Premed 101 Forums
MOONLuna123

Vanier vs Bdeb...which one choose?

Hi, I'm currently a Sec 5 student in a French High school and it is time for me to make an important decision : choose the right cegep for me.

I'm hesitating between 2 CEGEPs which are Bdeb and Vanier.

As a student, I have an overall average above 90s, and I really want to enter medschool at McGill. However, it is easier said than done. To make it happen, I need to work really hard during the 2 years at CEGEP and so I am being careful about choosing the right one for me.

What I'm looking for in CEGEP is a great experience, an environment in which I'm productive and students that are serious and focused on their studies. I find it motivating to have around me people that make a lot of effort to reach their goals.

Also, both CEGEPs are close to where I live, so the distance doesn't really matter. The language does matter because according to my parents, it's better for me to switch from French to English during CEGEP than during University. Nevertheless, I cannot simply choose a CEGEP because of its language.

According to your experiences or what you heard about these CEGEPs, which one would be the right one for me?

Thank you

Might want to check out the Cote R bonification between the two schools (if there any for these schools. So far I know that Brebeuf and Mari have sizeable bonuses). That is usually a relevant metric for choosing a CEGEP that would be appropriate for premed application.

Language is not too much of a factor IMO (besides the comfort you have in terms of studying in one language over the other), especially if you are quite bilingual. Plenty of folks from Brebeuf high school and CEGEP have entered McGill Med-P and have excellent understanding and communication in English. And you relearn the relevant terms in your Med-P year anyway so you won't have to do a lot of catching up, for what it's worth.

Good luck!

all I know is that Dawson's health sciences program is now the most competitive health sciences across CEGEPs to get into -- meaning that if you get in, you will probably be with high achieving students in a competitive environment (if that's what you are looking for). That being said, aside from the program, the general vibe at Dawson is quite relaxed and fun. But a good chunk of McGill Med-P's do come from Dawson (in 2016, the CEGEP that sent the highest number of MedPs at McGill was Dawson), so it's definitely a good program to go into Med-P afterwards.

Thank you very much. Unfortunately, Dawson is far from where I live. Do you have any idea if the Honours program at Vanier is as competitve as Dawson's Health Science program? I heard that Honours students have an average around 87~90+ when they enter the Honours program.

On 11/10/2018 at 5:57 PM, MOONLuna123 said:

The language does matter because according to my parents, it's better for me to switch from French to English during CEGEP than during University. Nevertheless, I cannot simply choose a CEGEP because of its language.

I cannot disagree more.

1- You have litterature classes in CEGEP. You don't have language classes in uni.

2- You have your Med-P year to adapt. It's made for it. Your grades in Med-P don't count toward your medical degree.

3- The goal is to get in. Not to adapt. Getting in is the most important thing and what you need right now is to maximize your chances.

4- Medicine is science, it's the most easy subject to adapt to. If you know your basic grammar, you have it. The rest is scientific terms that you'll learn along the way as everybody else, native English speakers or not. Plus 90% of the time they are the same as French (calculus/calcul, mechanics/mécanique, gastroenterology/gastroentérologie, mandibulectomy/mandibulectomie, ... ... ... ... ...).

Go to BdeB in my opinion if you're not perfectly bilingual. Vanier is the same, but less nerdy.