Premed 101 Forums

2 minutes ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

Regrets.

My NAQ score dropped over 15 points. Wow.

might be a little angry right now as I got regrets also but how the f is that possible UBC???

I understand standardizing against the applicant pool, but there's no way that standardization alone account for that

For everyone who is not getting the news they wanted today ... I want to tell you a little bit more about me in the hopes that it will bolster your spirit to keep pushing forward. I was all set to apply in 2006, but a family member became very ill and I had to put my dreams on hold. I tried several times over the coming years to go back to school, but I couldn’t manage to juggle full time work and full time school. It wasn’t until I turned 30 that I decided to sell pretty much everything I had in order to head back to school. It has been far from an easy road, but I wouldn’t change it for anything! I’m definitely not the same person I was in 2006 and I appreciate every opportunity for the blessing that it is. I don’t know what this year has in store for me, but I do know that I’m a hell of a lot stronger than I thought I was. You will find that out about yourself too if you keep pushing ahead. Be kind to yourself right now and know that one (or even many) regret email, doesn’t define you in any way! Hugs to you all. 

1 minute ago, kronos said:

might be a little angry right now as I got regrets also but how the f is that possible UBC???

I understand standardizing against the applicant pool, but there's no way that standardization alone account for that

In all honesty, the selection process is still subjective, even with all the standardization added. It also doesn’t help that applicants in Canada have such an absurd hill to climb :(

Just now, ATG4B said:

For everyone who is not getting the news they wanted today ... I want to tell you a little bit more about me in the hopes that it will bolster your spirit to keep pushing forward. I was all set to apply in 2006, but a family member became very ill and I had to put my dreams on hold. I tried several times over the coming years to go back to school, but I couldn’t manage to juggle full time work and full time school. It wasn’t until I turned 30 that I decided to sell pretty much everything I had in order to head back to school. It has been far from an easy road, but I wouldn’t change it for anything! I’m definitely not the same person I was in 2006 and I appreciate every opportunity for the blessing that it is. I don’t know what this year has in store for me, but I do know that I’m a hell of a lot stronger than I thought I was. You will find that out about yourself too if you keep pushing ahead. Be kind to yourself right now and know that one (or even many) regret email, doesn’t define you in any way! Hugs to you all. 

You’re a friggin champion. I honestly hope you get in!

Just now, Snoop_doc123 said:

Does anyone know whether all the regrets are sent out today? Meaning if you didn’t get a regret, then you will get an interview invite for sure? Or is it possible to get rejected anytime this week?

It is possible to be rejected anytime this week

1 minute ago, Matty66 said:

Oh okay, if you don’t mind me asking, how do you know? Has it happened all the time in the past or did the admissions office say that? I’m just a stressed individual here haha

2 minutes ago, Snoop_doc123 said:

Does anyone know whether all the regrets are sent out today? Meaning if you didn’t get a regret, then you will get an interview invite for sure? Or is it possible to get rejected anytime this week?

1 minute ago, Matty66 said:

It is possible but your odds shoot up significantly if you make it through today as I am anticipating that the majority of the rejections will have been sent out by then.

Just now, Snoop_doc123 said:

Oh okay, if you don’t mind me asking, how do you know? Has it happened all the time in the past or did the admissions office say that? I’m just a stressed individual here haha

Ya totally, no worries. I’ve heard this from past applicants.

Got regrets. AQ went up much higher than I expected. Previous application (2016-17) was 19 something and now to 25. NAQ dropped by 5 points so I didn't meet the TFR cutoff for IP. Got back from one of my verifiers saying they wanted to correct something on the app. How much does a discrepancy hurt your NAQ? 

12 minutes ago, buddy2550 said:

maybe one of your verifiers didn't check out properly?????

I don't even know. I contacted everyone on my list before I submitted and they were all good. -.-

Honestly guys, where do I even go from here? Like, it's not like I can add anything more to this. Every year I add more and more valuable and relevant things. I don't know how to come back from this dumpster fire of an NAQ, a compilation of activities that prior to this cycle had gotten me a good NAQ score. My only hope is Queen's at this point. 

25 minutes ago, whompingwillow said:

I've heard UBC contact you if there are discrepancies or problems with your verifiers but not sure how true this is

This is true. They sent me an e-mail indicating that one or more of my verifiers didn't respond. The e-mail does not specify whom.  Each verifier is given one week to confirm your experience. One of my verifiers responded to my e-mails and texts after the deadline....assuming this is why my NAQ score was lower than anticipated. 

1 hour ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

Regrets.

My NAQ score dropped over 15 points. Wow.

Oh my gosh... are you serious?!  I heard something similar that happened to another applicant this year... dropping that much is unheard of... I honestly can't even reason why :(  If you like, PM me and we can chat further.

54 minutes ago, ATG4B said:

Thank you for sharing this with all of us.  To some degree, I can empathize with you.  Another comment of yours I would love to like a 1000 times.  I, too, emphasize the end part of @ATG4B's message that one, two, or more regrets notifications don't define us.  As cliche as it is, it is true that pursuing medicine is a marathon – not just getting accepted to a medical program, but it's relevant to even what comes after it.  Stay strong guys, sending my hugs to you all too.

I know how frustrating it can be, so please if anyone wants to chat, PM me – I would love to offer support as best as I can.

1 hour ago, whompingwillow said:

I've heard UBC contact you if there are discrepancies or problems with your verifiers but not sure how true this is

34 minutes ago, yeeewww said:

This is true. They sent me an e-mail indicating that one or more of my verifiers didn't respond. The e-mail does not specify whom.  Each verifier is given one week to confirm your experience. One of my verifiers responded to my e-mails and texts after the deadline....assuming this is why my NAQ score was lower than anticipated. 

UBC only contacts you if one of your verifiers doesn't respond. If one of your verifiers contradicts what you have written (I believe they tick the 'No' box and then have a text box for comment), I don't think UBC notifies you. I could be wrong, but this is what I've heard from upper years and staff.