Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites & Regrets (2018/2019) – Dim The Lights And Here We Go

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear brethren and sistren,

D-Day has arrived!  Just remember to breathe and have faith in your application. If you haven’t taken a look at the interim stats, here they are:  https://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/files/2018/12/Interim-Statistics-2018-19-MED-2023.pdf .  Most amount of invited applicants since last 4 cycles!

And like I said a few weeks ago, DIM THE LIGHTS AND HERE WE GOOOO!

Let’s virtually hold each others’ hands lol.

2A0F4610-A465-4DB9-95C2-A439F28420C4.jpeg

4 minutes ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

Regrets, NAQ dropped over 15 points despite adding new activities. After two years of interviews, a regrets. Not really sure what I'm going to do now. Still waiting to hear from OMSAS schools at least but not sure about this anymore. What the hell.

I’m so sorry to hear that. Keep up hope!

5 application cycles with 1 interview in the 2016/2017 cycle

TIME STAMP: 5:38 PST
Interview Invite or Regrets: Regrets
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular 
AGPA (if applicable): 85.24
MCAT: 125/127/127/130  509
ECs: Volunteer riding lessons since middle school, competed regionally in riding for years, co-chair on a regional science fair committee for 3 years with 3 years previous judging experience, spent 3 weeks in Africa working on an orphanage, 5 weeks in Ecuador doing medical rotations/building low income housing, 200+ hours job shadowing in a hospital, Relay for Life, sell artwork for fundraising, tons of travelling, tutoring in high school. I currently work in a vet clinic which gives me tons of hands on experience and observing procedures.
Current Degree: BSc in BCMB, currently a 1st/2nd year nursing student
Geography: IP
NAQ:  33.90/26.40/23.98
AQ: 21.94/21.27/22.77

TFR: 55.84/47.67/46.75

Feeling disheartened by the decrease in my scores again, but I'll keep chugging along. For anyone who got regrets and isn't sure what to do next, I'm currently in nursing and loving it. The dream is still doctor but at least this way I'm getting invaluable experience that will only help me when I finally do get in!

I thought I should register an account and post this after reading helpful comments/posts from past yrs threads 

TIME STAMP: 5:33pm
Interview Invite or Regrets: Regret
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): ~86 (US undergrad, UG gpa was 3.88 ), when I calculated it myself I got ~88% wondering if a course I took at UBC in gr 12 was factored into this.. got a C in that class, didn't think it would come back to haunt me for med skl apps, oops >_< 
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 517
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): Bachelors in science
Geography (IP/OOP):  OOP (:( lived in Van for 5 yrs but no longer consider resident...)

Extracurricular : consistent clinical volunteer experience, community service and research (no pub tho) since freshman, some leadership

NAQ: 27

AQ: 24.5

TFR: 51.5

Was somewhat expecting this but still kind of sad :(( good luck to everyone else!!

TIME STAMP: 5:50pm
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 87.48
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 511
Geography (IP/OOP): IP

ECs: Mix of Research (Co-op, no pubs), typical volunteering & club stuff, part-time job

NAQ: 24.37

AQ: 26.44

TFR: 50.81

NAQ went down ~4 points compared to last year, interviewed last year. I know there's no guarantees but pretty choked right now and I have a final to write tomorrow. I guess I'll hold out hope for OMSAS. 

TIME STAMP: 8:37 p.m. EST
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 89.47% oGPA
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 132/130/132/130 - 524
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): UG - 4th year
Geography (IP/OOP):  OOP

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.):

Mostly high-school award (humanitarian, model UN), entrance scholarships; Soccer player for 7+ years: tournaments, varsity, coaching, and intramurals now; volunteering with refugee youth for 4 years in high school, volunteer at a cardiologist office for 3+ years, hospital for a couple years, shadowing oncologist in Arizona for a few weeks; Employment - summer research position with abstract and poster presentation (not allowed to put in "research section"); Research - nothing first author, some oncology presentations, genetics lab, and now ongoing thesis.

NAQ: 31.48
AQ: 29.68

TFR: 61.16 (missed the OOP cutoff by 0.7 points or so - rough) 

Overall nice to know I was that close, keep your heads up guys, it will all work out in the end :)

TIME STAMP:  5 mins past FML o’clock
Interview Invite or Regrets: Regrets
Early or Regular Deadline: Reg
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 81.3
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 514 (129/127/130/128)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): MSc Yr 2
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research,)

Volunteer in emergency services, sports coach, leadership roles, played lots of sports, a few hobbies, typical grad work in lab and teaching, and a few others. Volunteer hours exceeded 6,000.  Work hours over 30/week  

NAQ: 35 and change
AQ: paltry 

TFR:51.48

at least I have two conferences, three primaries, and two thirds I can add for next year? 

On 11/23/2018 at 12:44 PM, Neurophiliac said:

Hello to all my fellow UBC Med applicants of 2018/2019!

