Premed 101 Forums

PHPM Electives

• 1 month later...

Did them at Alberta and Manitoba. Also did a one week review course for R4/R5 PHPM residents at Queens. 

Speak up

Participate in meetings and actually try to contribute

Always ask questions  

Try to get a project during your elective time that you can present to a large audience. (did a project where I presented to the COO and multiple MOHs at a senior meeting that was well received). 

As for letters... if you do the above and show keen interest, you can ask at any time and most MOHs would be happy to help. 

Best wishes, 

- G

2 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

Is this via an elective(AFMC?)?  That sounds interesting, and would be happy to pass that info on to my colleagues interested in PHPM!

@JohnGrisham

The course is called the National Public Health review course hosted by Queens University. Sometimes if you get an elective with Queens during the time the course is held you get to do that as part of your elective. It will depend on your preceptor and I do think you have to ask. 

For me, I did not initially secure an elective at Queens but the program director recommended that I come as part of an educational experience. It was during my elective time and I figured I'll take a week's leave and go to the course. It's good learning, I can write about it, and I get to meet some amazing residents and faculty from across the country. 

- G 

3 hours ago, GH0ST said:

@JohnGrisham

The course is called the National Public Health review course hosted by Queens University. Sometimes if you get an elective with Queens during the time the course is held you get to do that as part of your elective. It will depend on your preceptor and I do think you have to ask. 

For me, I did not initially secure an elective at Queens but the program director recommended that I come as part of an educational experience. It was during my elective time and I figured I'll take a week's leave and go to the course. It's good learning, I can write about it, and I get to meet some amazing residents and faculty from across the country. 

- G 

Interesting- I'm surprised your school allowed attendance at it! That is impressively progressive.

21 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

Interesting- I'm surprised your school allowed attendance at it! That is impressively progressive.

To be completely honest I had already satisfied the minimum required elective time in order to graduate with a few weeks left over... I had more flexibility. 

I probably wouldn't recommend that in a 3 year program where you may have less elective time (I may be wrong though). 

Best wishes, 

- G

• 2 weeks later...

Archived