Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites & Regrets (2018/2019) – Dim The Lights And Here We Go

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhh! How bitter-sweet to join with those celebrating invites today. Yesterday's posts about rejections really hung over my head since the 5pm hour.. I hurt alongside each one of your regrets, especially re-applicants. My fourth round of applying, 2 pre-interview regrets and now 2 interviews. Here's hoping the premed life is coming to a close for many of us.

TIME STAMP: 10:38am PST
Interview Invite or Regrets: Invite
Early or Regular Deadline: Early
GPA or AGPA (if applicable):  ~85.50%
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 512
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc hons (2016), MSc (2018)
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Long-time jobs, TAships, handful of scholarships, church, living abroad, UG & grad research stuff/conferences, couple papers on the way, shelters, vulnerable folk, and (not to undersell) I have to tell you my NAQ really skyrocketed after adding random stuff like my experience with a serious illness, living with disabled family member, music, literally stuff like roadbiking (self-care!).. I think they mean what they say when they talk about a "holistic" approach to file reviews. 

Like a few others on here, I'm getting on in years as well and obviously the stats show I'm just an "average" candidate in the pool. Truthfully there have been far, far more dark and hopeless days than positive ones but in the end its the intrinsic motivation that keeps me in the game. Remember that in 10 years nobody's going to ask how many tries it took - and you'll likely revere the profession all the more because of it.

Cheers to my fellow interviewees! All the best in Feb!

47 minutes ago, cool.guy.buddy.pal said:

I’m wondering the same thing :/

Me too... it’s so daunting to see all these early birds getting invites and just knowing that you’re gunna hear back in less than 24 hrs. 

I haven’t heard any regrets being sent out today. I think they all went out yesterday around 515 to 5:30 PM Pacific standard time

TIME STAMP: 10:09 PST
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): about 85%; converted badly from my school but c'est la vie :wacko:
MCAT: 509
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD):  BHSc, Hon., Third year, Biomedical Sciences
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Nothing overly special? Worked in a lab for last summer (1 pub, 2 presentations (2nd author) but both after June 1st), Co-led a volunteer trip to work with Indigenous communities in the Yukon, worked at a program promoting post-secondary edu to Indigenous youth, campus tour guide, vice president and later president of two different clubs, then I put in some hobbies and other personal life events (DM for details). 

Honestly still in shock about this, especially after hearing so many more qualified people receiving regrets. It's truly UBC's loss, and I wish you all the best next year/at other schools. 

Good luck everyone <3

TIME STAMP: 1:06PM (EST) - MD Interview ; 1:34PM EST - PhD Interview 
Interview Invite or Regrets: Invite (PhD - Friday ; MD - Saturday) 
GPA or AGPA (if applicable):  Unavailable (OMSAS of 3.95) 
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 515 ; 127/127/130/131
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc hons (2014), MSc (2016), Cert. Cul. Arts (2017) ; Working research professional since Fall 2017 
Geography (IP/OOP):  OOP

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): I am unaware of my NAQ score.  It was not provided to me following an interview invitation. For more details on EC's, etc feel free to PM! In general, my CV has been research focused. However, I've made sure to take the time to pursue my passions (culinary arts, wood crafting, metal working). 

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the interview! 

TIME STAMP: 11:05 AM PST
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): about 91%
MCAT: 516 ; 130/128/129/129
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc APBI 2017

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): This is my first application to med school ever so I'm really excited to see I'm on the right track! I'm a non trad applicant for sure: transfer student, took a full year for coop, and took another year off after graduation (during which I wrote my MCAT and applied to UBC Med). I added some minor awards from highschool and a few little achievements at UBC. I was worried about my NAQ because I haven't done much volunteering since highschool and have no research publications, but I think my employment history and AQ made up for that. I really emphasized my work history both full and part-time in management, customer service, veterinary, clinical research. I was hesitant to emphasize my hobbies/stress relief activities (music, singing, improv, skiing), and my highschool achievements (student council pres, valedictorian) thinking it might all come across as "filler," but I'm really glad I did! I even mentioned my experiences coming out. It seems to me that this year they're looking for regular people with signs of maturity and compassion that extend even into highschool. I think they are looking for people with demonstrated ability to communicate with others and manage stress. Also, I was VERY direct in my application; I avoided frilly sentences as much as possible and used all the space I could to explain my roles objectively. 

I think the best take away for me is that you shouldn't leave ANYTHING out of your application, no matter how insignificant or unrelated you think it is.

TIME STAMP: 11:09am PST
MCAT: (131/128/128/127) 514
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): completed B.Sc. in May

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): 2 publications, research award, clinical experience, athlete, volunteering at several locations for years

TIME STAMP: 11:05 a.m. PST
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 8.99 GPA, A+ Average (Converts to approx. 95%)
MCAT: 125/130/127/128   510
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BBA, Accounting Major

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): 

Items include: Parent of a 9-year-old. Over a dozen awards, including National and Provincial recognitions. Toastmasters (mentor, member, executive), Business club executive, Rotary service club member, volunteer Art gallery board of director (pres), volunteer music festival coordinator, Art and music activities  (including singing and performing for years and creating and donating art). Organising of local fundraisers for art community. Teaching kids art camps. Outdoor and fitness (inc. avid cyclist, archery, yoga, hiking, football). Conferences. Coaching. Speech and business competitions.... 

