Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Health Science Admission

sam12

Hi I am currently in grade 11 and am wondering if applying to SHAD and LEAP at McMaster will improve my chances of getting an acceptance from McMaster for their health science program. I am really passionate of going into med school and want to know if going to these programs will improve my chances.

Thanks.

Mac health sci admissions are based on three arbitrary essays once you meet the 90% minimum. That's it. They don't consider your resume, your awards, your extracurriculars, none of that. It's a very subjective admissions process and depends on the questions that year, and who you happen to have scoring your essays (they're scored by fourth year health sci students; some tend to give out higher scores than others). As someone who was accepted to Mac health sci back in the day and turned it down, getting into that program does not have anything to do with being "really passionate" about "going into med school". You can truly get into med school from any program and any school. Really consider what Mac Health Sci is like as a program - I have tons of friends who went through it, and some loved it while others went solely for the reputation and the supposed increased chances of getting into med later on and absolutely hated their 3/4 years in the program.

13 minutes ago, xiphoid said:

Mac health sci admissions are based on three arbitrary essays once you meet the 90% minimum. That's it. They don't consider your resume, your awards, your extracurriculars, none of that. It's a very subjective admissions process and depends on the questions that year, and who you happen to have scoring your essays (they're scored by fourth year health sci students; some tend to give out higher scores than others). As someone who was accepted to Mac health sci back in the day and turned it down, getting into that program does not have anything to do with being "really passionate" about "going into med school". You can truly get into med school from any program and any school. Really consider what Mac Health Sci is like as a program - I have tons of friends who went through it, and some loved it while others went solely for the reputation and the supposed increased chances of getting into med later on and absolutely hated their 3/4 years in the program.

Wow not many people reject an offer of admission

What undergrad program did you do then>

9 hours ago, sam12 said:

Hi I am currently in grade 11 and am wondering if applying to SHAD and LEAP at McMaster will improve my chances of getting an acceptance from McMaster for their health science program. I am really passionate of going into med school and want to know if going to these programs will improve my chances.

Thanks.

It will not.

There is no program that will improve your chances- almost all medical schools in Ontario don't care what program you were enrolled in. With that in mind- pick a program that you actually enjoy and not one for the "prestige". You want to be somewhere that you'll be happy if you're going to dedicate 4+ years of your life to it.

44 minutes ago, Hypercalcemia said:

There is no program that will improve your chances- almost all medical schools in Ontario don't care what program you were enrolled in. With that in mind- pick a program that you actually enjoy and not one for the "prestige". You want to be somewhere that you'll be happy if you're going to dedicate 4+ years of your life to it.

Yes and No.

While its true that you "can" get into med school from any undergraduate program, some program in nature are "structured" in such a way that it makes you more competitive. McMaster health sci is well known for this due to the fact that apparently it is fairly easy to maintain a high GPA (#1 criteria for med school), also with counselors and alumni that you can connect with to hone/improve your med school application/interview skills. Because of this, >80% of McMaster health sci ppl get into med

On 12/9/2018 at 11:02 PM, sam12 said:

Thanks.

It won't, all that matters is your essays and high school grades. 

Archived