Premed 101 Forums

UAA calculation

Hey guys,

I'm a little confused at how averages are calculated. I currently have 140 credits and working on a second degree. Do they take the average from the last 120? I also have some classes where I've failed and retaken. Are both of those marks used in the calculation or just the retaken one?

Also I am a part time student, does that matter?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, strugglingstudent said:

You can email CoM for a more accurate answer. I talked to an advisor (not a CoM advisor but a general sciences one) last year and this is what she told me: they look at your last 120cu overall. However, if they require an additional class from a semester to calculate your average based on 120cu, they don't pick and choose just one class, they will take the whole term so your average would include more than 120cu. 

For example if you have 126cu (so 42 classes). 30cu/year * 4 years = 120cu/undergrad. 126cu-120cu = 6cu (2 extra classes). Because these 2 extra classes would not be able to be differentiated from one of your semesters (unless taken in the summer), they would calculate your average with all 126cu. 

BUT if you have 135cu (45 classes). 135cu-120cu = 15cu (5 extra classes). Because these 5 classes are a whole term worth of classes, they would use your latest 120cu only and cut your first term of first year undergrad and therefore, your average would only use 120cu. 

I guess it is different for everyone and this is just a generalized attempt to make sense of the calculations. Among other things, it would also be different depending on whether or not you took those extra classes in the summer. So, don't take this to be the end all be all answer but I hope this helps you kind of understand what that advisor originally explained to me.  

This is not accurate information. 

According to the application information document (2019), " When the most recent 120 CU are used for calculation of the UAA, the earliest courses required to make the 120 CU total frequently fall time-wise within a larger number of classes taken concurrently (i.e., within the same academic term). In this case, the average of all classes taken concurrently will be used as the mark for each of the remaining courses needed to reach the 120 CU total" (p. 9).

https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/ugme/admission/Entry2019ApplicantInformation.pdf

On 12/17/2018 at 8:30 PM, Diamond22 said:

This is not accurate information. 

According to the application information document (2019), " When the most recent 120 CU are used for calculation of the UAA, the earliest courses required to make the 120 CU total frequently fall time-wise within a larger number of classes taken concurrently (i.e., within the same academic term). In this case, the average of all classes taken concurrently will be used as the mark for each of the remaining courses needed to reach the 120 CU total" (p. 9).

https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/ugme/admission/Entry2019ApplicantInformation.pdf

---

Ahh, okay I do think this clears it up for me a bit more! Thank you guys :)

I did send them an email and they did not explain anything further, they simply referred me to the website. The application package is pretty comprehensive but I did need clarification which they did not offer at all lol, so thank you guys again!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived