Premed 101 Forums

Transfer residency programs in Ontario

I've seen transfers happen. It's difficult to say what the rate of success might be, since it depends entirely on whether the program has space to accept you, and whether they agree to take you. A transfer within the same school would be easiest logistically.

Based on what you've written about your reasons for transfer and the fact that you haven't done an elective, I would just want to make sure that you can articulate why radiology is a good fit for you. This is more for your sake, since burnout is becoming more and more of an issue in this field. My colleagues who transferred into radiology from other fields are happy with their choice, but did state that the lifestyle was not what they anticipated heading in. Residents on call work straight through the night making decision after decision significantly affecting patient management, under conditions of high time pressure and demand for accuracy. Staff may work fewer night hours but it is the same during the daytime; there is zero downtime in the hospital setting. It's a great career for those who enjoy the work, but just ensure that you have a realistic idea of what you are getting into.

Archived