Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites & Regrets (2018/2019) – Dim The Lights And Here We Go

Hello to all my fellow UBC Med applicants of 2018/2019!

As we inch closer and closer to December, I decided to make this thread to just get it out of the way, and also to initiate discussion around how we are all feeling.  As of now, I am not sure exactly when the updates will roll out.  There are two options.  Interview decisions will either be released the week of December 3rd or the week of December 10th.  I'm going 70-30 on week of the 3rd since usually they release decisions the first week of December that involves a Monday.  However, December 3rd may be too early; the admissions committee may want to look at a few things in more detail, finalize decisions, etc. which will require a bit more time – therefore, if it's not the week of the 3rd, it will definitely be the week of the 10th.  Based on the pattern from the last few cycles, this is how I'm guessing decisions will be released:

Week of December 3rd:

Monday, December 3rd – Regrets

Wednesday, December 5th – Early Invites

Thursday, December 6th – Regular Invites

OR

Week of December 10th:

Monday, December 10th – Regrets

Wednesday, December 12th – Early Invites

Thursday, December 13th – Regular Invites

Whether we receive an interview invitation or rejection, I encourage everyone to write a post giving some description on what scores they've received, what sort of extracurricular activities they've completed/are still part of, what sort of achievements/awards/research they've accomplished, and so forth.  This will essentially help yourself reflect on your application and help others down the line, both current and prospective applicants.  At the end of the day, we will all hopefully be colleagues eventually – so, why not start now in helping each other.  Let's stick with the format, described below, as much as possible when we are writing our posts.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

TIME STAMP:
Interview Invite or Regrets:
Early or Regular Deadline:
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): 
Geography (IP/OOP):  

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.):

NAQ:
AQ:

TFR:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So, how's everyone feeling??  :)

I'm nervous about the NAQ drops a bunch of people experienced last cycle!  From what I've heard, lots of people had semi-to-significantly dropped in their NAQ score compared to 2 cycles ago, anywhere between 2-8 points drop in NAQ :o .  Hopefully, things pan out for the better this year.

Basically, it comes down to surviving that awful Monday!  I get plenty of emails throughout the day... Every time I get that email notification sound on my phone, this will be my reaction:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm full on losing my mind. I have oscillated wildly throughout this year from very insecure to very confident and I no longer know what to think. I haven't heard from any verifiers, but I also didn't ask them to let me know if they'd been contacted. I haven't been asked for any backup verifiers, so I have to assume my verification has gone smoothly since there is no reason for me to think I wouldn't get a full file review. 

But basically, just waiting is horrible! And this is the earliest I'm hearing from any school, which seems ridiculous. Hard to believe it's even worse in the States, with the applicants applying over a year before they start. 

Anyhow, let's hope for the best for each other, and that this year is a lighter applicant year in terms of numbers. I'll definitely update when I hear either way (although I will full on cry for hours if I don't get an interview, tbh). 

Anyone want to share where UBC ranks? It's my second choice school, but I am a very weak candidate for U of T, so I still really am hoping for an interview and subsequent acceptance.

21 minutes ago, DoctorArts said:

I have oscillated wildly throughout this year 

I feel ya, it's definitely been a ride. I'm fully expecting a rejection but cannot help but still hold onto a little bit of hope. Getting ready to brace for impact either way. :lol:

Good luck to all who applied this cycle! You're all amazing regardless of what happens in these next couple of weeks. I'm rooting for you guys!! 

3 hours ago, DoctorArts said:

I'm full on losing my mind. I have oscillated wildly throughout this year from very insecure to very confident and I no longer know what to think. I haven't heard from any verifiers, but I also didn't ask them to let me know if they'd been contacted. I haven't been asked for any backup verifiers, so I have to assume my verification has gone smoothly since there is no reason for me to think I wouldn't get a full file review. 

But basically, just waiting is horrible! And this is the earliest I'm hearing from any school, which seems ridiculous. Hard to believe it's even worse in the States, with the applicants applying over a year before they start. 

