Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites & Regrets (2018/2019) – Dim The Lights And Here We Go

TIME STAMP: 2:06 PM PST
Interview Invite or Regrets: Invite
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 89
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc (2017), Currently MSc (2019) 
Geography (IP/OOP): OOP 

Extracurricular Activities: A combination of research publications/presentations, community-based volunteering, clubs, employment, and hobbies with long-term commitments. 

Beyond excited :) I was not expecting an interview at all!!! I wish they told us our stats... would love to know my TFR score. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TIME STAMP: 11:05 AM PST
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 89-90%
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 506
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc 
Geography (IP/OOP): IP

Extracurricular Activities: Varied; sports, breakfast club volunteer, high level soccer player, coaching soccer and basketball, humanitarian trips to Africa and Mexico, hospital volunteer, Canucks Autism Network volunteer, employment since I was 13, backpacking around Asia, and a bunch of random and varied hobbies. 

First application cycle so I am super excited to get an interview. Good luck to everyone in their prep!

TIME STAMP: 11:06 AM PST
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 89-90% 
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 514 
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc completed in 2018 

Extracurricular Activities: Lots. Regular hospital volunteer, active at UBC clubs, worked with refugees, long-time research, multiple conferences, sports. 

Excited to prepare for the interview. I can empathize with the people who did not hear the news that they wanted this week. keep working hard, and never lose hope in your dreams. 

So excited and grateful to be posting here!!

TIME STAMP: 11:05AM PST
GPA or AGPA (if applicable):  ~83%
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 512 (127/127/126/132)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc. hons (2011)
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): I co-own a business I started in 2015, Community Captain for a retail store I worked for, spent one year at a Teacher Training Program for ballet, lots of high level dance, Human Anatomy Lab TA while an undergraduate student, Peer Counselor, Doctor's Assistant at a sexual health clinic, included information about taking care of family members with health and mental health issues, Baking Blogger, Food Photographer, Travel, Volunteer Psychology research subject while doing my undergrad, some awards in high school and university, and lots of leadership positions for work. Definitely non-traditional! 

Looking forward to meeting everyone in a couple of months!

Interview Invite or Regrets: Regrets
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 85%
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 510
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): NSERC, scholarships, hospital volunteering, care home volunteering, religious organization volunteering, music, sports, psych lab research, 1 publication, odd summer jobs. PM for more details.

NAQ: 28.45
AQ: 22.64

TFR: 51.09

Second time applying. Kind of sucks that I got so close to an interview this time, but it’s nice to know I’m close. I’ll be rewriting my MCAT and applying to US schools as well next cycle. Good luck to everyone with interviews! 

TIME STAMP: 5:27pm PST
Interview Invite or Regrets: Regrets, No Interview
Early or Regular Deadline: Early
GPA or AGPA (if applicable):  90.27
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 516 (126/129/129/132)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc, Honours, 4th year

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): minor GPA-based scholarships, NSERC grant for a position in medical research, paid summer position in clinical psychiatric research,  paid part-time position in medical clinic, 2 conference poster presentations, 3 long-term volunteer commitments including an executive role in a club (2 of the 3 commitments working with individuals with disabilities, 1 commitment teaching science workshops to school-aged kids), paid position working with adults with disabilities. 

NAQ: 16.50
AQ: 30.99

TFR: 47.49

Really disappointed by how low my NAQ score was - I was pretty shocked to see how far off from the cut off I was :( Looks like I'm going to have to work a lot harder to get my scores up for next year! 

Congratulations to everyone granted an interview, best of luck to you all! 

GPA or AGPA (if applicable):  ~92.5%
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 519 (130/127/130/132)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): 3rd Year BSc

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Will update after final exams are over.

Estimated NAQ: >16.5
Estimated AQ: ~34.5 (Based on AQ equation)

TFR: >51.12

First-time applicant. I am excited to meet some of you soon! :D:D:D

TIME STAMP: 11:05
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
GPA or AGPA (if applicable):  4.31/4.33, somewhere around 93-95%
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 523 (132/131/130/130)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc, 4th year

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.):  long term hospital volunteer (now in supervisory position), lots of theatre and music competitions/RCM exams as well as running local festivals/volunteering to teach students in these areas, part of community orchestra for several years, homeless shelter volunteer, lots of different employment. will keep details to a minimum as I want to remain anonymous but feel free to PM me if you're curious!

