Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS GPA Calculations

20 minutes ago, drager said:

How do you see the breakdown?

Go to academic background 

15 minutes ago, MitralLunar said:

Mine looks fine. Can I ask you what kind of mistakes you found?

A few letter grades were missing a + and they included my pass/failed grades courses in the GPA (which have a GPA 0.00) which aren’t suppose to be in the calculation. 

4 minutes ago, JustSoYouKnow said:

Go to academic background 

A few letter grades were missing a + and they included my pass/failed grades courses in the GPA (which have a GPA 0.00) which aren’t suppose to be in the calculation. 

Where do you go after academic background? I clicked view on my transcript but it just gives me info about my degree, no course info.

20 minutes ago, ptapps2018ki said:

THEY FORGOT TO ADD ONE OF MY COURSES - IT SAYS i'm short a credit but they literally just missed one.. I messaged them but could this affect my acceptance?

thanks

you're fine. they'll fix it.

where do you see this under academic background?? does anybody else have no transcript info there but does have an omsas GPA under document tracking?

1 minute ago, Gironomo said:

you're fine. they'll fix it.

where do you see this under academic background?? does anybody else have no transcript info there but does have an omsas GPA under document tracking?

ahaha ok I figured but I had to have my obligatory 10 second freakout.

Under academic background there's an actions column. Click "view"! 

2 minutes ago, ptapps2018ki said:

ahaha ok I figured but I had to have my obligatory 10 second freakout.

Under academic background there's an actions column. Click "view"! 

There's nothing there for me except the info I entered about my degree :( guess I'll have to email them too

Just now, Gironomo said:

I do, but when I click it, it just gives me the information about the instituition and degree. no grades, which is weird because my OMSAS gpa is correctly under document tracking

That's weird - when I click it I have the "institution" box with that, and then 

image.png.2b3b6a3069d478d9e4d4008a8f1062d7.png

with all of my courses if I scroll down a bit. Maybe wait to see if they post it by tomorrow and then message them?

1 minute ago, ptapps2018ki said:

That's weird - when I click it I have the "institution" box with that, and then 

image.png.2b3b6a3069d478d9e4d4008a8f1062d7.png

with all of my courses if I scroll down a bit. Maybe wait to see if they post it by tomorrow and then message them?

Yeah I'll probably check again in the afternoon tmw and give them a call. thanks for your help!!

Guys, quick question:

I go to York and they use a 3-credit (semester course) and 6-credit (full-year course) system. However, in science, some courses are 4-credits (semester course with lab), 8-credits (full year course with lab), and even one course is 2-credits (pre-thesis course).

Basically, for my third year I have 31 credits at York (a few 4-credit courses as well as the 2-credit one) which is more than a full courseload (30 credits), BUT omsas counted the 2-credit course as "0.5" and only counted the 4-credit courses as "1.0" just like the other semester long courses . . . so apparently I only have 9.5 for the "length" value. Seriously shortchanged me.

Does this mean, according to them, I don't have a full course load? :(

12 minutes ago, Dr. Octavius said:

Guys, quick question:

I go to York and they use a 3-credit (semester course) and 6-credit (full-year course) system. However, in science, some courses are 4-credits (semester course with lab), 8-credits (full year course with lab), and even one course is 2-credits (pre-thesis course).

Basically, for my third year I have 31 credits at York (a few 4-credit courses as well as the 2-credit one) which is more than a full courseload (30 credits), BUT omsas counted the 2-credit course as "0.5" and only counted the 4-credit courses as "1.0" just like the other semester long courses . . . so apparently I only have 9.5 for the "length" value. Seriously shortchanged me.

Remember, OMSAS calculates the GPA in one way, but each medical school have their own viewpoints on your credits and GPA calculations. Best to double check with the medical schools you are applying for. If you have 31 credits, you should be okay, but best to confirm. 

Never understood why OMSAS had to calculate your GPA when the medical schools are going to be recalculating them by their own rules.

4 minutes ago, Pakoon said:

Quick question, it says for my years it has a length of 9, but I know I have taken 10 course in the year ,is it not counting my pass/fails in that value?. ( Applied to western so I wanna know if I'm screwed)

If you have taken 10 courses per year, each length per year should say 10.00. Pass/Fails are included into the "length of study" but not into the GPA values. 

8 hours ago, CardiacArrhythmia said:

If you have taken 10 courses per year, each length per year should say 10.00. Pass/Fails are included into the "length of study" but not into the GPA values. 

My summary length is 29, but on the detailed summary it's 38. Should I contact omsas?

9 hours ago, Dr. Octavius said:

Guys, quick question:

Email them. 

11 hours ago, Dr. Octavius said:

Guys, quick question:

I am from york and have a similar issue. I think its best if we contact OMSAS and med schools separately and let them know. 

Archived