Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites date?

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It could either be the week of December 3rd or week of December 10th.  I’m leaning more on week of December 3rd since usually they send out emails/update OAS in the first week of December that involves a Monday.  However, they may need to check a few things before decisions are final — if that’s the case, it will definitely be out week of 10th.

Fingers crossed!

I think last year, they sent an email on November 20th (Monday) notifying applicants that interview invites will be sent the week of December 4th.  That was exactly a 2-week difference.  Previously, they have also sent the first email on a Friday saying invites will be out less than 2 weeks from then.  So, what does this mean for us?  It means now it is more likely to come out week of Dec 10th than week of Dec 3rd because we haven’t received any email.  If interview invites were going to be released week of Dec 3rd, then we should have received the first email by last Friday (Nov 23).  Hope what I said wasn’t confusing haha.

1 hour ago, Macgirl said:

hmm well maybe they just wont send an email? I wish we got some sort of update, I am really nervous :(

No, they usually (can even say always) do.  I'm pretty sure we'll get the first update email this Friday, which means 90% invites will roll out week of December 10th.  You know why it took this long?  Because they were still checking verifiers last week (maybe even this week?); they're just finalizing the scores.  I totally feel you.  Just know that it's out of our reach now, we've done all we could – pray for the best, prepare for the worst!

28 minutes ago, Neurophiliac said:

No, they usually (can even say always) do.  I'm pretty sure we'll get the first update email this Friday, which means 90% invites will roll out week of December 10th.  You know why it took this long?  Because they were still checking verifiers last week (maybe even this week?); they're just finalizing the scores.  I totally feel you.  Just know that it's out of our reach now, we've done all we could – pray for the best, prepare for the worst!

oh what they were still checking verifiers? I did not know that. 

2 minutes ago, candycane1 said:

oh what they were still checking verifiers? I did not know that. 

Yup – a few people including myself had their verifiers contacted week of November 19th (last week).  I know of 7 verifiers who were contacted mid-October (all on the same day), and then 1 verifier contacted November 19th for the first time.  I'm not sure if they are still contacting verifiers this week.  Nothing to sweat/panic about though.  Like I've mentioned before, if there is a problem, UBC Admissions will let you know.  There is no correlation between receiving an invite (or vice versa, a rejection) and number of verifiers contacted or how many rounds an applicant's verifiers were contacted; it's just a process that admissions has decided to go about.

1 hour ago, Hannnah said:

Anyone else feeling like you're more nervous simply because you don't know when it's coming and we're so close? :( 

Too close, indeed!  But don’t worry, I’m pretty sure we’ll get some sort of update this Friday (hopefully!).  But yes, I’m excited and anxious at the same time too, haha.  Can’t believe December is almost here though; time flies.

Has anyone heard anything from UBC admissions regarding the interview invite dates? I looked at the dates they posted for the actual interviews and it's one day earlier than last year so it's possible it will be one day earlier this year for invites ie: December 3rd this year instead of 4th like last year.

29 minutes ago, Premed97 said:

Has anyone heard anything from UBC admissions regarding the interview invite dates? I looked at the dates they posted for the actual interviews and it's one day earlier than last year so it's possible it will be one day earlier this year for invites ie: December 3rd this year instead of 4th like last year.

Nothing yet — it’s too quiet!  I’m sure we’ll get an email any minute now regarding an update.  If not today, then Monday for sure.  I seriously doubt interview invites will be coming out next week (week of Dec 3rd).  It’s very likely to be week of Dec 10th.  It’s hard to be patient though haha :P

18 minutes ago, keener12345 said:

what are the odds of them dropping invites next week? Because if they do in fact release invites on week of December 10th, it will usually come out the Thursday which would be December 13th, which is like Mid-December LOL

I hope the chances are high and they do come out next week! I know everyone says they usually send out an email beforehand but maybe it will only come a day before. If everything is pushed back, it also means that the deadline to book an interview would run into the holidays... I would imagine they want everything to be taken care of before then, but who knows. If I had to pick between getting a decline next week or an invite the following week, you know what my choice would be! I’m happy to impatiently wait :) 

Alright guys, so we didn't get any update today.

*Hyper-Analysis Mode:  ACTIVATED*  (lol)

Things to bear in mind from last cycle:

- The update email was sent on Monday, November 20th

- Interview invites were sent during week of December 4th (2 weeks after initial update email)

- Deadline for interview registration was Wednesday, December 20th (~2 weeks after interview invites)

Option 1:

The initial update email will come this Monday, letting us know that interview decisions will be out week of December 10th.  Deadline will be on Friday, December 21st (~1 week after invites are out).  This takes into account the holiday break (basically, UBC is a ghost town during week of Christmas Eve).  ODDS:  Unlikely, because ~1 week deadline is too short.

Option 2:

The initial update email will come this Monday, letting us know that interview decisions will be out week of December 10th.  Deadline will be on Friday, December 28th (~2 weeks after invites are out).  ODDS:  Very likely, because the 2-week-deadline condition is met; the registration is an online system and it doesn't matter that it falls during the holidays – the system will lock out as soon as the deadline is met (it will be the responsibility of applicants to register on time).

