Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
Gues

CaRMS 2019

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone. 

I am a Canadian citizen and i have completed my undergraduate and postgraduate (M.S. general surgery)in India, and now I want to come back to Canada to practice. What are the steps that I should take to apply? And would I have to repeat my residency completely after clearing carms? Is it different for different provinces?

Your replies are much appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, TrP said:

Hi everyone. 

I am a Canadian citizen and i have completed my undergraduate and postgraduate (M.S. general surgery)in India, and now I want to come back to Canada to practice. What are the steps that I should take to apply? And would I have to repeat my residency completely after clearing carms? Is it different for different provinces?

Your replies are much appreciated!

I am no surgeon, but I have worked with general surgeons in both rural and urban settings in 4 different provinces (BC, AB, ON, and NB), and I have never seen an IMG who is able to practice as surgeon without repeating surgical residency and clearing the MCCQEs (parts 1 and 2).

It is highly unlikely that your Indian qualifications will allow you to practise as a surgeon here. You will need to do MCCQE 1 and 2, apply to CaRMS as an IMG candidate and pray hard that you get a spot in surgery. Once you have completed your Canadian surgical residency, you will likely need to apply for a fellowship. Then, after your fellowship, you pray hard again that someone somewhere in Canada will hire you. In short, you are better off staying in India.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TrP said:

Hi everyone. 

I am a Canadian citizen and i have completed my undergraduate and postgraduate (M.S. general surgery)in India, and now I want to come back to Canada to practice. What are the steps that I should take to apply? And would I have to repeat my residency completely after clearing carms? Is it different for different provinces?

Your replies are much appreciated!

39 minutes ago, hamham said:

I am no surgeon, but I have worked with general surgeons in both rural and urban settings in 4 different provinces (BC, AB, ON, and NB), and I have never seen an IMG who is able to practice as surgeon without repeating surgical residency and clearing the MCCQEs (parts 1 and 2).

It is highly unlikely that your Indian qualifications will allow you to practise as a surgeon here. You will need to do MCCQE 1 and 2, apply to CaRMS as an IMG candidate and pray hard that you get a spot in surgery. Once you have completed your Canadian surgical residency, you will likely need to apply for a fellowship. Then, after your fellowship, you pray hard again that someone somewhere in Canada will hire you. In short, you are better off staying in India.

I think it'll be very hard but I don't think it's impossible to practice as a general surgeon in Canada. It's also not necessarily mandatory that you redo residency in Canada, but a clinical and/or research fellowship would probably be needed. I worked with a general surgeon in Toronto (quite recently hired too) who did medical school and residency in general surgery in Spain, then came to Toronto for a fellowship and was offered a full-time assistant professor position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think some jurisdictions allow someone with foreign credentials to do the NAC OSCE and MCCQE 1/2 in order to apply to work as a clinical assistant in surgery (aka dedicated surgical assist, work call) but I am not sure about working as an attending surgeon without retraining--probably unlikely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, xiphoid said:

I think it'll be very hard but I don't think it's impossible to practice as a general surgeon in Canada. It's also not necessarily mandatory that you redo residency in Canada, but a clinical and/or research fellowship would probably be needed. I worked with a general surgeon in Toronto (quite recently hired too) who did medical school and residency in general surgery in Spain, then came to Toronto for a fellowship and was offered a full-time assistant professor position.

Yeah, the big mistake Canadians have is we think that they will hire us no matter what. Centers routinely hire foreigners who offer a skill set that they can't find in Canadians and these jobs are for life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...