Work experience listed varies from co-op work with the Department of National Defense and BC Gov't, to full-time work as a cabinetmaker and in the film industry. 

Clearly I'm a non-traditional applicant. :)  

TIME STAMP: 11:05am PST
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): UG GPA was 3.4ish, 3.5 at best (77-80%) even, 
MCAT: 507
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): B.Sc., B. Ed.

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Teacher, lots of volunteering in leadership positions- soup kitchen, hospital, clubs during undergrad, talked about a few activities i do for self-care (writing, fitness etc), talking care of grandma etc., travelling

I applied in the 2014/2015 cycle and had about 40 TFR  i believe. Focused on a different career in the meantime as I needed a break from school. Have been very content with my life but working with the demographic I work with, I've realized that I want to work with this demographic from a medical perspective as there is very little teachers can do when the students aren't receiving proper medical care. I poured out my heart and soul into the application and feeling so thankful to have received this opportunity!  

Wooooo!

TIME STAMP: 11:06
Interview Invite or Regrets: Invite
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): ~90
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 513. 128/130/126/129
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD):  B.Sc 
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.):

Verrrrrrry non-traditional...2x Olympian, older applicant, lots of part-time years in my under grad. Full-ride academic scholarship for my undergrad, two 2nd author publications, leadership roles in international sport organizations, lots of volunteer hours for a few charities (helps to be old! Lots of time to do things!), a lot of diverse life and health experiences. I haven’t done any of the traditional ECs like hospital volunteering, working with seniors, club presidents, lab work. That might have set my application apart but I also feel like I need to add those things in this year, if I need to reapply. 

8 minutes ago, Opichi said:

GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 8.99 GPA, A+ Average (Converts to approx. 95%)
MCAT: 125/130/127/128   510
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BBA, Accounting Major

Items include: Parent of a 9-year-old. Over a dozen awards, including National and Provincial recognitions. Toastmasters (mentor, member, executive), Business club executive, Rotary service club member, volunteer Art gallery board of director (pres), volunteer music festival coordinator, Art and music activities  (including singing and performing for years and creating and donating art). Organising of local fundraisers for art community. Teaching kids art camps. Outdoor and fitness (inc. avid cyclist, archery, yoga, hiking, football). Conferences. Coaching. Speech and business competitions.... 

Work experience listed varies from co-op work with the Department of National Defense and BC Gov't, to full-time work as a cabinetmaker and in the film industry. 

Clearly I'm a non-traditional applicant. :)  

Yessss!!! Cheers to all the non-traditional applicants! 

TIME STAMP: 11:05AM PST
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 83-ish%
MCAT: (131/131/130/130) 522
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BA complete, two years of BSc second degree

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): As an older applicant, I have done a lot. I have been working since I was 15 in really diverse areas from Tim Hortons to Operations (Administration) Manager for a small startup. I also did a lot in theatre and the arts and then some lab volunteering and hospital volunteering for good measure. Also put in yoga, dance, and lived experiences of adversity in my application. 

Really excited for my interview, and excited to meet all of you at some point! I've put off coming to the MMI practice group until now because I didn't want to jinx myself haha

TIME STAMP: 11:35AM PST
Interview Invite or Regrets: Interview Invite
GPA or AGPA (if applicable):  83.2%
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 516 (130/126/130/130)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): Completed Bachelor and Diploma in Medical Laboratory Science
Geography (IP/OOP): IP

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): 7 years volunteering with a youth leadership program (summer camp gigs, community band, various leadership and training roles), 1 year of  hospital volunteering (ED and home visitation), 1 year of crisis center volunteering, 1 year of research (no pubs yet), 1 year of working in hospital lab (transfusion medicine, phlebotomy, practicum preceptor). I've listed hobbies such as weight training, snowboarding, music. 

This is my 2nd time applying since the 2013/2014 cycle where I wasn't able to put my best foot forward. Feels surreal to have made it this far! Good luck to the rest of you!

GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 85%
MCAT: 128/126/129/130   513
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc, Molecular Biology and Biochemistry

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): NSERC research award, no publications, a few very odd jobs (including a clean up of the fire damage in Fort Mcmurray after the city burned down a few years ago), had my own small business for a few years, volunteering at a MD clinic and a physio clinic and a clinic in a foreign country. Also volunteered at Big brother, went backpacking in Japan, restored my own classic car, coached a few students badminton, tutored ESL university students, volunteered at a elderly care center and the Mustard seed. Various other volunteering positions and hobbies. Included a car accident I was involved with which had a big impact on me.

