Premed 101 Forums

Chances for a graduate student (non-traditional) going into PharmD?

Korra101

Hello,

Apologies if this is in the wrong discussion group. Still learning to navigate on the site.

I have an overall GPA of 78%. Basically in my first and second year of undergrad I was having a rough time (2.7 gpa in year 1 and 2.0 in year 2). But managed to pull my weight in years 3 and 4 (3.7 and 3.9 GPA). I also took some summer classes and re-took a few courses to bring my GPA to that 78%.

I haven't written the PCAT but am fairly confident I will score well. I plan on taking a year off after I  defend my Master's to focus on the PCAT and some course  prerequisites for the pharmacy program. That being said... what do you folks think are my chances of getting an offer from Waterloo or UofT? I am currently finishing up my Master's degree in biochemistry (it does involve drug related research) and will be volunteering in a pharmacy starting in the new year. I took a year off during my undergrad and worked full time as a lab tech (part of a co-op). I have buckets of research experience and a few papers coming out soon but I think pharma is my calling.

I need the hard truth. Am I competitive for a PharmD program? I'm turning 25 and worried I'm too old to try. 

Thanks all.

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2018 at 10:47 PM, Korra101 said:

Hello,

Apologies if this is in the wrong discussion group. Still learning to navigate on the site.

I have an overall GPA of 78%. Basically in my first and second year of undergrad I was having a rough time (2.7 gpa in year 1 and 2.0 in year 2). But managed to pull my weight in years 3 and 4 (3.7 and 3.9 GPA). I also took some summer classes and re-took a few courses to bring my GPA to that 78%.

I haven't written the PCAT but am fairly confident I will score well. I plan on taking a year off after I  defend my Master's to focus on the PCAT and some course  prerequisites for the pharmacy program. That being said... what do you folks think are my chances of getting an offer from Waterloo or UofT? I am currently finishing up my Master's degree in biochemistry (it does involve drug related research) and will be volunteering in a pharmacy starting in the new year. I took a year off during my undergrad and worked full time as a lab tech (part of a co-op). I have buckets of research experience and a few papers coming out soon but I think pharma is my calling.

I need the hard truth. Am I competitive for a PharmD program? I'm turning 25 and worried I'm too old to try. 

Thanks all.

Their cut off on their website says 75%. If you have all the course prerequisite’s and do good on the PCAT I can’t see why you wouldn’t get in :)

i don’t think 25 is too old. I have a family friend who was 32 with kids who literally spent 8 years to study pharmacy because she was working during her undergrad. She finished and got a job right away and lives in a nice house and seems to be happy. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/6/2018 at 8:47 PM, Korra101 said:

Hello,

Thanks all.

You're older than average. Not too old, but "old" in the sense that most of your peers in pharmacy, if you do get in, will be significantly younger.