Premed 101 Forums

Insight on residency & matching?

Just need a little insight on this topic. Is residency matching locational depending on medical school? Lets say you want to match into Emerg and your currently in McMaster...is it possible to match into hospitals/rotations in Toronto or are you 100% going to have to match into something in Hamilton? Therefore U of T Med students get the hospitals in the Toronto area. Correct me if I'm wrong

Cheers,

Victor

1 hour ago, VictorLin0725 said:

Just need a little insight on this topic. Is residency matching locational depending on medical school? Lets say you want to match into Emerg and your currently in McMaster...is it possible to match into hospitals/rotations in Toronto or are you 100% going to have to match into something in Hamilton? Therefore U of T Med students get the hospitals in the Toronto area. Correct me if I'm wrong

Cheers,

Victor

Residency is completely separate from medical school. For residency you apply to and rank programs at each location across Canada that you’re potentially interested in training in. People who want competitive specialties will generally apply to that specialty at schools across the whole country. People who care more about location may apply to several different programs at the same school.

You really want to do an elective where you intend to apply, if possible, as they prefer no surprises and will thus have the opportunity to get to know you and determine first hand if you will be a good fit. Knowing you on paper and a 10-20 minute interview is second best and anybody decent who has applied and had an elective will have a significant advantage over you.

On 12/3/2018 at 7:23 PM, VictorLin0725 said:

Cheers,

Victor

Like others have mentioned, residency and med school are separate. You can do med school in one place and do residency anywhere across the country. People are more likely to stay in the same area for a number of reasons: 1. they are from there 2. they have liked and decided to settle there 3. they had the connections there and their more preferred choices did not take them 

There are certain advantages when you apply to your home school, especially for a competitive field like Emerg, your chances are best at your home school. 

Archived