Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites date?

Just checked my email: Regrets. IP, 84% average, 509 MCAT with a 129 CARS.  NAQ dropped a significant enough amount to make me wonder wtf happened since I applied with the exact same application as I did last year but with a couple other activities and more hours.. Well that's it guys. I'm tried of this arbitrary rat race.  I'm going the Australian route. Good luck to those who get acceptances and for those who didn't, hope you do next cycle. Farewell premed101. 

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Sickofitall said:

Just checked my email: Regrets. IP, 84% average, 509 MCAT with a 129 CARS.  NAQ dropped a significant enough amount to make me wonder wtf happened since I applied with the exact same application as I did last year but with a couple other activities and more hours.. Well that's it guys. I'm tried of this arbitrary rat race.  I'm going the Australian route. Good luck to those who get acceptances and for those who didn't, hope you do next cycle. Farewell premed101. 

Good luck. I agree, this whole NAQ process is very arbitrary. People make out the international route to be bad, but a motivated and committed student will surely succeed anywhere, so I would say Australia is a great choice if you don't want to try again

Just now, Slickrick said:

Good luck. I agree, this whole NAQ process is very arbitrary. People make out the international route to be bad, but a motivated and committed student will surely succeed anywhere, so I would say Australia is a great choice if you don't want to try again

cheers I'll probably need it, hopefully I will either be able to get a primary care residency (family med or psyc ideally) back in Canada or through the Australian Commonwealth Intern program but who knows. Highly unlikely I'll return home anytime soon based on data from Carms. Canada needs to fix their medical school and residency issues. When students with overall grades in the A- to A range, decent MCAT scores and plenty of good extracurricular activities are rejected for a few cycles straight it really says something is warped with this whole system. 

1 hour ago, Sickofitall said:

cheers I'll probably need it, hopefully I will either be able to get a primary care residency (family med or psyc ideally) back in Canada or through the Australian Commonwealth Intern program but who knows. Highly unlikely I'll return home anytime soon based on data from Carms. Canada needs to fix their medical school and residency issues. When students with overall grades in the A- to A range, decent MCAT scores and plenty of good extracurricular activities are rejected for a few cycles straight it really says something is warped with this whole system. 

Just know that because you are taking a path of least resistance, the resistance will catch up with you later. I can't imagine studying my ass off for another 4 years in a foreign country, knee deep in debt and trying to sleep at night wondering if I'm ever going to become a doctor. I would rather seek a different career altogether. For a long time I considered going to Poland because it is cheap (80-90k cad) so even if I fail to match somewhere, I don't have half a million dollars of debt. Ultimately I decided it is either Canada or a different career. I want some degree of certainty, I want this story to end.

1 minute ago, Frederick Sanger said:

I agree with your approach: It is more rational, more cost-effective and most likely to lead to a pleasant sense of gratification and self-fulfillment (aka getting into medical school).

I should make a post on this page about all the risks associated with leaving for Carribean schools or European/commonwealth destinations.  

Please do because Australia is looking better and better every cycle. :/

I'm in the same boat as sickofitall... thinking about the aus route... *shrugs* I still have to try the USA and I am still waiting for OMSAS results... not too hopeful there now though. Guess I will be buying the medschool admissions record book to see what schools are my best chance in USA.

47 minutes ago, Frederick Sanger said:

How many cycles have you been applying to UBC for? And have you had an upward trend? 

This was my 4th. 1st year no invite, NAQ ~22-24; 2nd year invite NAQ ~34; 3rd year invite NAQ ~32: 4th year no invite NAQ ~15-17. Added activities every time, kept most of the wording from successful cycles (changed it from 1st to 2nd). My AGPA went up at least. How does this happen though? The fact that I feel I have nothing to go on makes it hard to see where I can improve. What else is there to do but give up really? I mean, yeah keep doing what I'm doing and keep throwing my hat in the ring but now this process seems 100% random for the NAQ. I wasn't anticipating a drop like that. Maybe a few points if any but like, to receive less points than my first cycle? When my experiences were less and the wording was worse? I'm stunned. And so tired of this.

I'm starting to think of alternative careers. I can't be in limbo forever. I want this so bad but maybe I'll never get there. The feeling of giving up on a dream is like mourning. I'm almost there. Maybe not fully because I'm still waiting for OMSAS schools but even so. I'm not hopeful at all for those.

5 hours ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

This is my current mood ahaha.  In summer of 2017, I was accepted to USyd’s MD program but turned it down to try my luck in Canada...it’s now almost 2019. I feel like the Canadian system has created an arrested development for hundreds if not thousands of qualified students. 

