Premed 101 Forums

Quality of CCFP-EM programs across Canada

magneto

7 hours ago, #YOLO said:

whichever one takes u. ur really notin a position to be choose

Hahaha, pretty much this right here. You should apply everywhere and hope that ANYONE takes you. If there's somewhere you don't want to go, just don't apply there. Just know that you're most likely not going to match. Everyone who applies thinks they're in the top 10%, but good luck anyways!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2018 at 1:16 AM, #YOLO said:

whichever one takes u. ur really notin a position to be choosey 

I understand the intention behind your post. At the end of the day, CaRMS is a competitive process. And CCFP-EM is very competitive.

But I do want to write for readers of this thread to let them know that residents can be choosey. They can be choosey about how they rank individual programs out there. They can also be choosey to not rank a program for whatever personal or professional or program specific reason. 

Again, not critical of your comment and I understand your point of view. 

11 hours ago, magneto said:

I understand the intention behind your post. At the end of the day, CaRMS is a competitive process. And CCFP-EM is very competitive.

But I do want to write for readers of this thread to let them know that residents can be choosey. They can be choosey about how they rank individual programs out there. They can also be choosey to not rank a program for whatever personal or professional or program specific reason. 

Again, not critical of your comment and I understand your point of view. 

Just as in the R-1 match you can be choosey for various reasons, you just understand that those choices have consequences. Nothing more. Nothing less :)

On 12/22/2018 at 10:16 AM, JohnGrisham said:

Just as in the R-1 match you can be choosey for various reasons, you just understand that those choices have consequences. Nothing more. Nothing less :)

There is one small difference. If a student does not match in R-1 then he/she has a very few options regarding what to do next. These include applying in second round, taking a year off, doing a 5th year, etc.

In CCFP-EM match, if a resident does not match then he/she will still go on to become a family doctor so it is a lot easier on the soul. 

20 hours ago, magneto said:

There is one small difference. If a student does not match in R-1 then he/she has a very few options regarding what to do next. These include applying in second round, taking a year off, doing a 5th year, etc.

In CCFP-EM match, if a resident does not match then he/she will still go on to become a family doctor so it is a lot easier on the soul. 

Agreed. No problem with being choosy if there are other variables in your life. Assuming there is significant difference in quality, you might be willing to sacrifice family life for a year in order to attend a high-quality program, but not for a low-quality program. Seems reasonable to me, I don't know why people are giving you a hard time.

On 12/2/2018 at 8:58 AM, skyuppercutt said:

Hahaha, pretty much this right here. You should apply everywhere and hope that ANYONE takes you. If there's somewhere you don't want to go, just don't apply there. Just know that you're most likely not going to match. Everyone who applies thinks they're in the top 10%, but good luck anyways!

ha true - competitive. Still you need to rank the places that you get anyway, and ranking requires information :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 4:03 PM, F508 said:

Yes of course technically you can get interviews.. but I was wondering in reality, do most people only get interviews from schools they did rotations at? and only all star residents get interviews across the country?

This year CCFP-EM program was competitive (like previous years). Most candidates received only interviews where they did an elective. And many candidates failed to secure an interview even after doing an elective at that program.

My advice is to try to get an elective in the programs/cities where you really want to go for R3. 

There were some all star residents on the interview tour this year for CCFP-EM but even they did not receive interviews across Canada, only at some schools. Number of interviews varied for each candidate. I know some people who got in with only 1 interview. And I also know several people who did not get in even though they were excellent candidates and had multiple interviews. Not sure how they really separate the candidates when most of them will make an excellent R3 EM resident.

Archived