Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2019 Interview -- DISCUSSIONS

medafter30

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, medafter30 said:

Just out of curiosity the reference letter deadline is tomorrow Nov 27, so i am just a bit confused of a few invites that already went out

Thank you

This means that these programs send out invites without reviewing the Reference Letters. They may or may not use the reference letters when ranking applicants. 

15 hours ago, beeboop said:

bless memorial psych for sending invites last week haha- does that mean they interview everybody?

They might be interviewing everyone, but not necessarily. It's a black box what they are using but between MSPRs, personal letters, CVs, records of electives etc. they have lots of potential information they could use. :)

36 minutes ago, 2019CaRMS said:

Any idea if Calgary Gen Path sent out all their invites? I did a few weeks of electives there and was offered LORs by two of their staff and I haven't heard anything back

I did get an invite to Calgary GP on Nov 22 as well... Only did an AP elective there. Very strange. You're a CMG? 

9 minutes ago, 2019CaRMS said:

I'm a CMG, however I was unmatched last year (plastic surgery didn't pan out). Had a month of pathology electives at UofC over the last year

Hmm I see, seems odd that they wouldn't give you an interview if you've shown face and have letters given how traditionally non competitive GP is. Maybe it's just that they wait for LORs to come in after Nov 27 to review them before offering interviews to previous year grads. Hope it works out for you. 

50 minutes ago, 2019CaRMS said:

I'm a CMG, however I was unmatched last year (plastic surgery didn't pan out). Had a month of pathology electives at UofC over the last year

Based on experience, not all invites are sent at the same time. From what I understood, some favorite applicants get invited very early on and if they are members on this forum they will just post it and that might give the impression that all invitations are sent out already, but that is not necessarily true. I had an interview invitation weeks after someone posted here that he/she was invited.

40 minutes ago, TheGansuBrave said:

Based on experience, not all invites are sent at the same time. From what I understood, some favorite applicants get invited very early on and if they are members on this forum they will just post it and that might give the impression that all invitations are sent out already, but that is not necessarily true. I had an interview invitation weeks after someone posted here that he/she was invited.

I agree. I've received interview invites days or even a week later than when initially posted in the forum's. Don't let it get to you. We need to stay positive!! :)

14 hours ago, TheGansuBrave said:

All IMGs are invited to only one interview for all Ontario Family Medicine programs. You don't really know which school invited you until later. If you are CMG, don't worry about it.

So how does this joint interview work? Are you able to rank all 6 programs or just the school that invited you?

On 11/29/2018 at 1:54 PM, TheGansuBrave said:

I am not entirely sure at this point. I am trying to get an idea from people who have been through this before.

From what I gathered talking to a IMG who graduated from Western FM 2 years ago is that they do something along those lines. He ranked Western first as his wife had a job offer in the area.

Archived