I'm very grateful to be given this opportunity again. This is my 4th application. First application was a joke and I just wanted to see the process (26 NAQ). My first serious application landed me a interview and I took it for granted (32 NAQ). I thought to myself, even If I don't get in this year, I will probably get the interview again next year. I didn't because my NAQ tanked last year (27 NAQ), they told me they couldn't reach one or more of my verifiers and although I updated them I am not sure if they were ever contacted. This was by far my best application but I had literally no idea whether or not I would get this interview. Monday was brutal. Good luck to everyone attending the interview and also those who didn't get one for next year.

TIME STAMP: 11:05AM PST
Interview Invite or Regrets: Interview Invite
GPA or AGPA (if applicable):  90-91%
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 515 (130/126/130/129)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): Completed Bachelors this past April

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Research experience, a lot of hospital volunteering, coaching sports, TAing and tutoring, sports, music, other hobbies, shadowing physicians, tons of leadership positions in clubs, and some other work and volunteer experience... This is a basic overview..PM if you want to know details.

TIME STAMP: 2:06PM EST
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 92.5%
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 514
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc completed in April
Geography (IP/OOP): OOP

Extracurricular Activities: lots of research experience, TAing and tutoring, shadowed physicians, executive roles in clubs, spent tons of time with vulnerable populations, hobbies - dance & sports, personal life-changing experiences etc...PM for more details. 

TIME STAMP:  11:06 AM PST
Interview Invite or Regrets:  Interview Invite
Early or Regular Deadline:  Regular Deadline
GPA or AGPA (if applicable):  ~84%
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB):  514 – (130 / 125 / 130 / 129)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD):  BSc in 2014
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP

Founded and lead a non-profit organization dedicated to raising funds for variety of causes via annual musical concerts, with the last 2 events focused on contributing to schizophrenia (5 years and counting); founded and led another charity aiding developing nations via Save the Children fund (6 years); extensive leadership and volunteering with UBC Department of Physics and Astronomy (8.5 years and counting); long-term ER volunteer and volunteer trainer and program coordinator (8.5 years and counting); long-term St. John Ambulance volunteer and Divisional Administration Officer (2000+ hours over 5 years, and counting); independently provide guidance and support to immigrants and families as they adjust to life in Vancouver/Canada (9+ years and counting); lots and lots of capacity to work with others including skin cancer research/holding workshops for high school students across Metro Vancouver, volunteering with med students and residents via UBC Department of Emergency Medicine, working closely with refugees and youth with physical and/or intellectual disabilities, and more (combined 3300+ hours); and lots and lots of diversity including clinical research as a volunteer, shadowing pediatric surgeons, toxicology research as a volunteer, epigenomics research at Michael Smith Labs, loads of piano and competitions, oil painting, and more.  I also work 3 jobs right now, 1 full-time and 2 part-time jobs; full-time is being a research assistant at UBCH working on a project focused on treatment-refractory schizophrenia (over 2 years); part-time jobs include tutoring students in grade 4-12 in math and academic reading with a company, and also tutoring for the MCAT with a company.  1 Publication (1st author) on the application (had a poster publication/presentation on June 7th haha, and a few are expected to come during this summer).  Lots of awards (mainly from high school) and one high performance activity for winning multiple awards with St. John Ambulance.

As you guys can tell, I put a lot of details above, primarily to help current applicants who unfortunately didn’t hear good news and also prospective applicants.  I will be writing a huge post to share my own personal story and to give a few tips on how to improve NAQ on the application, all intended to encourage those who have not received an invitation.  You are all qualified, brilliant, hardworking, and dedicated individuals.  Some of you I know very well, and others I do follow.  You all have unique characteristics that are deeply appreciated and sincerely needed in medicine.  It’s heartbreaking when some people dwell on thoughts of giving up on medicine when it’s been a dream for so long...  I want you to know that I do empathize with you all, but just in a different context as I’ve had my own personal challenges.  I have no right to tell you “don’t be sad” or “just pick yourself up and try again” because it’s unbelievable how much more difficult it is to do it than to say it; believe me, I know this.  But, all I do ask is to please try.  I’m hoping my story can be your motivation, your inspiration, your encouragement to try just once more. 

If anyone has any questions at all and would like to chat more privately, don’t hesitate to PM me.  I’m always here to listen.

To those who have received invites, never take it for granted and always be grateful for what you have; lessons I’ve learned one of the hardest ways possible.  Of course, huge congratulations to all of you lovely folks – I cannot wait to meet each and every one of you :)

TIME STAMP: 11:05 AM PST
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): ~87
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 517 (129/127/131/130)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc completed in May

Extracurricular Activities: Some research (data entry, eye tracking with FASD kids, no pubs), medical first responder + public relations team, hospital volunteering, mentor for elementary school kids, made breakfast for kids, solved academic grievances, some retail jobs, orientation leader, many years as a homestay family/English tutor, terminally sick family member. Honestly not as impressive as everyone else who received an interview, I was not expecting an interview invite at all because I didn't really have faith in my NAQ score. 

Archived