Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
conbrio

Admissions website updated regarding aABS

Recommended Posts

Quote
  • Interview Selection & Notification

  • Candidates will be invited for an interview based on undergraduate academic performance, MCAT score, and abbreviated autobiographical sketch.
Quote

Post-Interview Ranking

  • Candidates are ranked based on a compiled score representing academic achievement, MCAT score, abbreviated autobiographical sketch, and an interview.
  • The quality of the applicant pool varies from year to year and can influence the minimum GPA and MCAT scores.

https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/med_dent_admissions/medicine/interviews.html

The aABS will be considered for both interview selection and post-interview, which is a change from the previous update where it was just for interview selection.  Wouldn't this suggest that GPA and MCAT could be soft cutoffs with the addition of aABS? Previously they alone have been sufficient to determine who gets selected for interviews. Curious to see what other people think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personal opinion is that it's a trial year, and it will only be used to look for red flags. Another guess is that it's there for insurance reasons, this way they don't have to guarantee anyone anything, even if they meet cut-offs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Pakoon said:

Personal opinion is that it's a trial year, and it will only be used to look for red flags. Another guess is that it's there for insurance reasons, this why they don't have to guarantee anyone anything, even if they meet cut-offs

 

 

I can confirm that my ABS sketch has begun to be marked despite me having a 128 CARS (129 in both Chemistry and Biology). If you open your uploaded document in SAM, you can see a sticky note by a member of the committee. Mine says "set marked by (name, I won't say the name here)". 

 

I don't know why they would be marking a 128 CARS ABS if they are using hard cutoffs again. It's VERY likely that they're going to be using a scoring system / soft cutoffs. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ysera said:

 If you open your uploaded document in SAM, you can see a sticky note by a member of the committee. Mine says "set marked by (name, I won't say the name here)". 

I opened mine and found the same thing. However, it's dated June 27th 2018, so it's likely from the development of the document. I was excited for a moment there lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, conbrio said:

I opened mine and found the same thing. However, it's dated June 27th 2018, so it's likely from the development of the document.

Do you think it's likely that GPA/MCAT will still be the most important factor? Upset because I thought I would have Western guaranteed but I hate the uncertainty now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, conbrio said:

I opened mine and found the same thing. However, it's dated June 27th 2018, so it's likely from the development of the document. I was excited for a moment there lol

Hmm I can't see on my software when it's dated. Never mind then, lol (there is a bracket under the post-it comment that is part of the document and not the post-it that says last edited June 1, 2018, but the post-it comment itself is not dated). 

 

I guess we shall have to wait and see. The wording on their website flat out says they'll interview based on a combination score, so I guess we should trust them on their word. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ysera said:

 

 

I can confirm that my ABS sketch has begun to be marked despite me having a 128 CARS (129 in both Chemistry and Biology). If you open your uploaded document in SAM, you can see a sticky note by a member of the committee. Mine says "set marked by (name, I won't say the name here)". 

 

I don't know why they would be marking a 128 CARS ABS if they are using hard cutoffs again. It's VERY likely that they're going to be using a scoring system / soft cutoffs. 

 

This is interesting. Was that note a comment inside the pdf? I don't seem to have it. Wonder if this has anything to do with how close an applicant is to the expected MCAT cut offs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DNM said:

This is interesting. Was that note a comment inside the pdf? I don't seem to have it. Wonder if this has anything to do with how close an applicant is to the expected MCAT cut offs.  

Yes it's a sticky note inside the document. I would upload a screenshot but it's supposed to be a confidential document unfortunately. 

 

I think the previous poster confused the date on the document itself with the sticky note, or my software is not showing the date on the sticky note. There is a bracket under the sticky note that days "last edited June 1 2018", but that's part of the document itself and not the sticky note. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ysera said:

Yes it's a sticky note inside the document. I would upload a screenshot but it's supposed to be a confidential document unfortunately. 

 

I think the previous poster confused the date on the document itself with the sticky note, or my software is not showing the date on the sticky note. There is a bracket under the sticky note that days "last edited June 1 2018", but that's part of the document itself and not the sticky note. 

4

when did you submit your ABS, I wonder if it has something to do with new cut-offs, or is it being marked in order?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

note.jpg.6b6b9e135448ead875276f8655c4de9a.jpg

This is the sticky note I see (same location as the one described by ysera) when viewed on Google Drive, with personal information removed. I may be mistaken, but looks like the date is for the note itself. I downloaded a blank PDF copy from OMSAS just now, which has the same sticky note. I submitted mine Oct 15th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, conbrio said:

This is the sticky note I see (same location as the one described by ysera) when viewed on Google Drive, with personal information removed. I may be mistaken, but looks like the date is for the note itself. I downloaded a blank PDF copy from OMSAS just now, which has the same sticky note. I submitted mine Oct 15th.

After opening via Google Drive I see it. Yeah, looks like the note doesn't mean anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the update :)Now i wish i put more effort into my abs, i left it till last minute because i thought it was futile with my 128 cars. I guess its just a waiting game at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×