Premed 101 Forums

Which Maritime Province is Best?

Hello,

Does anyone have the statistics for the three Maritime provinces in terms of number of applicants applied, the average score, etc? I'm considering relocating to a Maritime province at the end of this year if I'm not successful in gaining admission in Ontario, and am trying to choose between the Maritime provinces to maximize my chances.

The Dalhousie website has statistics for all of the maritimes combined. It seems like they have the most spots for Nova Scotia, but they might also have the most applicants from there for the Maritime provinces. I've heard some people suggest New Brunswick is the best option, but I have no statistics to back this up.

I would appreciate your help. 

The AFMC has published some data showing that NL, NB, and QC have the highest “relative opportunity” in med school applications. Table 4 in the link below. https://afmc.ca/sites/default/files/CMES2017-Section1-Information.pdf

Another table of their data, that I can’t find right now shows that applicants from NB, NL, and PEI have the highest success rates in the country (percent-wise). NB residents had somewhere around a 30% success rate. There are NB seats at Sherbrooke, Dal, & Memorial and PEI seats at Dal & Memorial. 

8 hours ago, PulsusParadoxus said:

The AFMC has published some data showing that NL, NB, and QC have the highest “relative opportunity” in med school applications. Table 4 in the link below. https://afmc.ca/sites/default/files/CMES2017-Section1-Information.pdf

Another table of their data, that I can’t find right now shows that applicants from NB, NL, and PEI have the highest success rates in the country (percent-wise). NB residents had somewhere around a 30% success rate. There are NB seats at Sherbrooke, Dal, & Memorial and PEI seats at Dal & Memorial. 

I have no desire to apply to memorial or Sherbrooke (do not speak French) so I'm only considering Dalhousie. Basically there isn't much difference between the three Maritime provinces for dalhousie specifically then? Based on the data you provided I'm guessing it's going to be between NB and PEI, not sure which one is optimal. 

The edge goes to NB, higher “relative opportunity” and success rate overall. But again, those stats include applicants to all 3 of those schools (and the rest in the country to a smaller extent).

It’s not clear how this “advantage”, for lack of a better word, is changed by taking those who applied to MUN and Sherbrooke out of the equation though. Ruling out Sherbrooke as you don’t speak French makes sense. My advice, if you do move east to gain home court advantage so-to-speak, would be to apply to MUN and Dal. If you’ve got a geographic advantage, you might as well use it to the fullest. One Canadian medical school is as good as another. 

Just my two cents, although I’m sure there are many opinions on it. 

• 1 year later...