Premed 101 Forums

Maternity Leave after residency

3 hours ago, jdog101 said:

Does anyone have experience with maternity leave after residency? I was thinking of trying to plan a pregnancy such that I become pregnant in my final year and then have the baby a few months after residency is done. Would I be eligible for EI benefits? 

I will see if I can get some people in the forum with more experience with the EI system to comment. Based on what they have said in the past then yes you would be as you would have worked the prereq number of weeks prior. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2018 at 2:19 AM, jdog101 said:

Thanks rmorelan 

Just don't get pregnancy complications and screw up your ability to study or write the exam. At the very least make sure the period of viability is after the exam. 

Honestly, I would just wait till it is all over to get pregnant. The delay is a few months but the outcomes if you can't write or fail are catastrophic. 

We had two premature kids, one after a very complicated pregnancy. Both are fine now, but I can't imagine the disaster if I had to do an RC exam at the same time. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/8/2018 at 2:31 PM, jdog101 said:

Does anyone have experience with maternity leave after residency? I was thinking of trying to plan a pregnancy such that I become pregnant in my final year and then have the baby a few months after residency is done. Would I be eligible for EI benefits? 

You would qualify for EI - your hours worked as a resident count even though it's a different job than your staff employment. Max is about $500/week through EI only. I only have experience in BC - Doctors of BC has a program that I think bumps it up to $1000/wk, but I'm still a resident and don't know the details. 

Things to think about: difficult 1st and 2nd trimester (especially 1st) may make it ++ difficult to study (I experienced this prior to LMCC2), risk of preterm delivery (low risk but there), complicated pregnancy preventing you from flying for RC exam, etc.

Not sure where you are in training, but I'm currently on my 2nd mat leave (5yr program) and happy to chat.

ETA: I'm at UBC

Archived