Premed 101 Forums
Frederick Sanger

How many med schools have you applied to?

In light of the nearly approaching decisions for the interviews, I wanted to ask around and see how many schools on average people applied to? I am especially interested to see how many IP applicants applied to relative to the OOP ones. Of course, with the cut-offs and in-province biases, the numbers remain relatively small (relative to the US MD schools). I remain curious to hear from you! 

To start this off I am an IP for UBC and I applied to 4 OMSAS schools and McGill adding up to a total of 6 MDs and 2 MD/PhDs.  

4; UBC (IP), Toronto, Mac, Queens. This is comparatively few since I'm an older applicant and would be on track to another great career path in case this doesn't work out (of course, med is still my first preference). I was a lot pickier about which schools to apply to this cycle based off my realistic interview chances at certain schools and preferences. Meanwhile, 2 years ago, I applied to 8 schools. 

I applied to UBC (IP), as well as Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, McMaster, Queens. I also took my MCAT on the last possible date, so I was biting my nails for at least 128 on CARS (for Calgary OOP). I returned to school after a 10 year break, so I had a lot of brushing up to do on the material I hadn’t touched in years. I think UBC is my best chance, although my GPA is a lot higher for Calgary. Definitely starting to feel the nerves, as everyone else has commented! I know we have a long road ahead, with plenty more anxious waiting, so I am trying to keep myself occupied. 

I applied to 6 schools: 

NYU (already rejected pre-interview. I applied very late due to taking MCAT in August), U of T, McMaster (IP), UBC (IP), Queens, and Alberta (OOP). 

If I don't get in this cycle, I'll be applying to probably ~15 American schools next year, but hopefully that won't be necessary because ain't nobody got time or money for that.