GPA or AGPA (if applicable):  91-92%
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): above cutoffs 
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): Masters
Geography (IP/OOP):  OOP

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Generic 

GPA or AGPA (if applicable):  86-87%
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 510 (130/124/130/126)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): Graduated Masters
Geography (IP/OOP):  OOP

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Research: 1 first author publication, 1 second author publication, 2 first author oral presentations at international conferences. Awards: Couple of Dean's Honour List, graduation with distinction, entrance scholarship, graduate studies award, had my second author publication featured in the American Heart Association newsletter. NAQ: Several hundred hours of peer mentoring at the high school and university level, several hundred hours designing deep learning algorithms to classify genetic mutations as being harmful or not, couple thousand hours spent working on kaggle data science competitions, volunteer at cancer centre and physiotherapy clinic (both these were <100 hours), summer of volunteer internship at advertising agency working on campaign for Nissan Rogue vehicle, several thousand hours of recreational and competitive archery. Employment: TA for 2 undergraduate courses, high school science tutor for ~3 years, currently member of a clinical genetics team that works on discovering potential mutations in patients with a suspected genetic cause of disease, several of my early summers spent working as a steel draftsman which involved 3D-modeling and learning some engineering principles, several other publications and conference presentations that I was author on (just not first or second, so I didn't put it in research section as per the help guide).

First time applicant! I am grateful to have reached this point! 

TIME STAMP: 11:06AM PST
GPA or AGPA (if applicable):  ~86-87% (could be higher depending on if they included some part-time coursework post degree and how they may have worked AGPA)
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 510
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc. hons, MSc 

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): 10 000+ hours working in social services and then a health profession with people from variety of backgrounds and abilities. Involvement in a few clubs and short term volunteer projects over the years. Lots of community based activities and outdoor hobbies. Some awards in high school and university. Rural and northern applicant, non-trad! 

TIME STAMP : 11:05 
Interview Invite or Regrets: Invite 
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular 
GPA or AGPA (i f applicable): 87
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 509 
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): Honours Bsc. (2018) 
Geography (IP/OOP): IP 

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.):  

I’m a completely non-trad applicant. I received several national scholarships out of high school, but had to postpone studies for many years due to a family illness. During that time I was a manager in the banking industry - people & project management - as well as a credit analyst. Medical volunteering (hospice, palliative) for 18yrs. Extended research project at BC Cancer Agency. Co-op and 2 NSERC’s. Project manager on a NCI funded project (pediatric cancer); attended AACR conference. Patient advocacy on a variety of provincial health steering committees and projects (mental health, privacy, MAiD). Guest lecturer and speaker at several health conferences. Trained chef, full-time volunteer cook in a homeless shelter for 6 months. Peer health counsellor, board member on national health foundation, studied opera for past 17yrs (some local competitions). I speak 3 languages and have travelled to 35+ countries. I also included my experience coming-out and caring for an ill family member. 

TIME STAMP: 11:06AM PST
GPA or AGPA (if applicable):  86.8
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 514 (129, 126, 129, 130)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): Bachelor's

2016-2017: ~1.5-2 points away

2017-2018: ~0.5 points away

This year, I added a lot of 'unstructured community involvement' that I hadn't described in my 2 previous (and rejected) applications. Some of these include: Caring for my partner, event planning (for family and friends), Driving people home, and being a dedicated listener for 2 of my close friends. 

I wanted to illustrate who I am outside of formal institutions and clubs. I wanted to show what I do when I am not 'volunteering'. 

