Premed 101 Forums

Need advice on course selection: Biology At York (Starting in January)

Unknown99

Hey guys,

I will join York university in the winter(Biology). I really need help in course selection. I have some questions:1.Will I encounter a problem later on while applying to med schools because I have started in winter because it won’t be considered a full time year? 

It may be a silly question but I want to doublecheck.

2.If I took for example BIO 1000, then should I take also BIO 1001 later because each of those has 3 credits? Do med schools want more credits in biology? Same for CHEM 1000/1001and other courses as well.

3.Will I be able to take Computer starting from winter or is it a full year course?

Thanks in advance, Help would really be appreciated -I am totally lost because I am a transfer student from a university outside Canada,so I am not familiar with universities here and med school requirements.

a fellow yorkie!! 

1. you need to take biol1001 as I believe its a requirement for all biology majors

2. by computer I'm assuming you mean LE/EECS 1520, correct? if so, then yes you can take it in the winter as it is a half year course 

Since you're new at york, here are some websites I think you'll find helpful:

https://schedulebuilder.yorku.ca - this website helps you plan out your schedule before officially adding courses through the REM website. You put in the courses you are planning to take and it comes up with several schedule options for you with different timings, sections, etc.

https://myacademicrecord.students.yorku.ca/degree-progress-report - this shows you all the course requirements needed for you to graduate and tells you which ones you have already taken (satisfied) and which ones you still need to take. I HIGHLY recommend this website for you because if BIOL1001 is a required course for you (which I believe is most likely the case), it'll show up on there and state that it's "Not Yet Satisfied"

hope this was helpful, if you have any more questions about York, let me know and I can try to help!   

On 12/2/2018 at 9:18 PM, Unknown99 said:

Hey guys,

I will join York university in the winter(Biology). I really need help in course selection. I have some questions:1.Will I encounter a problem later on while applying to med schools because I have started in winter because it won’t be considered a full time year? 

It may be a silly question but I want to doublecheck.

2.If I took for example BIO 1000, then should I take also BIO 1001 later because each of those has 3 credits? Do med schools want more credits in biology? Same for CHEM 1000/1001and other courses as well.

3.Will I be able to take Computer starting from winter or is it a full year course?

Thanks in advance, Help would really be appreciated -I am totally lost because I am a transfer student from a university outside Canada,so I am not familiar with universities here and med school requirements.

Hey there,

I did a biomed degree at York. 

1. I am never too sure how to answer this question so i will leave this to someone who is more knowledgeable

2. You definitely need to take BOTH BIOL 1000 and 1001 in order to satisfy your bio degree requirements and they are also prerequisite courses for the second-year biology courses which you will need to take for a biology degree. Medical schools probably don't care how many biology credits an applicant has.

3. Yes the EECS 1520 course is available in the winter years as far I remember.

4. The psychology PSYC 1010 course is for beginners so no prior psychology knowledge needed.

Hope this helps, cheers!

5 hours ago, PremedToronto said:

Hey there,

I did a biomed degree at York. 

1. I am never too sure how to answer this question so i will leave this to someone who is more knowledgeable

2. You definitely need to take BOTH BIOL 1000 and 1001 in order to satisfy your bio degree requirements and they are also prerequisite courses for the second-year biology courses which you will need to take for a biology degree. Medical schools probably don't care how many biology credits an applicant has.

3. Yes the EECS 1520 course is available in the winter years as far I remember.

4. The psychology PSYC 1010 course is for beginners so no prior psychology knowledge needed.

Hope this helps, cheers!

That really helps.Thank you.

Right now every time I try enrolling into Psychology -it states that class is reserved and I couldn’t add the course. 

What can I do about that?

On 12/6/2018 at 3:09 PM, Unknown99 said:

That really helps.Thank you.

Right now every time I try enrolling into Psychology -it states that class is reserved and I couldn’t add the course. 

What can I do about that?

There likely is a date when the psychology department will open up their courses to students with non-psychology majors. You should contact the psychology department and tell them which major you are in and ask when you can start enrolling in them. If you are a biomed major, make sure you tell them this as well since it is actually one of your requirements.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I am Biology major,but I guess Psyc 1010 counts as one of the science breadth courses for me. 

Thank you.

I heard that Chem 1000 is hard. I am really worried.

I haven’t studied chemistry for a long time, so that may be a concern.

What can I do to be on the safe side when I take the course?

I got other questions too: How well can I also prepare for Econ 1000 - Biol 1000-Psyc 1010 

On 12/9/2018 at 11:58 AM, PremedToronto said:

There likely is a date when the psychology department will open up their courses to students with non-psychology majors. You should contact the psychology department and tell them which major you are in and ask when you can start enrolling in them. If you are a biomed major, make sure you tell them this as well since it is actually one of your requirements.

6 hours ago, Unknown99 said:

Actually, I am Biology major,but I guess Psyc 1010 counts as one of the science breadth courses for me. 

Thank you.

I heard that Chem 1000 is hard. I am really worried.

I haven’t studied chemistry for a long time, so that may be a concern.

What can I do to be on the safe side when I take the course?

I got other questions too: How well can I also prepare for Econ 1000 - Biol 1000-Psyc 1010 

Difficult to answer those questions without knowing your background. If you are truly worried about starting CHEM1000 and BIOL1000, you may wish to take the preparation courses, I believe they are labelled as CHEM and BIOL 1500 or something. You can ask your academic advisor at your enrolment appointment. You can also just review yourself and flip through your grade 12 stuff since most of those courses will take off from there.

For ECON, you probably didn't take it in high school and I didn't either. So not sure how you can prepare for that but it's not a heavy course.

Archived