Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites date?

8 minutes ago, keener12345 said:

Guys, I'm kind of worried lol. Does the fact that they are taking this long mean there was a MASSIVE spike in the number of applicants? If so, do you think that NAQ will be scored more rigorously and AQ formula will be harsh. What do you think this means for the average GPA % this year? While we are on that topic, what do you think my chances are this cycle with a 91.09% GPA for an OOP applicant. Last year I was 2 points away from cut-off. This year, I re-wrote most of my entries from last year, added some new ones, increased hours, etc.

I’ve learned not to read too much into things like this... but I admit, it’s hard not to!  There are many reasons for a possible delay, including that they never intended to have any updates ready for this week. If there is in fact an increase in the number of applications, I would expect NAQ to still follow a pretty even curve. Even a few hundred extra applications isn’t going to skew things very much; they will still score them according to their established criteria and everyone is ultimately normalized to the mean. As for AQ, again I don’t see any reason why this year would favour a bunch of people with high GPA’s applying. Every year there is going to be a bit of variation for one reason or another, so I think you just have to appreciate that you have done your best and it’s out of your hands (at least until the interview!) 

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, keener12345 said:

Guys, I'm kind of worried lol. Does the fact that they are taking this long mean there was a MASSIVE spike in the number of applicants? If so, do you think that NAQ will be scored more rigorously and AQ formula will be harsh. What do you think this means for the average GPA % this year? While we are on that topic, what do you think my chances are this cycle with a 91.09% GPA for an OOP applicant. Last year I was 2 points away from cut-off. This year, I re-wrote most of my entries from last year, added some new ones, increased hours, etc.

Totally agree with @ATG4B’s comments.  Regarding your chances, I think you have a good chance ;) especially if you were only 2 points away.

17 hours ago, keener12345 said:

Imagine Being 0.03 points off from last year. If the NAQ changes such that my entries no longer achieve the same score I will be devastated.

1 hour ago, mdpwns1763 said:

Imagine Being 0.03 points off from last year. If the NAQ changes such that my entries no longer achieve the same score I will be devastated.

Awww... that's so tough to bear :(  You should be hopeful though!  You're definitely really, really close so let's see what happens.  Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

38 minutes ago, Macgirl said:

why is there so much silence :( 

I think they may be sending the initial update email on Friday  :/

42 minutes ago, Macgirl said:

also, i doubt there is a huge difference in number of applicants

Yeah, realistically I don't think there is a huge difference.  Even if there was, it's not really a significant, contributory reason for why it has taken this long to finalize interview decisions, let alone it being the sole reason.  But no matter the mystery, we're very close to finding out our decisions!

Anyone else incredibly frustrated at how long this is taking just to get an initial e-mail.. no word on the delay, nothing on the blog, just pure silence... I understand the complexity of the process and that everything needs to be checked carefully, but as an applicant, this is super tolling on mental health..

7 minutes ago, keener12345 said:

Anyone else incredibly frustrated at how long this is taking just to get an initial e-mail.. no word on the delay, nothing on the blog, just pure silence... I understand the complexity of the process and that everything needs to be checked carefully, but as an applicant, this is super tolling on mental health..

Can’t say I disagree, but I guess it’s all “character” building. The reality is that we will be joining a profession where decisions, timelines, outcomes etc are often somewhat out of our control, so we might as well develop the skills to handle it. I have been waiting close to 15 years to put in my application (mature applicant here); I try to enjoy every moment (good, bad and indifferent), otherwise life will pass you by. It’s easier said than done however, and next week can’t come soon enough for me either!  

42 minutes ago, keener12345 said:

Again, I agree with @ATG4B.  I know exactly how you feel; often times I find myself checking the admissions blog like once every hour during the day haha.  Relatively speaking though, I think we’re not too far off from the typical application timeline/calendar.  It seems that everything has been pushed back by only a week.  To put things in perspective, we’ve been waiting for ~2.5 months = 11-12 weeks (assuming regular deadline); what’s 1 extra week of waiting going to do??  I say:  Bring it!  :D 

Just go with the flow and surely this extra week will pass by soon.  Hang in there!

I feel so much empathy for you guys - best of luck to everyone! However, as @ATG4B said, it’s all character building :rolleyes:

One day you’ll all be in med school and have to deal with the frustration of faculty constantly being 1-2 weeks late on sending marks/schedules/updates, but if you’re even an hour late submitting an assignment, you’ll get an email about how timeliness is a ‘professional’ responsibility. The mystery of bureaucracy is unending. 

Thanks for your response, @OwnerOfTheTARDIS, you made me smile. 

I completely agree with @keener12345, I find it exhausting. Hopefully we'll be hearing good things. I definitely understand how tough it is for reapplicants, but for first time applicants, how are we supposed to have any insight into our NAQ? Tough for everyone, Merry Christmas!

What did people do without forums? You wouldn't know anything!

3 hours ago, OwnerOfTheTARDIS said:

One day you’ll all be in med school and have to deal with the frustration of faculty constantly being 1-2 weeks late on sending marks/schedules/updates, but if you’re even an hour late submitting an assignment, you’ll get an email about how timeliness is a ‘professional’ responsibility. The mystery of bureaucracy is unending. 

This.  Perfectly said.  I’ve also heard similar things from other med students :lol:.  But oh well, the system is the way the system is.

3 hours ago, DoctorArts said:

Thanks for your response, @OwnerOfTheTARDIS, you made me smile. 

I completely agree with @keener12345, I find it exhausting. Hopefully we'll be hearing good things. I definitely understand how tough it is for reapplicants, but for first time applicants, how are we supposed to have any insight into our NAQ? Tough for everyone, Merry Christmas!

What did people do without forums? You wouldn't know anything!

You’re absolutely right.  New applicants have a fresh pair of eyes though!  The NAQ can be way higher than you expected ;).  But yeah, I agree that waiting for an important news can be mentally exhausting.  Like I’ve said before though, the best cure for this is to not put med on a pedestal — just go with the flow and see what happens; keep yourself busy with the present and tomorrow will come.

1 minute ago, slslsl said:

Omg I just got instantly nervous when I got that email! At least the wait will be over by next week :) good luck everyone ! 

HR ↑↑↑  haha

16 minutes ago, crazybananas411 said:

Hey everyone, I just have a general question about invites...

Since UBC releases the rejections first, does that mean that if you don't get an email on the Monday you know you got an invite?  Or can they still reject you later in the week?

Honestly, this year has been so different, anything is possible!  But if it is as it usually was, all regrets do come on Monday.  But like I said, no one knows 100%.

16 hours ago, OwnerOfTheTARDIS said:

I want to like this a thousand times.

19 hours ago, OwnerOfTheTARDIS said:

THIS. We just automatically lose 50% if anything is submitted late :rolleyes:

Showing up less than 15 minutes before the start of an exam however (and yes, even 1 second is considered late when they have the world clock projected at the front of the exam room), that's a different story... Have to literally sign a form acknowledging that you showed up late before you're allowed to enter, and then the year director is notified of your "unprofessionalism".

44 minutes ago, xiphoid said:

THIS. We just automatically lose 50% if anything is submitted late :rolleyes:

Showing up less than 15 minutes before the start of an exam however (and yes, even 1 second is considered late when they have the world clock projected at the front of the exam room), that's a different story... Have to literally sign a form acknowledging that you showed up late before you're allowed to enter, and then the year director is notified of your "unprofessionalism".

ha, it is amazing how often unprofessional is confused with being inconvenient. 

Archived