As we inch closer and closer to December, I decided to make this thread to just get it out of the way, and also to initiate discussion around how we are all feeling.  As of now, I am not sure exactly when the updates will roll out.  There are two options.  Interview decisions will either be released the week of December 3rd or the week of December 10th.  I'm going 70-30 on week of the 3rd since usually they release decisions the first week of December that involves a Monday.  However, December 3rd may be too early; the admissions committee may want to look at a few things in more detail, finalize decisions, etc. which will require a bit more time – therefore, if it's not the week of the 3rd, it will definitely be the week of the 10th.  Based on the pattern from the last few cycles, this is how I'm guessing decisions will be released:

Week of December 3rd:

Monday, December 3rd – Regrets

Wednesday, December 5th – Early Invites

Thursday, December 6th – Regular Invites

OR

Week of December 10th:

Monday, December 10th – Regrets

Wednesday, December 12th – Early Invites

Thursday, December 13th – Regular Invites

Whether we receive an interview invitation or rejection, I encourage everyone to write a post giving some description on what scores they've received, what sort of extracurricular activities they've completed/are still part of, what sort of achievements/awards/research they've accomplished, and so forth.  This will essentially help yourself reflect on your application and help others down the line, both current and prospective applicants.  At the end of the day, we will all hopefully be colleagues eventually – so, why not start now in helping each other.  Let's stick with the format, described below, as much as possible when we are writing our posts.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

TIME STAMP:
Interview Invite or Regrets:
Early or Regular Deadline:
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): 
Geography (IP/OOP):  

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.):

NAQ:
AQ:

TFR:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So, how's everyone feeling??  :)

I'm nervous about the NAQ drops a bunch of people experienced last cycle!  From what I've heard, lots of people had semi-to-significantly dropped in their NAQ score compared to 2 cycles ago, anywhere between 2-8 points drop in NAQ :o .  Hopefully, things pan out for the better this year.

Basically, it comes down to surviving that awful Monday!  I get plenty of emails throughout the day... Every time I get that email notification sound on my phone, this will be my reaction:

Hey Neurophiliac! You have Monday labelled as Regrets. Is Monday the only day regrets are sent out? Or can you get rejected on Wednesday or Thursday (or any day of the week)? Thanks!! 

3 minutes ago, Fiercecomp said:

TIME STAMP:  5 mins past FML o’clock
Interview Invite or Regrets: Regrets
Early or Regular Deadline: Reg
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 81.3
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 514 (129/127/130/128)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): MSc Yr 2
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research,)

Volunteer in emergency services, sports coach, leadership roles, played lots of sports, a few hobbies, typical grad work in lab and teaching, and a few others. Volunteer hours exceeded 6,000.  Work hours over 30/week  

NAQ: 35 and change
AQ: paltry 

TFR:51.48

at least I have two conferences, three primaries, and two thirds I can add for next year? 

I thought 51.12/100 was the TFR cuttoff for IP?

TIME STAMP: 5:26PM
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): OGPA 79.3 [lol]
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 505 (126/127/125/127)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): UG 4th Year
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP

EC's: awards from HS, 4 clubs, some small initiatives, hobbies, research (no pubs), part-time job

NAQ: 27
AQ: 13.07

TFR: 40.06

Can't wait to be eligible for AGPA and drop my horrendous first year credits..

Good luck to everybody here. You can do it!

TIME STAMP: 8:27 pm EST
Interview Invite or Regrets: Regrets, No Interview
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
GPA or AGPA (if applicable):  87.15 AGPA
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 503
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): Honours Bsc.
Geography (IP/OOP):  OOP

I'm in my mid 20s, so I've had time to accumulate many interesting experiences. I've worked at least 20-30 hours per week the majority of the time I did my undergrad, and have worked 2-3 jobs while volunteering at 1-2 places simultaneously for the last 2.5 years. I currently work three jobs. Store manager of a popular retail store for 2.5 years with sales of 2.5 million per year where I managed a team of 20-30 people. Restaurant and retail work with a lot of managing experience. Crisis line responder for 2.5 years. Two poster presentations, a published abstract, a research grant of $1000. Food advocate, a student coordinator of a food lab, student leader in a multi-stakeholder food policy group that advocated for a food policy on my campus, panelist at a conference speaking about my experiences in food advocacy and student led initiatives. Science and math tutor for the last 3.5 years (still tutoring). A few awards and scholarships. Volunteered in a hospital, and I now work for the hospital where I play a small role in the health care team, but work directly with nurses, and spend 100% of my shift interacting one-on-one with complex continuing care patients. I put personal details and experiences from my life in the diversity of experiences section that I felt were important in shaping who I am as a person. I was a delegate at an international youth summit of youth leaders from about 100 countries. I worked as a research assistant for the federal government for 2 years while I was a student, and have now begun a three year term with them (this wasn't on my application because I started in September). 

My first time applying, and I still need to hear from a few Ontario schools.

NAQ: 34.09
AQ: 25.90

TFR: 59.99

Archived