Option 3:

To hell with the initial email, interview invites will roll out this coming week!  (Meaning that most likely rejections will come out this Monday.)  Perhaps admissions changed their system and they will not inform applicants since the information may be only particular to invited interviewees – they will include the FAQ regarding AQ & NAQ calculations in the rejection emails.  ODDS:  Very unlikely, because this doesn't really make sense.  Every year prior to sending interview invites, UBC Med Admissions always sends an email to initially update and prepare applicants regarding interview notifications.  They also give a brief description of who will get to see what (i.e. what's the difference between receiving an invitation, rejection after full file review, rejection after partial file review, and being ineligible in terms of viewing scores, etc.).

Option 4:

Maybe they changed their system from another perspective.  Perhaps we get the initial update email this Monday, followed by invites near the end of the week (to allow more time for the interview registration before the deadline), and then regrets will come the next week after.  ODDS:  Honestly, not sure.  This is possible – there is no defined rule that regrets should come on a certain day and invitations should come on another.  So, the odds are anywhere between unlikely to likely.

I don't think there has been a case where the initial update email has come in December haha (maybe really far back).  There is an easy answer to why:  Basically, admissions committee is very busy!  Perhaps there are many more applicants this year than ever before.  We don't really know.  However, we can be sure that the admissions committee is doing their best to be systematic and fair for all applicants.  As a result, they may be waiting for just the last few verifiers to reply meanwhile finalizing certain scores.  Let's have faith in our applications!  

Don't stress too much about it.  Just enjoy the awesome weekend ahead :).  Also, congratulations to everyone that finished their last day of classes for the term today, and best of luck on upcoming exams!

10 hours ago, Neurophiliac said:

Alright guys, so we didn't get any update today.

*Hyper-Analysis Mode:  ACTIVATED*  (lol)

Things to bear in mind from last cycle:

- The update email was sent on Monday, November 20th

- Interview invites were sent during week of December 4th (2 weeks after initial update email)

- Deadline for interview registration was Wednesday, December 20th (~2 weeks after interview invites)

Option 1:

The initial update email will come this Monday, letting us know that interview decisions will be out week of December 10th.  Deadline will be on Friday, December 21st (~1 week after invites are out).  This takes into account the holiday break (basically, UBC is a ghost town during week of Christmas Eve).  ODDS:  Unlikely, because ~1 week deadline is too short.

Option 2:

The initial update email will come this Monday, letting us know that interview decisions will be out week of December 10th.  Deadline will be on Friday, December 28th (~2 weeks after invites are out).  ODDS:  Very likely, because the 2-week-deadline condition is met; the registration is an online system and it doesn't matter that it falls during the holidays – the system will lock out as soon as the deadline is met (it will be the responsibility of applicants to register on time).

Option 3:

To hell with the initial email, interview invites will roll out this coming week!  (Meaning that most likely rejections will come out this Monday.)  Perhaps admissions changed their system and they will not inform applicants since the information may be only particular to invited interviewees – they will include the FAQ regarding AQ & NAQ calculations in the rejection emails.  ODDS:  Very unlikely, because this doesn't really make sense.  Every year prior to sending interview invites, UBC Med Admissions always sends an email to initially update and prepare applicants regarding interview notifications.  They also give a brief description of who will get to see what (i.e. what's the difference between receiving an invitation, rejection after full file review, rejection after partial file review, and being ineligible in terms of viewing scores, etc.).

Option 4:

Maybe they changed their system from another perspective.  Perhaps we get the initial update email this Monday, followed by invites near the end of the week (to allow more time for the interview registration before the deadline), and then regrets will come the next week after.  ODDS:  Honestly, not sure.  This is possible – there is no defined rule that regrets should come on a certain day and invitations should come on another.  So, the odds are anywhere between unlikely to likely.

I don't think there has been a case where the initial update email has come in December haha (maybe really far back).  There is an easy answer to why:  Basically, admissions committee is very busy!  Perhaps there are many more applicants this year than ever before.  We don't really know.  However, we can be sure that the admissions committee is doing their best to be systematic and fair for all applicants.  As a result, they may be waiting for just the last few verifiers to reply meanwhile finalizing certain scores.  Let's have faith in our applications!  

Don't stress too much about it.  Just enjoy the awesome weekend ahead :).  Also, congratulations to everyone that finished their last day of classes for the term today, and best of luck on upcoming exams!

This is what I was thinking about for an hour lying in bed last night not being able to fall asleep... Glad I'm not the only one! 

I’m in second year Med. The year I got accepted, we didn’t receive the interview update email until Nov 28th, and then I received the interview invite on Dec 15th which was the Thursday, and mid December haha. The week of Dec 10th is likely when they’ll come out, which actually isn’t late. Last year was just pretty early. 

40 minutes ago, NKcell said:

I’m in second year Med. The year I got accepted, we didn’t receive the interview update email until Nov 28th, and then I received the interview invite on Dec 15th which was the Thursday, and mid December haha. The week of Dec 10th is likely when they’ll come out, which actually isn’t late. Last year was just pretty early. 

Thanks for the info! I guess it’s just a case of hurry up and wait... I can’t even fathom how many hours must go into reviewing all the applications. I’ve been on award committees where I’ve had maybe 50 applications to read, and even that was exhausting by the end! 

Archived