Premed 101 Forums

RN going to Medical School

uncle23

Hi everyone,

I am a 4th year McMaster student in Nursing (BScN)  in my last semester currently - finishing officially this current Fall term on December 5.  Prior to the Mac program,  I graduated from Mohawk College Practical Nursing - I am currently working in a hospital casually as an RPN, whilst finishing my term at Mac (basically just clinical hours right now at another hospital).  I'm planning to finish at Mac, write the NCLEX (and pass on my first time) in February 2019; therefore possibly studying for the NCLEX and MCAT from right now to February-March.

I'm here to ask for general  advice on  medical school - possible routes for me to take in the pre-med stage, schools to apply to realistically per my situation etc.  Long story short; I'm committed to changing career paths and going 100% for the med route despite the obstacles I'll have to wait and/or the time it'll take to get there. 

GPA wise: slacking big time (biggest concern..... slacked my way through the program; 60-75's (C- to B).  GPA is probably a 2-2.4.  Seriously need to bring that up.... (note- currently in a stubborn/ impatient type mood to 1) move away from home, 2) start med and get moving with it so therefore, if any has ideas about schools with a terribly low GPA)

Pre-req's/ science courses: nothing .... basically just took pathophysiology in my nursing program;  I have not taken biology, chemistry (general or organic), physics etc...

Extra-curricular: Nursing mentor (nursing upper buddy program for first years), dementia experience tour guide

References:  2 academic solid academic references available, clinical preceptor, clinical tutors; Hospital manager/ Clinical Educator (RN's)

****Action plan ideas:

- (?) post baccalaureate program: https://www.medschoolimg.com/  - questioning the credibility of this program.  Caribbean as an option for my situation....?

- supplementary courses with adequate course load to meet school requirements?

- second undergrad?

- Masters in Nursing .... for sure don't want to be do any more nursing education

_________

Bear with me please, this is my first post; I am kindly looking for insight and any advice.  Let me know if you require more information to help answer my questions

Honestly, i'd consider doing a NP degree. A GPA of 2.4 is so challenging to overcome. Financially, I don't think doing medicine at your stage is worth it. Now if you truly want to become a doctor, you'll probably need to do a second undergrad, which should take 2 years or maybe 3. Then you'd need to write your MCAT, apply and get in. The tldr is that to get into med school in Canada you really need something like a 3.8+ GPA to stand a good chance, people from 3.5-3.8 do make it but it gets harder every point your GPA drops. Really think about if you are capable of doing that and whether your finances can withstand essentially being incomeless for the next 6-8 years or so.

19 hours ago, Edict said:

Honestly, i'd consider doing a NP degree. A GPA of 2.4 is so challenging to overcome. Financially, I don't think doing medicine at your stage is worth it. Now if you truly want to become a doctor, you'll probably need to do a second undergrad, which should take 2 years or maybe 3. Then you'd need to write your MCAT, apply and get in. The tldr is that to get into med school in Canada you really need something like a 3.8+ GPA to stand a good chance, people from 3.5-3.8 do make it but it gets harder every point your GPA drops. Really think about if you are capable of doing that and whether your finances can withstand essentially being incomeless for the next 6-8 years or so.

thank you for your reply.

If you really want to do medicine and not NP (which could be a good option) like the poster above suggested, with your past GPA you would definitely need a second undergraduate degree and likely need to target schools that only look at last X years of study. Western and Queen's look at the last 2, and uOttawa looks at the last 3. McGill also only looks at your second undergrad if you have 2 I believe, although it is really difficult to get in out of province.

For Western specifically, you also need a really strong and balanced MCAT score. Maybe consider writing the MCAT first really trying to knock it out of the park, and if you get a good enough score for Western then enroll in a second undergrad degree?

Archived