Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2019 Interview -- DISCUSSIONS

medafter30

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, narcpep said:

Hey peeps... I'm gunning for ob/gyn and got only one interview (U of T) - hoping to prepare as best I can and heard they ask a lot of clinical scenario questions - anyone have any advice/material on how to prep for these?

I think there's an obgyn CaRMS 2019 Facebook group which may be helpful.

On 12/13/2018 at 6:10 PM, qszwdxefc said:

lol is there a particular reason why the Jan 23/21 dates for uoft fam med are so popular?

There's nothing special about those dates, but for Calgary students those dates are important because otherwise we have to miss scheduled clinical time to get there for the 19th since we only get two weeks off for interviews. So, for many of us, an interview in Toronto on the 19th means catching our first flight of CaRMS tour immediately after an exam and missing an afternoon that we might have to make up later.

2 minutes ago, Northern light said:

Could you please give more information about what did you hear from Manitoba in Family medicine! I applied to all the FM IMG programs in MB but haven't heard from them yet!

I heard back on december 21st with an invitation to interview for northern remote, Winnipeg and rural parkland (which are all of the IMG programs in Mannitoba as far as im aware), i dont think they inform you if you did not get an interview

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ourlastnight said:

Should one wait to complete all interviews before submitting the rank order list? I have an interview for my top program choice this weekend but should I wait until after the interview to make my rank list? Does it make any difference? Thanks! 

The programs do not have access to your rank list and thus it would not make any difference when you submit.

I have been told to at least have something temporarily submitted since every year there are a couple of people who don't match because they didn't submit their ROL on time.

52 minutes ago, PurpleS said:

The programs do not have access to your rank list and thus it would not make any difference when you submit.

I have been told to at least have something temporarily submitted since every year there are a couple of people who don't match because they didn't submit their ROL on time.

yeah that is the equivalent of not creating or submitting OMSAS on time - it does happen. 

Feel free to create a mock rank early on - it helps I find to cement things when you are forced to actually do it - even if you change it later. 

16 hours ago, beeboop said:

soooooo how did everyone feel about their interviews, lol

I applied for psych (10 programs with 8 interviews) and the interviews were pretty okay for the most part. Nothing weird - the same sort of standard questions coming up over and over again. 

I have one interview left and then the waiting game begins! I’m kinda bummed that my interview at my top choice didn’t go as perfectly as I had imagine as I really want to match there. And then other times I’m worried about going unmatched and hope I get in somewhere. I didn’t apply broadly geographically (ON and QC for me due to family reasons) and anecdotally psych seems more competitive than ever (but who knows). 

Its gonna suck waiting like 4 weeks for the results lol 

how was your experience? 

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, Radiopaque said:

I got family but was gunning for pediatrics. Was it very competitive this year? I applied broadly and was willing to go anywhere. Is there anyone who got peds in an undesirable location that might prefer UT family instead? 

Is switching residencies even allowed? I have been under the impression it’s a binding contract. 

I'm not sure to be honest. I know people who have done it in the US. For the binding contract I assume that program directors just want to make sure that they have enough residents to fill call requirements. And would programs would be better off having residents that want to be there as opposed to residents that matched to their 10th choice? I found www.residentransfer.com and am tempted to sign up, not sure if its worth $30. 

It's a tough break and I realize its too late, but for anyone else reading this thread, if you really don't want to do your backup specialty you always have the option of not matching and trying again the following year with more electives/research/letters and back up then as well. You have to start and do X days of your match, although I don't remember what the penalty is for not doing it. You likely will not be able to switch or transfer prior to starting, as other than Iqaluit there were no open funded peds spots after first round. Once you start you can approach the peds PD about the possibility of a transfer, your PGME office about transfer to programs at other schools, and consider an carms application for any second round spots the following year.

7 hours ago, Radiopaque said:

I got family but was gunning for pediatrics. Was it very competitive this year? I applied broadly and was willing to go anywhere. Is there anyone who got peds in an undesirable location that might prefer UT family instead? 

Why did you back up with FM if you weren't going to be comfortable with it if you got it?

This ongoing trend of people backing up with FM, and then trying to leave once they realize they actually have to do FM, is just going to continue polarizing the views of Family Medicine programs towards auto-rejecting anyone they think is wavering at all. 

7 hours ago, Radiopaque said:

i dont think you can switch once you've been matched, at least for the first 2 years. I think you'll have to finish family medicine and then either do some extra peds training or just re-start residency. I also just matched to family medicine (but have wanted it my whole life), dont worry im sure it'll grow on you! It's amazing :) .... and involves a ton of pediatrics 

Archived