Feel free to message me <3

GPA or AGPA (if applicable):  ~93-94 (aGPA)
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 526 (132, 130, 132, 132)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): Bachelor's

2017-2018: Rejected post interview, TFR ~57

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.):

Fair amount of research but no publications, Honour's project, several GPA and research based awards, 3 years work in HS/early uni customer service, co-op at a pharmaceutical company, currently employed full time in a lab

>750 total hours volunteering in a hospital in several positions for 3 years, several other short term volunteering commitments ranging from 50 - 100 hours, president of a club with >200 hours, also included lots of random things like travel, art-related stuff, sports in the Diversity section which may have helped out

Last year I went into the interview with little preparation and didn't take it as seriously as I should have. I'm looking forward to trying again with more knowledge, practice, and a better attitude!

Late post, but thought I would in case it helps anyone. 

Interview Invite or Regrets: Regrets
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 84 - 85%
MCAT: 511
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): 
MSc complete

Extracurricular Activities:

Pretty diverse. Five long-term commitments, both past and present (200+ hours) in research, community service, school club. Numerous shorter term commitments (<100 hours) in various capacities. Music, proficient in a couple languages, one travel experience, a couple unstructured activities like hobbies but not much. Non-trad applicant so quite a few jobs, including career jobs in my field of study. No high performance or major awards, but all other categories were filled. Last application got me an interview and waitlisted, I'm sure largely due to my NAQ. Saw a pretty big drop this time despite adding hours and new activities. Made a major effort to write clearly and solely focus on what I did, rather than what I learned. Likely my last application after four cycles, but who knows!

congrats to those who got invited! 

TIME STAMP: December 12 (2:05 EST)
Interview Invite or Regrets: Interview invite
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 92.3%
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 516 
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): UG 
Geography (IP/OOP):  OOP

Unique & long-term

It’s a huge relief to get an interview so early in the cycle. Everyone hang in there. One interview invite is all you need! 

1 hour ago, Potentiate said:

TIME STAMP: December 12 (2:05 EST)
Interview Invite or Regrets: Interview invite
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 92.3%
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 516 
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): UG 
Geography (IP/OOP):  OOP

Unique & long-term

It’s a huge relief to get an interview so early in the cycle. Everyone hang in there. One interview invite is all you need! 

TIME STAMP:
Interview Invite or Regrets: Invite
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 92.8%, or 93.4% if they removed my lowest year
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 521 (131/127/131/132)  [I received 507 the first time I wrote it]
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): 4th year biomed UG
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): won a big essay contest, recreational piano and sports, black belt, north american karate champion, 250h volunteering with individuals with intellectual disabilities, 200h hospital emerg volunteering, NSERC-USRA, 2 yrs medical receptionist, lots of science-related or student-mentor kind of jobs, one 2nd author manuscript not yet published, overall lots of diverse, unique and random ECs

I am bit a late on this, but here we go... This is my 4th time applying, second time interviewing at UBC. I am posting this in case it helps anyone. 

TIME STAMP: Dec 11 (Tuesday) 10:38am
Early or Regular Deadline: Early
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): Completed Master's
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): VERY non-trad: years of employment unrelated to medicine, worked in research for the past few years, a few publications and presentations, some volunteering. 

Congrats to those who got an interview, but I especially feel for those who didn't , especially those of you who were interviewed (and even waitlisted!) in the past couple years but got regrets this year. I truly empathize with you, and I hope this setback doesn't discourage you from continuing to apply. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Congrats to those who received an interview and to those who didn't keep your head up and keep at it! Your time is near!

Also, if you are interested in getting some advice on how to prep for the MMI interview/would like to arrange to do some mock interviews, shoot your boi a message :D 

• 2 weeks later...

super super late but very grateful and excited as an OOP applicant

TIME STAMP: Dec 12 - 2:05 EST
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 90-91%
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB):  128/128/129/130
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD):  4th year UG
Geography (IP/OOP):  OOP

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): a few leadership positions in clubs/community org, a number of  hospital/clinical based volunteering positions (most long-term), many experiences geared toward one population, some research (no pubs, posters, or conferences), long-term employment (fairly unique), also wrote about some hobbies I have. PM for details - I don't think my ECs are amazing so I'm sure the wording helped a lot! 

Archived