Anyhow, let's hope for the best for each other, and that this year is a lighter applicant year in terms of numbers. I'll definitely update when I hear either way (although I will full on cry for hours if I don't get an interview, tbh). 

Anyone want to share where UBC ranks? It's my second choice school, but I am a very weak candidate for U of T, so I still really am hoping for an interview and subsequent acceptance.

There's no rankings of Canadian schools. They're all the same. The one that takes you is the best one.

I think you need to reflect why the process is so nerve wracking for you. Medicine isn't going anywhere. Life goes on, keep up with the rest of your life and dont let medicine be the centre of it.

23 hours ago, DoctorArts said:

But basically, just waiting is horrible!

Couldn't agree more!  I've been so impatient lately.  I really just want to know as well.  But at the same time, the NAQ drops last year... not bringing good thoughts to mind haha.

23 hours ago, DoctorArts said:

I agree with @JohnGrisham here.  Ultimately, Canadian medical schools are more or less the same; each has some of its own strengths and downfalls, but they balance out.  UBC is a great school, just like other Canadian medical schools.  Applying to multiple schools is a smart decision though.  When you gain more than 1 offer, it's good to have a choice.  When that time comes, you can think about which school/environment/city suits you best.

1 hour ago, Poloma said:

I'm getting so nervous - especially for Monday. Really hoping I don't open my inbox to regrets.. 

Same!  The process is somewhat nerve wracking haha.  I don't know if I should keep my phone's notifications on or off... decisions decisions :P.  I think I'm nervous partly because I only applied to UBC (even though it's my best chance) – found out about my MCAT eligibility for other schools too late.  But oh well, let's see what happens.  Here's to being optimistic!

By "ranks", I meant for each of you. As in, where does it stand in your personal rankings. I obviously made that very unclear haha. 

Also, @JohnGrisham, I definitely understand what you're saying in terms of not putting your personal value into medicine. That being said, I'm clear on my reasons for being invested in medicine, and I don't think being nervous is unusual or even undesirable at the end of the day.  Uncertainty in life and the inability to plan ahead while mid-cycle is stressful for the majority of candidates. I also find many aspects of the application process questionable or based on assumptions that privilege certain candidates over others. Add on to that the sacrifices made by me as well as the people supporting me, and you have my current state of mind. 

All that said, I know how many others are in the same boat as me, and I wish everyone luck!

Just wanted to say good luck to all of you anxiously awaiting that first week of December! Speaking as someone who received two regrets before being accepted, please be kind to yourselves if you don't receive the email you've been hoping for. It's so easy to dig yourself down into a deep hole of feeling inadequate and that you're not good enough to get in. Be open to honestly assessing the feedback you get from your scores, use it to make yourself better and push yourself forward.

For anyone who receives an invite you're welcome to message me about any interview prep or questions about the general process or about UBC (obviously I cannot tell you what questions were/will be on the interview) :)

Good luck!! 

9 hours ago, kingassault said:

best of luck! what do ya'll think are the odds that there will still be dip in in province applicants compared to two years ago like there was last year due to the restriction of the 2015 MCAT? 

The number of IP applicants decreased by only 6.8% last year, so it's not much.  Also, the MCAT is only one factor among others.  For the sake of argument, if we assume it was only because of the MCAT, the chances of the slight dip happening again because of the MCAT twice in a row will be very small, I think.  Mostly because people would have had 1 whole year to do better on their MCAT exam.  What's really intriguing is why the number of OOP applicants suddenly dropped by ~36% in the 2015/2016 cycle (hadn't noticed that before).  Maybe it had to do with the new curriculum change that took place a year before that?  It's back up to ~700 students now, so I guess it won't matter now.

2 hours ago, slslsl said:

Ugh, I was really hoping they would send them out this week! My anxiety is through the roof!:(

Yeaaah, I totally know how you feel.  I also know that it’s very difficult not to think about it (trust me haha).  I find keeping myself busy with work and other things I do helps a lot.  If you also keep yourself occupied, time will pass quickly!

We should try to enjoy this time right now — next Monday (or the Monday after that)... THAT is when anxiety level will blow up :lol:

Archived