Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites date?

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Snoop_doc123 said:

Does anyone know whether all the regrets are sent out today? Meaning if you didn’t get a regret, then you will get an interview invite for sure? Or is it possible to get rejected anytime this week?

It is possible to be rejected anytime this week

2 minutes ago, Snoop_doc123 said:

Does anyone know whether all the regrets are sent out today? Meaning if you didn’t get a regret, then you will get an interview invite for sure? Or is it possible to get rejected anytime this week?

1 minute ago, Matty66 said:

It is possible to be rejected anytime this week

It is possible but your odds shoot up significantly if you make it through today as I am anticipating that the majority of the rejections will have been sent out by then.

Just now, Snoop_doc123 said:

Oh okay, if you don’t mind me asking, how do you know? Has it happened all the time in the past or did the admissions office say that? I’m just a stressed individual here haha

Ya totally, no worries. I’ve heard this from past applicants.

18 minutes ago, this_process_is_death said:

You’re a friggin champion. I honestly hope you get in!

Thanks, not really though. I’m just stubborn as hell and I’ve lived through so much that I realize you really only do have one life to make it happen. 

12 minutes ago, buddy2550 said:

maybe one of your verifiers didn't check out properly?????

I don't even know. I contacted everyone on my list before I submitted and they were all good. -.-

Honestly guys, where do I even go from here? Like, it's not like I can add anything more to this. Every year I add more and more valuable and relevant things. I don't know how to come back from this dumpster fire of an NAQ, a compilation of activities that prior to this cycle had gotten me a good NAQ score. My only hope is Queen's at this point. 

25 minutes ago, whompingwillow said:

I've heard UBC contact you if there are discrepancies or problems with your verifiers but not sure how true this is

This is true. They sent me an e-mail indicating that one or more of my verifiers didn't respond. The e-mail does not specify whom.  Each verifier is given one week to confirm your experience. One of my verifiers responded to my e-mails and texts after the deadline....assuming this is why my NAQ score was lower than anticipated. 

1 hour ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

Regrets.

My NAQ score dropped over 15 points. Wow.

Oh my gosh... are you serious?!  I heard something similar that happened to another applicant this year... dropping that much is unheard of... I honestly can't even reason why :(  If you like, PM me and we can chat further.

54 minutes ago, ATG4B said:

For everyone who is not getting the news they wanted today ... I want to tell you a little bit more about me in the hopes that it will bolster your spirit to keep pushing forward. I was all set to apply in 2006, but a family member became very ill and I had to put my dreams on hold. I tried several times over the coming years to go back to school, but I couldn’t manage to juggle full time work and full time school. It wasn’t until I turned 30 that I decided to sell pretty much everything I had in order to head back to school. It has been far from an easy road, but I wouldn’t change it for anything! I’m definitely not the same person I was in 2006 and I appreciate every opportunity for the blessing that it is. I don’t know what this year has in store for me, but I do know that I’m a hell of a lot stronger than I thought I was. You will find that out about yourself too if you keep pushing ahead. Be kind to yourself right now and know that one (or even many) regret email, doesn’t define you in any way! Hugs to you all. 

Thank you for sharing this with all of us.  To some degree, I can empathize with you.  Another comment of yours I would love to like a 1000 times.  I, too, emphasize the end part of @ATG4B's message that one, two, or more regrets notifications don't define us.  As cliche as it is, it is true that pursuing medicine is a marathon – not just getting accepted to a medical program, but it's relevant to even what comes after it.  Stay strong guys, sending my hugs to you all too.

I know how frustrating it can be, so please if anyone wants to chat, PM me – I would love to offer support as best as I can.

1 hour ago, whompingwillow said:

I've heard UBC contact you if there are discrepancies or problems with your verifiers but not sure how true this is

34 minutes ago, yeeewww said:

This is true. They sent me an e-mail indicating that one or more of my verifiers didn't respond. The e-mail does not specify whom.  Each verifier is given one week to confirm your experience. One of my verifiers responded to my e-mails and texts after the deadline....assuming this is why my NAQ score was lower than anticipated. 

UBC only contacts you if one of your verifiers doesn't respond. If one of your verifiers contradicts what you have written (I believe they tick the 'No' box and then have a text box for comment), I don't think UBC notifies you. I could be wrong, but this is what I've heard from upper years and staff. 

26 minutes ago, pyridoxal-phosphate said:

For anyone who did not get the news they wanted, keep your heads up and be proud of yourself for putting the effort in to put your best foot forward. I know this is easier said than done but give yourself a pat on the back, and come back even stronger. While I have so much respect for the work that the UBC admissions puts in, I don't think i'm alone in thinking that the NAQ score seems like... a bit BS. 

As an aside, is there anyone who objectively (I know this is impossible to know) believes they had a TFR < cutoff, but did not receive any news today? A.aasking for a friend

I'm honestly shocked that I haven't received regrets yet- My AGPA was an 84, and last year my NAQ was garbage. My little sliver of hope is slowly returning (eeks!)

2 minutes ago, pyridoxal-phosphate said:

Based on what people are writing (and people I know in person) regarding their NAQ and their ECs, I just do not see how I could have an NAQ high enough to meet the TFR cutoff...

Crossing fingers for both of us but just can't help feeling that I'll just get hit with some random rejection wave later this week lol. 

fingers crossed for you too!! UBC is always full of surprises aha

1 minute ago, lorde said:

Out of curiosity: they only offer 10% of their seats to OOP, but they reviewed 1307 IP applicants and 704 OOP applicants this year. That's more than half as many OOPs reviewed, for only a small fraction of their available seats. Seems like a lot of work. Do yall think they review the OOP applications as in-depth or is it a faster/harsher process because of the applicants:seats ratio?

Well, certainly it's a lot more competition!  However, from adcom's perspective, I think everyone is treated the same in terms of how in-depth they look at applications.  It's already tough for OOPs to meet the interview cutoff!

3 minutes ago, lorde said:

Out of curiosity: they only offer 10% of their seats to OOP, but they reviewed 1307 IP applicants and 704 OOP applicants this year. That's more than half as many OOPs reviewed, for only a small fraction of their available seats. Seems like a lot of work. Do yall think they review the OOP applications as in-depth or is it a faster/harsher process because of the applicants:seats ratio?

I think it's the same because the scores are standardized against the entire applicant pool.

4 hours ago, ATG4B said:

Thanks, not really though. I’m just stubborn as hell and I’ve lived through so much that I realize you really only do have one life to make it happen. 

This is my first time applying and I got a regret :( my TFR was 35 (AQ 79=~13 and NAQ 22) so super low !! Are you in medicine now? Looking for motivation to keep going at the moment haha . 

Archived