Premed 101 Forums

Just wanting some insight on UOttawa as an undergraduate school for BioMed/Health Science. So I've got a few questions for people who have attended:

1. How is the campus? (I've heard people say its really ugly and that lecture halls/equipment are old/poor funding)

2. How good is the medical student community? (Support from people going through premed/mcat/etc)

3. How is it for someone who doesn't speak French? (I've heard it can be a little difficult becuase they focus a lot on French and that some Professors may have heavy french accents lol)

4. Would you suggest BioMed or Health science for undergrad in terms of useful knowledge to build a foundation for Med school or the MCAT (Is Coop any good for these programs?)

5. Why is UOttawa ranked so low in terms of good universities/student satisfaction? For such a big name as "UOttawa" is seems to be hovering at Ryerson/York/Guelph level instead of Queens/Western level)

I know thats a lot of questions but would appreciate any input, 

Thanks in advance!

On 12/4/2018 at 1:09 PM, RichardUnderwoodMTB said:

1. How is the campus? (I've heard people say its really ugly and that lecture halls/equipment are old/poor funding)

The campus overall is definitely not as pretty looking as some others. However, it does have some nice old architectural buildings like Tabaret, Arts, the Indigenous studies building. It also added quite a few new buildings in the past couple of years (social sciences, STEM, cross-roads) that are super modern. Some of the buildings are old and poor functioning (*cough marion* which is the largest lecture hall). But as I said, they also have a lot of new buildings/equipment so it depends on where your classes are.

2. How good is the medical student community? (Support from people going through premed/mcat/etc)

The medical school campus is separate from the main campus. In university, you are pretty much on your own for these things. If you can find a group of friends going through the same thing, all the better. This forum is a good resource of information for taking the MCAT, applying, etc. Profs and academic advisors don't know much about it in general. Doing your own research is the most useful - and you are already way ahead of the game! 

3. How is it for someone who doesn't speak French? (I've heard it can be a little difficult becuase they focus a lot on French and that some Professors may have heavy french accents lol)

I don't speak French fluently. I have to say it can be a little bit difficult. A lot of courses are offered in both French and English. I have heard from my friends that the French class sections are sometimes better as they can be smaller and have better profs. If you choose to partake in co-op or research, some opportunities will be French or bilingual only (especially government positions).

4. Would you suggest BioMed or Health science for undergrad in terms of useful knowledge to build a foundation for Med school or the MCAT (Is Coop any good for these programs?

In undergrad, I would recommend pursuing the program where you can achieve the highest GPA possible for admissions in Canada. Biomed is very science and lab heavy. Health science focuses more on the social determinants of health. Because biomed is science heavy, you will have taken all of the courses covered on the MCAT. In health science you won't take those courses so if you want extra prep for the MCAT you can take them as electives or under a science minor (biology, life sciences, etc.) which you can add to your degree. Co-op opportunities are good for all programs at uOttawa, especially if you speak French to secure a government position (at Health Canada, for example). Biomed lends itself more to lab research positions if you are interested in that.

5. Why is UOttawa ranked so low in terms of good universities/student satisfaction? For such a big name as "UOttawa" is seems to be hovering at Ryerson/York/Guelph level instead of Queens/Western level)

In my opinion, it is ranked relatively low compared to other schools like Queens and Western because it is easier to get into for undergrad (don't let that stop you from attending though, rankings are subjective and mean nothing at the end of the day). Also, the food isn't great LOL and it lacks a school spirit/party vibe compared to those other schools if you are interested in that. 

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about uOttawa or university in general :)

On 12/4/2018 at 2:38 PM, caramilk said:

The campus overall is definitely not as pretty looking as others, like Western (attended there originally then transferred). However, it does have some nice old architectural buildings like Tabaret, Arts, the Indigenous studies building. It also added quite a few new buildings in the past couple of years (social sciences, STEM, cross-roads) that are super modern. Some of the buildings are old and poor functioning (*cough marion* which is the largest lecture hall). But as I said, they also have a lot of new buildings/equipment so it depends on where your classes are.

The medical school campus is separate from the main campus. In university, you are pretty much on your own for these things. If you can find a group of friends going through the same thing, all the better. This forum is a good resource of information for taking the MCAT, applying, etc. Profs and academic advisors don't know much about it in general. Doing your own research is the most useful - and you are already way ahead of the game! 

I don't speak French. I have to say it can be a little bit difficult. A lot of courses are offered in both French and English. I have heard from my friends that the French class sections are sometimes better as they can be smaller and have better profs. If you choose to partake in co-op or research, some opportunities will be French or bilingual only (especially government positions).

In undergrad, I would recommend pursuing the program where you can achieve the highest GPA possible for admissions in Canada. Biomed is very science and lab heavy. Health science focuses more on the social determinants of health. Because biomed is science heavy, you will have taken all of the courses covered on the MCAT. In health science you won't take those courses so if you want extra prep for the MCAT you can take them as electives or under a science minor (biology, life sciences, etc.) which you can add to your degree. Co-op opportunities are good for all programs at uOttawa, especially if you speak French to secure a government position (at Health Canada, for example). Biomed lends itself more to lab research positions if you are interested in that.

In my opinion as a student here, it is ranked relatively low compared to other schools like Queens and Western because it is easier to get into for undergrad (don't let that stop you from attending though, rankings are subjected and mean nothing at the end of the day). Also, the food sucks on campus LOL and it lacks a school spirit/party vibe compared to those other schools if you are interested in that. 

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about uOttawa or university in general :)

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my questions, it is defiently a school at the top of my list! I'd figure the lack of partying is a downside but hey, more time to study haha. Love the city in general. Any specific reason you transfered out of western? I've been deciding between the two. (will definetly pm you for anymore questions, applying soon so would love someone with insight such as you)

Cheers

Archived