4 hours ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

This was my 4th. 1st year no invite, NAQ ~22-24; 2nd year invite NAQ ~34; 3rd year invite NAQ ~32: 4th year no invite NAQ ~15-17. Added activities every time, kept most of the wording from successful cycles (changed it from 1st to 2nd). My AGPA went up at least. How does this happen though? The fact that I feel I have nothing to go on makes it hard to see where I can improve. What else is there to do but give up really? I mean, yeah keep doing what I'm doing and keep throwing my hat in the ring but now this process seems 100% random for the NAQ. I wasn't anticipating a drop like that. Maybe a few points if any but like, to receive less points than my first cycle? When my experiences were less and the wording was worse? I'm stunned. And so tired of this.

I'm starting to think of alternative careers. I can't be in limbo forever. I want this so bad but maybe I'll never get there. The feeling of giving up on a dream is like mourning. I'm almost there. Maybe not fully because I'm still waiting for OMSAS schools but even so. I'm not hopeful at all for those.

Completely felt you last cycle. After two years of applying, I'm currently applying while doing another professional program. At some point it just didnt make sense for me that I was potentially shelving away so many years of my life without any movement in my career just to pursue medicine. I highly recommend it if it's something you're considering. The sense of security and confidence I have coming into this cycle is unlikely any I've previously had, I've learned valuable things within my interaction with clients, and I know at the end of the day if I get rejected I'd have put this year to good use rather blindly hoping for invites to a field I might never get into. The cons of course include that the subject matter isnt my favorite and I get burnt out quite fast (but I've still been performing well just by matter of diligence), cost and that the program might hit your GPA. And I'm far from the only one doing this- there are a lot of premeds still in first year Dent, pharm, law and etc who end up leaving their programs after firet year. I've had to wrestle with the fact that I'm taking up someone who could have dreamed of  being in my place's spot the past year (I got into this earlier and could have gone immediately after graduating but I chose to give myself another shot at apps). Thankfully my program in particular is very oversaturated and there are many schools such that a person who had failed to get into mine will still have the credentials to get into most other ones in Canada. Additionally, any skills I learn from this field I plan on using in medicine as I was planning on doing a very specific specialty which relies on this profession to begin with.

All the best with your upcoming decisions.

6 hours ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

I'm in the same boat as sickofitall... thinking about the aus route... *shrugs* I still have to try the USA and I am still waiting for OMSAS results... not too hopeful there now though. Guess I will be buying the medschool admissions record book to see what schools are my best chance in USA.

I would suggest applying to the USA MD and DO streams next cycle, your GPA is higher in the states depending on what your undergraduate school considers an A. With Canada's IMG seats likely to decrease due to Canadians being unable to match, being a US MD is a benefit because you apply through CARMS with the Canadian applicants and USA is closer if you want to set up clerkship rotations which overall help with getting a residency spot. Even DO programs in my opinion are more feasible then an Australian, Caribbean or Ireland MD (despite them being great programs and a great education) because their match rates in the US are much higher then that of IMGs and with the AOA and ACGME residencies combining in 2020 their standing in the USA system is improving and you are in the North American system which prepares you to write the boards (don't need to figure out writing boards when abroad). There are also schools like MSUCOM that have a Canadian initiative where they give 20k/yr scholarships to Canadians in hopes of them returning to Canada to spread the DO degree (usually in internal and family). Something to think about.  

Is it me or are there far less people posting regrets this year? I suspect either many used this thread and are not relaying their results to the invite/rejection thread, or in a more sinister turn of a events, a second wave of rejections will occur. It appears there are half as many people posting in comparison to previous years for the Monday. 

17 minutes ago, Instagrammar said:

Is it me or are there far less people posting regrets this year? I suspect either many used this thread and are not relaying their results to the invite/rejection thread, or in a more sinister turn of a events, a second wave of rejections will occur. It appears there are half as many people posting in comparison to previous years for the Monday. 

THANK YOU I WAS THINKING THIS TOO! 

On 12/11/2018 at 7:03 AM, Instagrammar said:

6 hours ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

Hey man, I sent you a PM.

7 minutes ago, Poloma said:

YOU MEAN I MIGHT HEAR TOMORROW? :wub:

If we got invites we will 100% hear tomorrow, because according to the UBC website "Applicants who submit all required documents and fees by the early application deadline and who are invited to interview will receive their interview invitation a day earlier than the general applicant pool."

Just now, keener12345 said:

If we got invites we will 100% hear tomorrow, because according to the UBC website "Applicants who submit all required documents and fees by the early application deadline and who are invited to interview will receive their interview invitation a day earlier than the general applicant pool."

pls NO MORE REJECTIONS :rolleyes:

Archived