Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites date?

Just now, Neurophiliac said:

Low-key still worried about the fiends you mentioned last year who go rejected on the day invites were sent.  But let's hope no more rejections come... Can't be sure until we get the interview invite status!

Yea I was chatting with one of them today and she is SO NERVOUS 

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So guys just realized something.  Maybe they sent early invites today so that the regular invites (which will likely come tomorrow) don't fall on the "13th"; they don't want us regular deadliners to feel like we'll be cursed.

Jk jk :lol::lol:

But seriously, I have a great guess as to why everything shifted forward by one day.  It's primarily because everything (with the initial update and all) was delayed by about a week.  Since the interview registration deadline falls on Dec 21st (next Friday), they want to maximize the time that invited interviewees have in order to register.

5 minutes ago, Neurophiliac said:

But seriously, I have a great guess as to why everything shifted forward by one day.  It's primarily because everything (with the initial update and all) was delayed by about a week.  Since the interview registration deadline falls on Dec 21st (next Friday), they want to maximize the time that invited interviewees have in order to register. 

Also note that, with the holidays approaching, every day early in the process is valuable, since people tend to fly away to exotic locations over the holidays. As exams are wrapping up, people fly away, and right now is the critical period where exams are starting to finish for some people, but before those 1 to 2 week holidays conflict with Christmas.

1 minute ago, Condude said:

Also note that, with the holidays approaching, every day early in the process is valuable, since people tend to fly away to exotic locations over the holidays. As exams are wrapping up, people fly away, and right now is the critical period where exams are starting to finish for some people, but before those 1 to 2 week holidays conflict with Christmas.

Bingo.  100% agreed.

20 hours ago, Frederick Sanger said:

There is no doubt about the system having major flaws: keeping people like you away from their system. But, I would highly advise you to reconsider. What was your previous NAQ and what is it right now? What details have you added? Perhaps, try to apply broadly to other schools. Your CARS is great for McMaster, Calgary and Alberta so is your GPA. In fact, as long as you meet a flat 125 you could apply to Toronto as well. I advise you to not lose motivation just yet because should you plan to come back to Canada, it may be nearly impossible and you will be introduced to even further uncertainty. Calculate all the steps and future steps before you make your final decision and I suggest you give it a week before you finalize your thoughts. I am very sorry about today and I hope that you recover soon. You deserved a spot for sure. Feel free to message me too. I am happy to help. 

I appreciate your optimism but I am out of hope. I've also applied to mac and calgary without much luck in the past. My GPA is around 3.7 for mac since they look at all grades. As an OOP in an applicant pool of over 5000 it's probably futile unless I have a CARS in the 131/132 range.  For calgary it's barely 3.8  using their weighing formula and that is probably my best chance in Canada but again, I am not an Alberta resident. I've considered moving to another province just to have a slightly better chance at potentially pursuing my dream which is ridiculous now that I think about it. The prospect of being able  to definitely attend medical school in Australia, which is on par or arguably better than Canada in terms of healthcare I might add, is very appealing every cycle with these rejections. If you actually do write a post/outline of the risks of going to medical school in other commonwealth nations and how difficult it is to come back I would welcome it.

1 hour ago, Sickofitall said:

I appreciate your optimism but I am out of hope. I've also applied to mac and calgary without much luck in the past. My GPA is around 3.7 for mac since they look at all grades. As an OOP in an applicant pool of over 5000 it's probably futile unless I have a CARS in the 131/132 range.  For calgary it's barely 3.8  using their weighing formula and that is probably my best chance in Canada but again, I am not an Alberta resident. I've considered moving to another province just to have a slightly better chance at potentially pursuing my dream which is ridiculous now that I think about it. The prospect of being able  to definitely attend medical school in Australia, which is on par or arguably better than Canada in terms of healthcare I might add, is very appealing every cycle with these rejections. If you actually do write a post/outline of the risks of going to medical school in other commonwealth nations and how difficult it is to come back I would welcome it.

That’s a tough situation. I am sorry to hear you’ve continued to hit the wall with admissions. 

If you’re seriously feeling like you’re willing to move to Australia, maybe moving to Alberta really is worth considering? I know a couple people who moved provinces to increase their chances as IP applicants there because the schools were more favourable to their situation, and it worked out for them after 1-2 years in each case. Or if you’re really adventurous, you could even considering heading up north to gain IP for BC and Alberta schools. There is still no guarantee it’ll work, but you may be happier in the end having tried that approach, compared to a situation where you start Med sooner but have significantly increased difficulty of returning later? That said, I know a few people who have moved to Australia for other reasons over the years, and many of them have stayed — depending on your life goals and priorities it’s not necessarily insane to go overseas. It’s got pros and cons, like anything else.

As a 3rd-time applicant with 2 pre-interview regrets (by 1.5 points in 2016 and 0.5 in 2017), I am a little scared for tomorrow.

I have not received a 'regrets' email yet, and I don't know how I will feel if I actually do get an interview.

Yesterday and today involved me looking at my phone every few minutes.. it's obscene.

I've been lurking on these forums since 2015 and I want to say thank you to all the brave souls who have shared their experiences with us.

To those who have received regrets this year, it's okay to feel frustrated. You are not alone. I've been there twice, many of us have. It's okay to be sad about it for a few hours, or a few days, but please pick yourselves up and keep doing what you are doing - push, push, push.

May the odds be ever in our favour for tomorrow 

<3

2 minutes ago, rainbowinsomeonescloud said:

As a 3rd-time applicant with 2 pre-interview regrets (by 1.5 points in 2016 and 0.5 in 2017), I am a little scared for tomorrow.

I have not received a 'regrets' email yet, and I don't know how I will feel if I actually do get an interview.

Yesterday and today involved me looking at my phone every few minutes.. it's obscene.

I've been lurking on these forums since 2015 and I want to say thank you to all the brave souls who have shared their experiences with us.

To those who have received regrets this year, it's okay to feel frustrated. You are not alone. I've been there twice, many of us have. It's okay to be sad about it for a few hours, or a few days, but please pick yourselves up and keep doing what you are doing - push, push, push.

May the odds be ever in our favour for tomorrow 

<3

This is so wholesome <3 I love it, thank you for this. 

Archived