more stressed out than I needed to be. Need to work on timing for PAT, need to learn not to be so fixed on answering the question in front of me and just move on. Need to work on reviewing more broad concepts instead of very in detail topics/super lengthy calculations questions for BIO/CHEM. Excited to write again in February, really think I can do much better and now that I've gotten over those first-time nerves, hopefully, familiarity with the testing scenario will help with the marks as well!!

wrote at UofT lab 4 and just being in the room made me so pumped for actually being in there one day as a dental student :) 

Bio/Chem - Went well. The questions were very fair but I'm sure I made some silly mistakes so hoping that doesn't come back to bite me LOL

PAT - Everything went well apart from some of the rock keyholes and one of the cube counting questions. Hoping for a good curve here!

RC - got lucky and was familiar with all three passage topics so I was able to finish 10 mins early and recheck my answers. 

Also for future test takers, I studied solely using Princeton Review practice tests and I think it did a great job at mimicking the real test! 

Now we wait for the scores.....All the best everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2018 at 9:30 PM, nfmp13 said:

Bio: Thought it went well. Not sure if someone mentioned this, but wasn't that question regarding learning through rewards/punishment supposed to be operant conditioning, and it wasn't even an option?? It had classical conditioning and the other 3 didn't make sense with the question, so I just ended up picking that one.

Chem: Much easier than I thought it'd be. Glad that I bought Crusher last minute cause it was very similar lol, bootcamp's chem tests made me scared for more equations and there were hardly any.

PAT: Some of the keyholes messed with me but other than that I thought it was fair.

RC: Was the most worried about this one cause I started practicing it around a week before the test. First passage scared the hell out of me, the second and third were easier but I spent way too much time on the first and ended up guessing on like 6 questions from the last passage as a result.

Overall I'm glad I bought Bootcamp since it kinda prepared me for the worst, but I probably could've just used Crusher.

Yea I thought it was supposed to be operant conditioning too! I also picked classical, cause it was the only one close enough. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived