Premed 101 Forums

Medical condition

I have a pretty rare medical condition that is one of the many reasons why I want to become a doctor and I was wondering if I should talk about that when/if I'm asked about why I want to be a doctor. It has helped shape who I am today and since it's rare, it has made me want to go into a field where I would be able to help others like myself. I'm just not sure how the interview panel would take it.

1 hour ago, Maggie19 said:

I have a pretty rare medical condition that is one of the many reasons why I want to become a doctor and I was wondering if I should talk about that when/if I'm asked about why I want to be a doctor. It has helped shape who I am today and since it's rare, it has made me want to go into a field where I would be able to help others like myself. I'm just not sure how the interview panel would take it.

Bring it up if it is strong support towards your reason(s) to pursue medicine. If you do bring it up, make sure you are firm with them that it will not affect the essential skills and abilities required for medical school. 

That's what I'm afraid of, the stigma around chronic illness and your ability to work/study like a "normal" person. But on the other hand, it is such a big part of why I want to become a doctor. I just don't want it to backfire. I firmly believe that I can do it. I'm not saying it will be easy, but I was able to do 7 years of university and I never used my condition as an excuse to not go to class or take an exam, etc.

If you want to pursue medicine do it. If you meet the requirements to apply absolutely apply and go for it full blast. It is a fantastic reason to pursue medicine and I think your tale would be very inspiring to many other students living with disabilities who may think that medicine is not possible for them. The Faculty of Med at uOttawa is super good at accommodating and helping you succeed, and will work with you, they are super nice. You got this!

Mr Duck

Archived