Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Negura Bunget

Thinking of applying to OMFS Programs in the USA?

30 minutes ago, Starburst said:

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Is there anything you would recommend doing now to prepare before starting dental school? And would non-dental research publications help me when applying for OMFS residency?

Nope. Enjoy your time right now. Once dental school starts pace yourself and do well in dental school courses. No need to worry about OMFS stuff at this point. 

• D1-2: Do well in dental school. Shadow here and there at your local OMFS dept and hospital to get a feel of things. 
  • D2-3: Study hard and do well on the CBSE (70+). This takes presendece over shadowing and any other extracirriculars. 
  • D3-4: Look into and do some exterships. A total of ~5 weeks is a good number.  
  • D4: Interview. Match

1 hour ago, Negura Bunget said:

Nope. Enjoy your time right now. Once dental school starts pace yourself and do well in dental school courses. No need to worry about OMFS stuff at this point. 

• D1-2: Do well in dental school. Shadow here and there at your local OMFS dept and hospital to get a feel of things. 
  • D2-3: Study hard and do well on the CBSE (70+). This takes presendece over shadowing and any other extracirriculars. 
  • D3-4: Look into and do some exterships. A total of ~5 weeks is a good number.  
  • D4: Interview. Match

Thank-you! That's helps a lot :) 

40 minutes ago, westcoastbestcoast said:

Do OMFS programs look at undergrad grades? I would think the MD/6-year programs do, but would they hold you to the same high standard as med applicants in terms of your undergrad GPA?

Yup, so really its just the 6y programs that will look at your UG grades.  For many programs, the MD admissions committee is a part of the selection process from the start; sometimes they interview applicants on interview day. But, no I don't think you would be held to the same standard. Some programs probably do have a minimum, but I'd still assume that they'd care way more about the CBSE since its obviously a much better indicator of your ability to pass the the Step 1 and a more recent refection of your work ethic.