Premed 101 Forums

OT Application - References

Hello,

I am currently applying to OT school in Ontario for the second time. Currently, working part-time as an OTA/PTA as I completed that diploma last year and taking courses full-time to upgrade marks. However, most classes I am enrolled in are either DE or have lots of students, so it is difficult to appeal to the Professors. I know for the application it is recommended you have at least one academic and one clinical reference, but it seems like I would likely have two clinical references. 

Does having no academic reference hurt my chances?

Thank you!

Here's what I found: 

- McMaster and Western don't require references.

- Queen's requires 1 academic reference and 1 academic OR professional reference.

- UofT requires 1 academic and 1 professional reference (although the information on their website seems to complicate this a bit). 

- Clinical references are only required for audiology and SLP. 

So it seems UofT is the only school in which you might have a bit of wiggle room. 

I think it would be in your best interest to try and get an academic reference, from what I understand schools like to have an idea of how potential students will perform both academically and professionally. Perhaps you could set up a time with one of your professors and meet with them? It's nice for them to be able to put a face to the name and to get to know you a bit, especially if you plan on asking for a reference. 

I hope this has helped! Good luck!     

Archived