Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tapioca

Transferring Residency Program

Hey guys,

I am a first year resident in a surgical specialty and so far I feel life has been pretty tough. After thinking about it over and over again, I am seriously considering transferring. At this point, I am not sure if I want to attempt to transfer to the same program but in a different school vs transferring to another program. Does anyone have any experience regarding transfers?

Thanks!

I would really reflect on what exactly is making it difficult. If it's the work and the specialty itself, transferring to another program isn't really going to help much I don't think. If it's the culture of the program and the vibes from the program that make it difficult, then that's a different story. 

I would say, I can't really comment on the culture of the program as I've been mostly off service. But I do find it really hard to cope with the stress and the loneliness being so far away from my family, to the point that on most days I feel tired and unhappy. 

Have you tried reconnecting with friends outside of medicine back home, or anyone that you may know more local to your current place of residence?

Are there hobbies that you have become out of touch with that you could try getting back into or finding local groups for?

Can you book your vacation time so that every so often you have a few days to a week to go back home? 

You have to do quite a bit of self-reflection and some soul-searching to really know what you want to get out of your experience in medicine and what is or isn't going right for you with your current situation, before you can really consider a transfer.

Transfers aren't easy to arrange and you want to have some element of certainty before you try to go down that route.

Whatever you decide, don't forget that there is so much more to life than just medicine. Don't get too hung up on the shitt*ness of medical training.