Premed 101 Forums

Quebec applicant? (ontario's medical schools)

Hi everyone!

I am from Montreal and I would like some information about the application process in Ontario's medical schools for Quebec citizens. 

I am currently finishing my last year of CEGEP (I don't really know what's the equivalent in Ontario). I am going to apply to every Quebec's medical school this year, but I would also like to try in Ontario, if it's possible. I did not find a lot of information on internet about the process... Help, please?

I would also like to apply into dentistry everywhere and optometry in Waterloo. Is it possible?

Thank you so much and good luck everyone !

Hello LouLou.

Unfortunately, you will be unable to apply to any of the programs you have mentioned. Medical School in Ontario requires a minimum of three years of Undergraduate studies (we do not have an equivalent to CEGEP) as well as the MCAT. The same applies to Dentistry but requiring the DAT. 

Consider yourself lucky that you reside in Quebec, it is the only province that you can realistically apply to all the professional programs you have mentioned while not writing any admission exams. You also have the cheapest tuition in the country.

Best of luck!

To add to what Aetherus said, Quebec is your only opportunity to apply for medicine, dentistry and optometry without first completing at least 3 years of a Bachelor's degree in Canada. Western, Manitoba, USask and a few others will actually require that you obtain your degree by the time you begin your professional degree. There is no CEGEP equivalent in the rest of Canada - we just finish high school one year later than Quebec and essentially start university/college one year sooner than Quebec.

Archived